Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Parenting Teenagers

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: All About Parenting Teenagers

Postby FishFingers » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Just curious...My DD2 is very sticky to me.

She is 11 and in the preteen stage now.Will this stickiness wear off as the years go by?

FishFingers
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:25 am

FishFingers wrote:Just curious...My DD2 is very sticky to me.

She is 11 and in the preteen stage now.Will this stickiness wear off as the years go by?

It should. If it doesn't, it isn't healthy. But she is probably feeling insecure with too many changes happening in her life. When she has settled into her new school, made new friends, developed more outside interests and activities, and life is more stable, she should outgrow the stickiness. Some kids take longer to adjust than others, as you can see from your 2 girls.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum422 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 pm

girls will always want to stick to their mummy ;) but mine stopped when she was mugging for PSLE. somehow, that maturity just kicks in with the goal of getting into a better sec school. so don't worry, one day your daughter will grow out of it.

mum422
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby teenmom » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Thank you for all these information. As a young mom, these will definitely come in handy in the future.

teenmom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ThinkEnglish » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 am

Hi there, this can be something good if your daughter feels comfortable to relate to and share her joys and worries with you. Ultimately, family support is still what kids need when they deal with so many changes in their lives.

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasumom1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:26 pm

well I think some teenagers are making a big deal of everything. I did an experiment once and gave 'less attention' to the normal things I usually worry about. I noticed she exhibited surprising levels of independence. Of course I'll blow hot and cold while experimenting. But let's see how it all works.

kiasumom1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Busybugz73 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 am

Just sharing my conversations with some of my younger colleagues. Most of them have their first BF or GF by the age of 14. I think that is really young. What are your views? Will you allow your teens to date?

Busybugz73
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

The question is, can you stop them in the first place?
I don't think it applies only to generations younger than us (eg your younger colleagues). Dh's dated in his teens too. My bro had a record of almost-use-10fingers-to-count gf (1 at a time) during his teen to ns. :faint:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 am

jedamum wrote:The question is, can you stop them in the first place?
I don't think it applies only to generations younger than us (eg your younger colleagues). Dh's dated in his teens too. My bro had a record of almost-use-10fingers-to-count gf (1 at a time) during his teen to ns. :faint:

What I have tried to do (successfully so far - daughters are 18 and 20, no boyfriends) is to help them set their sights high in terms of what to look for in a boyfriend. We started talking to them when they were preteens, just a little now and again. They have friends in church and school who are boys, but no "boyfriend". They go out in groups, not on "dates". My younger girl told me she was stunned recently when one of her schoolfriends, visiting our church, commented that some of the boys were really considerate (based on something she saw them do), and asked my daughter why the girls hadn't grabbed them as boyfriends. My daughter says that her group of church friends don't consider themselves old enough to be thinking of steady relationships yet, and they enjoy just hanging out as a group without the boyfriend-girlfriend labels getting in the way. I'm happy that they think like that, though I am prepared that "boyfriends" will appear within the next couple of years.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Busybugz73 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks for sharing, Jedamum and Slmkhoo. Good to hear from parents who's been there and done that! ;)

Busybugz73
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres