My 9 years old son likes to play Barbie doll

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My 9 years old son likes to play Barbie doll

Postby Wind Lim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:10 pm

My ds likes to play with Lego but after he gets to play with neighbor's daughter's Barbie doll, he seems addicted and ask me to buy Barbie doll for him to play.

What do you think? Should I buy for him?

Wind Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: My 9 years old son likes to play Barbie doll

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm

hmmm...have you asked him what he likes about Barbie?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KingWong » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I also have some worried about my son.

My DS always play with my neighbor's daughter with their barbie doll.

Although my wife always said that I think too much about it, but I really scare he become girly and he will gets bully when he grow up.

KingWong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby feris0604 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:27 pm

I would like to think that this is a phase in his growing years. Surely the addiction will pass as he is exposed to other things in days to come. Be wise when handling this matter. He needs to experience this and then move on. All children grow up differently. Just be patient.

feris0604
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Kids like to engage make-believe play, and if Barbie dolls are available, they will be used. You can get male doll figures for boys instead if you don't want them to own Barbies. An alternative is model figures which come with building toys like Playmobil or Lego.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:56 pm

At 9 years old, he might be able to convey his reasons? Why would he choose a barbie doll over (some other toy)? See what his reasons are. From there you can gauge a response.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Wind Lim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

feris0604 wrote:I would like to think that this is a phase in his growing years. Surely the addiction will pass as he is exposed to other things in days to come. Be wise when handling this matter. He needs to experience this and then move on. All children grow up differently. Just be patient.

Thank you so much for your opinion. I asked my ds regarding this matter, and he said that he enjoy dress up Barbie doll. My wife agreed to buy a Barbie doll for him this weekend.

Wind Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Mmmm... if you are uncomfortable with barbie dolls, why don't you get "BUILD-A-BEAR" for your ds. He can dress up the bear or dog too. :)

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby happy to be mum » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Wind Lim wrote:
feris0604 wrote:I would like to think that this is a phase in his growing years. Surely the addiction will pass as he is exposed to other things in days to come. Be wise when handling this matter. He needs to experience this and then move on. All children grow up differently. Just be patient.

Thank you so much for your opinion. I asked my ds regarding this matter, and he said that he enjoy dress up Barbie doll. My wife agreed to buy a Barbie doll for him this weekend.

Hi Wind

I feel that you should not buy a doll for him. Okay, maybe I think too much but if my boys will to ask me and DH to buy a Barbie doll, I think my DH will be super worried. I will be very worried too and will not buy for him.

You see, DH work's exposed him to alot of gays and to him, he always feel gays are in born from young. So if DH ever sense or feel or notice DS likes dolls or behave sissyly, he will try to steer him back being more boy. We have 2 boys and will worried about this issue. It is common but hope our boys will just be normal boys. Luckily so far, DS1 is into boys' games and dislikes disney or Cinderalla, etc ;)

Maybe you have to try to observe your son more and like what I said, I might have think too much ;)

happy to be mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Imp75 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 pm

yes I agree, already my colleague is very worried when his 4-year old son runs with "dangling" hands and acts girlishly though no girlie toy request yet

For a 9 yearer to ask for a doll to dress up, I have not heard of this before but I will certainly be very concerned. Is this a recent phenomenon or otherwise?

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child