All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academically

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
EyeLevelSembawang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academically

Post by EyeLevelSembawang » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Sometimes it could be that the child has some learning gaps that hinder their understanding of new material. More and more new material overwhelms the child and they get labelled as slow or weak. This generalisation is demoralising and detrimental.

Let's take kindergarten level Math as an example. A child who has no number sense i.e. understanding that numerals refer to a quantity will end up memorising number sequence blindly. After that when the teacher moves on to addition, the child ends up memorising the numerals and '+' / '=' symbols. This might work for awhile until the teacher does bigger and bigger numbers.

Another situation is finger counting. Children who depend on finger counting lack speed and accuracy. When they fall behind their peers, younger children give up.

Ultimately as a parent you have to decide if it is necessary to keep doing exactly what the school is doing. It might be that you need to rewind a bit. Go back to earlier material to determine the source of the weakness. Find a teacher who can help you troubleshoot. It is likely that your child isn't the school teacher's weakest student so they might not stand out to the school teacher as needing extra help, especially if they aren't the trouble makers.

Your instinct as a parent is always the right one. So if you feel that teachers or the school isn't helping you will have to advocate for your child before academic weakness turns into an abhorrence for learning.

Changyingchen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Changyingchen » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Sometimes you should show to your child that you have the authority over them so they will listen to you. Then, if you have that one you should set rules in using gadgets ang internet so they will have the discipline. You may use it as a reward system like if they finish studying their lessons, they can have 30-minutes internet use. Something like that...

Changyingchen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Changyingchen » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Sometimes you should show to your child that you have the authority over them so they will listen to you. Then, if you have that one you should set rules in using gadgets ang internet so they will have the discipline. You may use it as a reward system like if they finish studying their lessons, they can have 30-minutes internet use. Something like that...

sergeykang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sergeykang » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Had similar experiences too. My son who is currently in Sec 3 this year likes learning new things in general, but hates studying (the notion and rigour of it). While studying for his PSLE, I tried a variety of teaching methods to stimulate interest in him, for example using his favourite cartoons or anime to teach science concepts.

Back in pri sch, he failed exam after exam and I got so worried. But after I changed my teaching style, there was a lot of improvement and he eventually managed to score 201 for PSLE.

I think the ways/methods parents or schools use to teach children has really big impacts on overall learning and interest. It's difficult sometimes but you just need to find that one method that makes a difference to your child. As well as constantly believing in him/her.

EyeLevelSembawang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EyeLevelSembawang » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:18 am

sergeykang wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:35 pm
Had similar experiences too. My son who is currently in Sec 3 this year likes learning new things in general, but hates studying (the notion and rigour of it). While studying for his PSLE, I tried a variety of teaching methods to stimulate interest in him, for example using his favourite cartoons or anime to teach science concepts.

Back in pri sch, he failed exam after exam and I got so worried. But after I changed my teaching style, there was a lot of improvement and he eventually managed to score 201 for PSLE.

I think the ways/methods parents or schools use to teach children has really big impacts on overall learning and interest. It's difficult sometimes but you just need to find that one method that makes a difference to your child. As well as constantly believing in him/her.
That's a wonderful anecdote with a great example of teaching your child and not teaching a child. Multimedia literacy is also very important today and many children are naturally drawn towards screens and technology anyway so you were right on the money to use this interest as a catalyst for learning. After all, the current teaching style does not match your son's learning style so why not change it up?

I also love how you are always in his corner and celebrating his personal bests.

sergeykang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sergeykang » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks haha! My son also kinda got me into liking anime as well.

Sadly I'm not able to do this for long because of my work commitments. Also because he'll be taking O lvls soon, and I don't really have the ability teach him A-Maths or Pure Sciences that kind of stuff. :(

My son also told me he's been struggling quite a bit with the above subjects. He says he finds it hard to grasp such concepts.

Should I consider tuition for him? Personally idm paying for those high-end tuition centres.

EarthQuek
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by EarthQuek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:26 am

That's a wonderful anecdote with a great example of teaching your child and not teaching a child. Multimedia literacy is also very important today and many children are naturally drawn towards screens and technology anyway so you were right on the money to use this interest as a catalyst for learning. After all, the current teaching style does not match your son's learning style so why not change it up?
Hi EyeLevelSembawang :xedfingers:
the underlined statement you made is interesting, could you kindly share more details and meaning to it?
Thks with Rdgs
:salute:

jengoh18
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jengoh18 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:16 am

Providing assistance to parents who want to help their P5/6 kids in math.

As a tutor in the education industry for 9 years, the most common issue that parents have been raising to me throughout the years is that: The mathematics from P4 to P5 is a leap! You may feel that the once a week tuition lesson that your child is attending may not be enough, and you would like to help him/her when he/she is doing homework/revision. I'm offering a free trial enrichment workshop for parents. Materials will be provided and questions are welcome during the session.

In view of the current covid-19 outbreak, these sessions can only be conducted in small groups or through webinar/ skype, so slots are limited. Simply text your name, your child's level and school to 8617 9386 or email the details to jennifergoh18@gmail.com to register. You're welcome to drop me emails with math qns that you're facing problem with. I will collate the popular qns and discuss them during the session.

Shek
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Shek » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Lack of sleep and a poor diet contribute to academic struggles. Make sure your child gets 9 to 9 ½ hours of sleep a night and has a proper diet.

GavinB13
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by GavinB13 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Regardless of your child's age, the occasional school struggle is normal. But when that struggle becomes a pattern, it often raises concern―from parents and/or teachers.

If you suspect something isn't quite right, trust your instincts and speak up!
https://www.healthychildren.org/English ... -Help.aspx