LEARNConcierge

All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academically

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: All About Working With Children Who Are Weak Academicall

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 pm

iceywind88 wrote:not sure if baiting them with rewards will help. my kids just asked for e-scooter. currently discussing with DH to see if that's ok provided they come back with As haha.

It isn't a good method in the long run. And if also gives the kids the impression that they are valued mainly for good results. If your child has already done his best, it is very damaging psychologically. You could just wait till after the studying is done (before the results are released) and decide if they've worked hard and diligently enough, and give the reward for that.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rxmsnow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

must be very patient, sometimes want to give up, but hold on and then you will find yourself pass it already

rxmsnow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby adhd.dad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 am

Rewards help a lot. But there should be a price cap on the items!

iceywind88 wrote:not sure if baiting them with rewards will help. my kids just asked for e-scooter. currently discussing with DH to see if that's ok provided they come back with As haha.

adhd.dad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby swortionery » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:18 pm

I personally disagree with rewards being the optimal way to go. Gratification from performing well academically, and the knowledge acquired along the way, should be reward in itself. Talk it out with your child, see why he/she wants the item in question. If you do agree to buy it for him/her, it shouldn't solely be due to the grades themselves (as it creates a potentially unhealthy precedence), but because of a mutual understanding that said item can provide some long-term benefit to his/her emotional and mental development.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby realtalk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 pm

I personally don't believe there are children who are 'weak academically' but more of children who have bad study habits. I agree that limiting the use of social media and other electronic gadgets should be implemented so as to improve his study skills and time management.

realtalk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 am

realtalk wrote:I personally don't believe there are children who are 'weak academically' but more of children who have bad study habits. I agree that limiting the use of social media and other electronic gadgets should be implemented so as to improve his study skills and time management.

I have to disagree. Some people are just weak academically, meaning in the way measured by schools. There are some with lower IQs, some with different learning styles, some with imbalanced abilities. I have a daughter was has imbalanced skills - of 4 areas measured to generate an IQ score, she is average in 2, and very weak in 2. It makes her quite weak academically overall, which no amount of good study habits, coaching, not using social media, etc, can completely change. It's something we just have to accept, and we try to help her do enough to get by in her weak areas, and work on her strengths to equip her in later life. One good thing is that as they move up through school, they get to gradually drop the subjects that they are weakest in.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teenmom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm

mindbogglers27 wrote:Positive reinforcement usually works with children. Praising and commending them for a job well done is great but veer away from material rewards or else they'll get used to it. A simple "good job," "i'm proud of you" or "very good" can make wonders to your child's confidence. Hope this helps

I agree 100%. While parents and teachers point out a student's weak points, they should also acknowledge their achievements, whether in school or extra-curricular activities. I think praising them through words is better than rewarding them with material things. It's better for children to aim high in school because they want to learn and not because they need to just to get that reward.

teenmom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Melody.S » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Rewarding kids can be good, but must monitor not to spoil them too much as they might start thinking that they are doing everything for rewards only :rotflmao:

Melody.S
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pixiemae » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm

My child in primary is very weak as compared to my older on in secondary (express class, excels well and I don't have to "bother" much). Younger child's results since P1 (now P3) have always been lower than 50% passing mark. Academically, he is weak, or perhaps a consolation word to me is disinterest. However when it comes to outdoor and hands on activities (he's into cycling passionately), he's very good at it. My husband and I aren't the types who pressure our kids to study, but of course there is a certain level of acceptance, and how to see on far our children can do.

Are there any free online practices for recommendations? On the various subjects in schools? I know IXL is one but chargeable by per month. I just wana let him practice occasionally though. Would gladly appreciate on any suggestions.

pixiemae
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zac's mum » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:28 pm

pixiemae wrote:My child in primary is very weak as compared to my older on in secondary (express class, excels well and I don't have to "bother" much). Younger child's results since P1 (now P3) have always been lower than 50% passing mark. Academically, he is weak, or perhaps a consolation word to me is disinterest. However when it comes to outdoor and hands on activities (he's into cycling passionately), he's very good at it. My husband and I aren't the types who pressure our kids to study, but of course there is a certain level of acceptance, and how to see on far our children can do.

Are there any free online practices for recommendations? On the various subjects in schools? I know IXL is one but chargeable by per month. I just wana let him practice occasionally though. Would gladly appreciate on any suggestions.

Hi...is it possible that your younger child is a kinesthetic learner? http://smartification.net/how-to-identi ... s-learner/

My boy is one such learner. He learns much better in short bursts of task-oriented activities. Maths is more easily grasped by using blocks or Lego that he can touch and handle. And science, of course, is absorbed best by field trips for experiential learning. His favourite place is the Science Centre (yes, the original one not the new exhibits), do try if you haven't brought him there. Every single exhibit is tactile and built for mechanical exploration. The worst torture is for kinesthetics to sit down for long periods of time for revision. Their brain will just switch off after a while. It doesn't mean they're not smart. Just that their capabilities and brain come alive with movement and touch.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

LEARNConcierge