All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academically

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Post Reply
joannelim1975
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 27,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by joannelim1975 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:35 pm

True... All e work is getting so hard now..no wonder more and more ppl looking into brain enrichment stuff... Improves processing and learning speed.. Placed my child with one tutor who does some of the brain enrichment stuff apart from academics.. Ddaughter learning betterment less stubborn...

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40766
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:140

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by janet88 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 pm

bb_ mom wrote:And there's 5 questions like that in paper 2! :faint: I've been repeating to DS to read each sentence and stop to process. And underline information provided. And then after doing all his workings, read to check what is the question. But he still not doing it. :slapshead: Something to work very hard on. And is applies to science and English.
I planned her revision for June holidays...working on section C (problem sums)...when she saw a LONG problem sum at the end, she freaked out.
Every line needs to be processed. For science OE, she only reads the first part and forgets the second part which requires a reason :slapshead:

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8673
Joined: Mon Nov 25,
Total Likes:13

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by bb_ mom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Tomorrow's the 1st day that we're touching math problem sums again. :yikes: Re-visiting old concepts and introduce 1 new concept.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40766
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:140

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by janet88 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:02 pm

bb_ mom wrote:Tomorrow's the 1st day that we're touching math problem sums again. :yikes: Re-visiting old concepts and introduce 1 new concept.
Mornings, she will do either comprehension, grammar, vocab, cloze or synthesis. Nights, alternate between math and science. Need to cover topics tested for SA1 before new term begins. Play time is from 11am to 7pm.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8673
Joined: Mon Nov 25,
Total Likes:13

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by bb_ mom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
bb_ mom wrote:Tomorrow's the 1st day that we're touching math problem sums again. :yikes: Re-visiting old concepts and introduce 1 new concept.
Mornings, she will do either comprehension, grammar, vocab, cloze or synthesis. Nights, alternate between math and science. Need to cover topics tested for SA1 before new term begins. Play time is from 11am to 7pm.
Almost similar schedule! But I slot in compo/situational writing on Tuesday nights. His downtime/playtime is scattered though the day cos he has revision time in the afternoons too.


buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 21944
Joined: Wed Dec 31,
Total Likes:87

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by buds » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Just finished going through one top school paper. I am having headache already! :cry:

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8673
Joined: Mon Nov 25,
Total Likes:13

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by bb_ mom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 pm

For DD2? I would have same reaction if I gave top school paper to DS. During prep for SA1, I gave him paper from 2nd tier school to avoid stressing him. If can do, great! Boost his confidence. Otherwise, if give top school paper and he struggles, I'll spin into panic mode! And he'll spin into "I'm stupid" stage.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 21944
Joined: Wed Dec 31,
Total Likes:87

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by buds » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:50 pm

I was the one who went into the "why the heck they set this kinda questions" mode. :frustrated:

I totally know what you mean.

It's like they give their best-est effort. Column for neat workings. Underline key info/clues. Process info. Offered step by step workings. Then marking time realized still got questions wrong either for careless mistakes or understood question wrongly. The twist n turn language type questions don't need to say la. :faint:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40766
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:140

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by janet88 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Math problem sums, but more like English comprehension...what in the world is going on? Already weak academically...when faced with this neither math nor English exams will kill the kids and parents.
English passages may be a little easier under new format, but it's a great shift from conventional questions to true/false and give a reason.
Is the syllabus meant to kill the kids' interest in learning?

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8673
Joined: Mon Nov 25,
Total Likes:13

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Post by bb_ mom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 pm

buds wrote:I was the one who went into the "why the heck they set this kinda questions" mode. :frustrated:

I totally know what you mean.

It's like they give their best-est effort. Column for neat workings. Underline key info/clues. Process info. Offered step by step workings. Then marking time realized still got questions wrong either for careless mistakes or understood question wrongly. The twist n turn language type questions don't need to say la. :faint:
Your Dd2 is very guai to do all these! DS handwriting and workings all over. Sometimes steps not shown. Keep reminding him to underline and indicate clearly what each math sentence represents. But goes in 1 ear and out the other. :stompfeet:

Post Reply