A difficult situation.. care to listen and advice?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

A difficult situation.. care to listen and advice?

Postby ahkeong » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm

my DS1 just started P1 this yr.. at present, morning either i drive or ride bicycle to his school den come back to prepare for work.. after school, he takes the school bus to my dad's place which is costing us $200 one way!! DS2 is attending my first skool near my dad's place too..

with our busy work schedule, at times we might be back late and at times, when we fetch the kids from my dad's place, its nearly 8.. so i am considering becoming a cabby so my time can be more flexible and still have a form of transport to fetch them from school, hence saving on the transport.. but dunno if i am making a correct decision to leave my job and going to be a cabby.. sigh

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: A difficult situation.. care to listen and advice?

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Will you be getting a substantial pay cut?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ahkeong » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm

hmmm pay cut wise.. wont have much of a difference but of cos i am losing out on the AL, CCL, MCs, AWS, VB etc..

which can come up to be quite abit actually.. i do want to spend more time with him after school so can check on him, which is why had this thinking..

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

ahkeong wrote:hmmm pay cut wise.. wont have much of a difference but of cos i am losing out on the AL, CCL, MCs, AWS, VB etc..

which can come up to be quite abit actually.. i do want to spend more time with him after school so can check on him, which is why had this thinking..

I think being a cabby also not easy. Income fluctuates too much.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:35 pm

ahkeong wrote:after school, he takes the school bus to my dad's place which is costing us $200 one way!! DS2 is attending my first skool near my dad's place too..

$200 is very expensive.

I know of P1 pupils going back home on their own by public transport. Alternatively, check out if some parents can send your child to your father's place.

Or find a student care centre near the school that provides pick-up.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ahkeong » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Jennifer wrote:$200 is very expensive.

I know of P1 pupils going back home on their own by public transport. Alternatively, check out if some parents can send your child to your father's place.

Or find a student care centre near the school that provides pick-up.

initially, they dun even wanna send me son.. told me its out of the way! blah blah blah.. end up they say ok but cost us $200 which is ridiculous to me.. there are some parents who can do that for a token sum? not much of parents' interaction yet leh..

DW is thinking of going for a student care centre around our place but that is going to cost us more as well..

TheAnswer wrote:
I think being a cabby also not easy. Income fluctuates too much.

ya lo.. thats wat i am worried of, spoke to some cabbies and even some personal friends who are cabbies.. all spoke with hard work, can make it one la..

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby coralie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 pm

My uncle just started driving a taxi. 6am to 6pm shift, except for Sunday. Earning enough to support my aunt and cousin.

coralie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KSP » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

ahkeong wrote:my DS1 just started P1 this yr.. at present, morning either i drive or ride bicycle to his school den come back to prepare for work.. after school, he takes the school bus to my dad's place which is costing us $200 one way!! DS2 is attending my first skool near my dad's place too..

if u can ride a bike to the sch i would presume the distance should not be that far and it is ridiculous for the bus operator to charge $200 just for 1 way....... :yikes:

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

ahkeong wrote:hmmm pay cut wise.. wont have much of a difference but of cos i am losing out on the AL, CCL, MCs, AWS, VB etc..

It really boils down to priority. If your dad can look after the kids, maybe you don't need to worry too much as I am sure they will be well looked after.

But if you think it is better to spend more time with your kids and develop bonding, then you may think it is wothwhile quitting your present job and suffer the pay cut.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ahkeong » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

KSP wrote:if u can ride a bike to the sch i would presume the distance should not be that far and it is ridiculous for the bus operator to charge $200 just for 1 way....... :yikes:

ya.. its actually just around 1km away

they charge us $200 cos my dad's place is not around here.. to put more clearly, the furthest they go is kallang bahru and my dad stays in lavender, so they say to compensate for making that extra distance, the fee is $200

coralie wrote:My uncle just started driving a taxi. 6am to 6pm shift, except for Sunday. Earning enough to support my aunt and cousin.

i believe can make money, if not all those uncles jialat liao

just wondering at my age, am i too rush.. though the flexible timing and no loss of transport for my family is important..

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child