By Bus or by car?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

By Bus or by car?

Postby Happy Parents » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi,

My daughter started her Secondary 1 this year. Getting to and fro school, she takes the public bus. The bus ride takes about 20 minutes but the waiting time is unpredictable.

Our dilemma is this. We have been offered by our in-laws to ferry her (by car) to and fro school, on the reason that it will save time and that she will not be too tired.

However, my wife and I would like her to learn independence (she started taking public bus since Primary 6) and to learn to take care of herself in public places. This will also build up her power of observation, ability to take initiatives and make good decisions. We often advise on her on what to take note and how to react in various situations when she is out.

Please share your views on whether it is better to ferry her to and fro or to let her take the public bus.

Cheers!

Happy Parents
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: By Bus or by car?

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 pm

I vote for public bus. Or what about a compromise - let them send her in the mornings and let her come home by herself? When we were back in Singapore for my daughter's PSLE, we sent her to school in the morning, and my parents also offered to ferry her back rather than have her take the bus. The trip was about 30+ mins including one change of bus. My husband and I refused as we also liked her to be more independent and less 'soft'. My daughter also agreed with us and supported us when the grandparents nagged. We plan for her to use public transport to and from school when we return later this year (she will be in sec 2).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:06 pm

DD is also in Sec 1 this year. We send her to school but she comes back by public transport on normal school days. She goes back to her alma matar once a week as part of her CIP and will take the school bus home.

Perhaps your in-laws can ferry her back from school when CCA starts as they can finish quite late - mine ends at 6.30pm 2 times a week. Due to peak hour congestion, inability to get up bus, delays in bus turning up, it can take her more than an hour to reach home. It normally takes 40 minutes off peak.

Your in-laws' consideration is valid on CCA days and your girl still gets to take the public transport on normal school days which do not normally end so late.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I vote for public bus. Or what about a compromise - let them send her in the mornings and let her come home by herself? When we were back in Singapore for my daughter's PSLE, we sent her to school in the morning, and my parents also offered to ferry her back rather than have her take the bus. The trip was about 30+ mins including one change of bus. My husband and I refused as we also liked her to be more independent and less 'soft'. My daughter also agreed with us and supported us when the grandparents nagged. We plan for her to use public transport to and from school when we return later this year (she will be in sec 2).

I am thinking along the line of slmkhoo also.

Since waiting time for buses is unpredictable, getting to school on time can be quite stressful in the morning. Yeah, maybe you would like to consider having your in-laws sending her to school in the morning and let her go back home by herself. At least, when the bus comes late, she would not be so "kan cheong" when she goes home from school in the afternoon.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

kwcllf wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:I vote for public bus. Or what about a compromise - let them send her in the mornings and let her come home by herself? When we were back in Singapore for my daughter's PSLE, we sent her to school in the morning, and my parents also offered to ferry her back rather than have her take the bus. The trip was about 30+ mins including one change of bus. My husband and I refused as we also liked her to be more independent and less 'soft'. My daughter also agreed with us and supported us when the grandparents nagged. We plan for her to use public transport to and from school when we return later this year (she will be in sec 2).

I am thinking along the line of slmkhoo also.

Since waiting time for buses is unpredictable, getting to school on time can be quite stressful in the morning. Yeah, maybe you would like to consider having your parents sending her to school in the morning and let her go back home by herself. At least, when the bus comes late, she would not be so "kan cheong" when she goes home from school in the afternoon.

Actually, I found that timings of buses early in the mornings (around 6.15am) was very regular as there were no jams etc to mess things up. There was a week or so when my daughter had to take public bus to school and we found that the bus arrived at the same time every day, give or take about 2 mins. But sending her meant an extra 15 mins in bed! Coming home was more variable, but it's possible to read while waiting for a bus if you can be sure that others will flag the bus, or you can remember to glance up to watch for buses every few seconds.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby weatherbee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I actually vote by car. If got people to help send and fetch my children, it is best.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Happy Parents » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for all your opinions. I guess there are definite advantages to both ways. It really depends on what you want your children to achieve, independence or convenience.

The good thing about our daughter's school is that it's only 20 mins away by bus. Going to school is easy as traffic is very smooth. Coming back by bus is feasible as well because of her unpredictable timing (e.g. last minute project meetings, supplementary classes etc.).

Happy Parents
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kwcllf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Sometimes, grandparents want to "sayang sayang" the little ones. If they are so willing to send your DD to school and if your DD is allowed to come home from school on her own, you have the best of both worlds.

You make your parents happy while at the same time, you are affording your DD some independence. :imcool:

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm

From Sec 1 onwards, my dad would ferry me in the mornings as it was very rushed. Then I would take the bus / MRT home. That worked very well till I learnt to drive.

Sometimes if I came home later, he would pick me up from the MRT station. That's a nice compromise.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi,
i agree with cherrygal, perhaps in the morning its pretty rush and your girl need not wait up that early to take public transport and after her school ends, she could take public transport .

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child