How to get child to sleep through the night in his own room?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to get child to sleep through the night in his own room?

Postby busygal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 am

Dear all,

Anyone with tips or advise, or even tried and tested method to get a child to sleep through the night in their own room, please share. My son used to sleep through the night without waking up. But since sleeping in his own room, he'll wake up several time after falling asleep, and eventually sleep through the night in my room. He had no problem falling asleep in his own room. I normally stay in his room and he is usually asleep within 5 minutes, but would wake up in the middle of the night to sleep in our room. He claim to want to be near mummy. How to help him feel more secure and convince him to sleep through the night in his own room?

busygal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to get child to sleep through the night in his own r

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:56 am

busygal wrote:Dear all,

Anyone with tips or advise, or even tried and tested method to get a child to sleep through the night in their own room, please share. My son used to sleep through the night without waking up. But since sleeping in his own room, he'll wake up several time after falling asleep, and eventually sleep through the night in my room. He had no problem falling asleep in his own room. I normally stay in his room and he is usually asleep within 5 minutes, but would wake up in the middle of the night to sleep in our room. He claim to want to be near mummy. How to help him feel more secure and convince him to sleep through the night in his own room?

You need to stop staying in his room until he falls asleep. If you do that, when he wakes in the middle of the night, he will want you there before he goes to sleep again. Develop a good bedtime routine going, but say goodnight and leave before he falls asleep.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby busygal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 am

slmkhoo wrote:
busygal wrote:Dear all,

You need to stop staying in his room until he falls asleep. If you do that, when he wakes in the middle of the night, he will want you there before he goes to sleep again. Develop a good bedtime routine going, but say goodnight and leave before he falls asleep.

Thanks Simkhoo, will give that a try. Hopefully it works. Hoping to settle him down before the sch year begins in January.

busygal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ran1977 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am

hi dear, try encouraging him lots..and for the first few days-give him a small reward (like a hand-drawn star, a small sticker)...eventually as he gets better - remove the 'material reward' and simply use lots of praises each day he can sleep till the morning in his own room - I tried that since we moved to our new house in April and it works:)
Also lots of talking and sharing helps too...

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby busygal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Ran1977 wrote:hi dear, try encouraging him lots..and for the first few days-give him a small reward (like a hand-drawn star, a small sticker)...eventually as he gets better - remove the 'material reward' and simply use lots of praises each day he can sleep till the morning in his own room - I tried that since we moved to our new house in April and it works:)

Thanks for the tip, Ran1977. Will try to incorporate some form of reward. Hopefully it works. How long does it take before your child is able to sleep alone through the night? In the mean time, especially the first few nights, when they run to your room, do u let them in or send them back to their own room?

busygal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:22 am

busygal wrote:
Ran1977 wrote:hi dear, try encouraging him lots..and for the first few days-give him a small reward (like a hand-drawn star, a small sticker)...eventually as he gets better - remove the 'material reward' and simply use lots of praises each day he can sleep till the morning in his own room - I tried that since we moved to our new house in April and it works:)

Thanks for the tip, Ran1977. Will try to incorporate some form of reward. Hopefully it works. How long does it take before your child is able to sleep alone through the night? In the mean time, especially the first few nights, when they run to your room, do u let them in or send them back to their own room?

With kids, consistency is the key. In the middle of the night, you should still bring him back to his room and leave him there awake to fall asleep by himself. If you gve in to fussing and crying, he will try his luck every time. Some kids are more stubborn than others, and if he is already 6yo, then it may take longer. I trained my babies under 1yo, so they couldn't walk yet!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ran1977 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 am

slmkhoo wrote:
busygal wrote:

With kids, consistency is the key. In the middle of the night, you should still bring him back to his room and leave him there awake to fall asleep by himself. If you gve in to fussing and crying, he will try his luck every time. Some kids are more stubborn than others, and if he is already 6yo, then it may take longer. I trained my babies under 1yo, so they couldn't walk yet!

I agree completely...do not give him (even when he is crying)...I had to make my heart strong and do not give in his pleas and cries to come and sleep with me...that's way they will learn cos it is true - if you give in - they will keep trying cos they know mummy will agree...Even when they come to your room at night, just pretend to sleep and don't even bother to wake up..eventually they will learn that "Even mummy is sleeping, I should just go back to my room and sleep!"...I did all this and within 10days-2 weeks my 4.5year (who was sleeping with me since birth) learnt to sleep in his own room in our new house...You can do it!Just be persistent and firm!!

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sweetbaby » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:41 am

My ds started to sleep in his own room since he was 3. We slowly progressed from letting him fall asleep in our room and later carrying him to his bed in his room to him falling asleep on his own, in his own bed in his room in about a year. By the time he was 5, he does his own night routine and goes to bed at the designated bedtime. It definitely hasnt been easy, there were lots of digressing esp during stressful periods. like another parent said earlier, consistency is important. It helps to encourage ownership of his room, etc decor, fav toys. Also during trying periods; flashlight, light sticks, twinkling lights etc to make it fun or as distractions.

sweetbaby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child