All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academically

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
gracey_yeo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academically

Post by gracey_yeo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Getting a tutor for the subject can also help. Often, the one-on-one attention a tutor provides will shed light on any skill gaps a child may have.

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

Post by RoastChickenDance » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 pm

NTU online workshop - Motivating Gen Z Learners: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know
https://www.coursera.org/learn/motivate-genz-learners

Linaaa
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Linaaa » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Give time and effort to your child, a little goes a long the way

Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Czeec80 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Let your child make his own mistakes. It’s hard not to correct a child’s homework, but most teachers ask you not to take over unless your child asks for your help or the teacher requests it. Teachers generally want to know what the child understands, not what the parent understands about the material.

BranT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by BranT » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Be Patient with the Process. It may take time, and patience is key to keeping stress under control.

mindscape
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Disappointed and discouraged

Post by mindscape » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:19 pm

kwcllf wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 am
Limit the use of computer, social media, games.

Alot of kids just get hooked to them and spend disproportionate amount of time on them than studies.
This is my struggle. But I turned the struggle to a positive one; engaging responsibility, fun and learning with these things (ie use of computer/gadgets/social media). I admit it is aint easy but with continuous communication and understanding with our kids, we can encourage them. And then eventually appreciate everything.

VentureCube
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by VentureCube » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi parents, we're developing a game for 7-12-year-old children to play and learn science at the same time. We realised children now spend way more time playing games than learning. We want to change that!

Help us build our game - we're looking for 7-12 YOs to test our game. It'll be done over zoom. Please sign up here if you're keen -> https://share.hsforms.com/1InLdBbtDRROyIBB6_9P2iQ36ykl

Who are we? - Ottodot is an edtech startup that is striving to make learning science fun!
- https://www.facebook.com/ottodot.singapore/
- https://www.instagram.com/ottodot_kids/

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:207

Re: Disappointed and discouraged

Post by zac's mum » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:14 pm

hokkiengirl wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:07 pm
Hello!

I was reading this book entitled 'That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganised and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life.' It is by Ana Homayoun, a counsellor based in the US who deals with teenagers with issues with school-work.

While it largely focuses on boys, I think some points may apply to girls, too. There is this bit about how there are different kinds of disorganised kids:

1) The Over-scheduled Procrastinator (too many things on his plate)
2) The Scattered Charmer (forgetful, with a laissez-faire attitude)
3) Tech Master (focuses too much on tech, so doesn't study)
4) The Seriously Struggling Student (takes a long time to process info)
5) The Creative Wonder (so lost in the world of the arts, music, etc, studies get neglected)
6) The Intellectual Conversationalists (can talk brilliantly but cannot buckle down to get work done)
7) The Sincere Slacker (genuinely believes enough effort has been made)
8) The Seemingly Satisfied Underachiever (motto: no need to try so hard; it's just SCHOOL, right?)

The book was helpful for me because it dished out practical advice on how to help teens structure their lives, so that studies and general discipline improve. It's not one of those new-fangled books that suggest parents try strange things or just let the child 'be'. The author's advice was sensible and supported by loads of anecdotes. You may want to borrow it from the library to see if it helps you? All the best! :)
Thank you very much for recommending this book!

I borrowed it and it’s been my bedtime reading for the past few nights. Very insightful and provides some absolutely practical tips.

bilalshaikh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by bilalshaikh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 pm

online education is very helpful for students to learn.home tutor in karachi is really good platform to learn

AmeliaSymond
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PennySaviour

Post by AmeliaSymond » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Relevant information and best selection of words really thanks for share it.
PennySaviour