Outsmart by your own Kiddo?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Outsmart by your own Kiddo?

Postby winth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Have you ever been out-witted by your own child/ren before?
Let's share experiences, and also would like to know if children of this generation is so much smarter nowadays.

Here's mine:
DS1 (just turned 6) was first introduced English Chess yesterday, when Daddy decided to spend some guy-to-guy time with him. As usual, I was the onlooker.

DH told DS1 that he ought to know how each role should move so as to 'eat' the opponents up.
The instructions were rather verbal, like 'soldiers take 2 or 1 step only on their first move, and they eat only diagonally', 'Towers they can only move and 'eat' in up/down/left/right, never diagonally', 'Knights blah blah...', Last came the King and Queen and each had their respective move patterns. DH told him only once for all the characters on the chess and stopped after he introduced the king and queen.

Soon, it was time to take their positions.
DH was first, he moved his soldiers, DS1 next, so on.
By the 6th move, DH has 2 soldiers directly facing DS1's 2 soldiers.
Being the more verbal parent here, I butted in (as I wanted to teach him how to 'eat' his opponent's soldier).

I said, "Remember, daddy said soldiers only eat what's diagonal?", "See, the soldier there, you can eat it now."
DS1 looked and refused to move.
I repeated again, "See, now the soldier is there, you can eat it if you want." I was getting quite jumpy and was wondered if he needed the instructions again.
DS1 said, "No, I can't eat it"
DH and I exchanged glances and I asked "Why".
DS1 continued, "Because if I eat up his soldier, my soldier will be in this place and his tower will eat me up."

At this point, DH was like laughing away and I felt that I was the 'not-too-smart' one here. :roll:

After yesterday, I was like asking DH, how old will they be before we kanna out-smart by them?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaydenbrown » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:03 am

Your DS is could turn out to be quite gifted.
He is meant for great things, hmmm ....maybe a grandmaster? ...haha...

With proper grooming and guidance, he can fulfil his potential.

I just love helping students reach their true potential, as I have been doing for years. :D

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 am

wow ! winth, your DS1 is smart !!

tankee
Site Admin

Postby winth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:20 am

:oops: thanks fo the compliments :oops:

I thought it was very normal for kids these day to outwit their parents.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:24 pm

thanks fo the compliments

I thought it was very normal for kids these day to outwit their parents.

I think it is normal for kids these days to outwit their parents. Just compare how we were back then at the same age. I do agree Winth, you do have a smart boy there. Even your ds 2 is very smart too when you get busted for misinforming him on the police car. :lol:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Share this funny incident which occured a while back on my daughter.

DD then age 1.5 years old went for a cruise on a Superstar Virgo. We’ve gotten a balcony room which was at a higher level. Immediately upon boarding the ship, we went for a walk on the ship and pass by the swimming pool. Being 5 months pregnant with ds, I wanted to take a snooze after the walk. Woke up at about 3pm wanting to have tea time. I was feeling hungry and told dh that I will be bringing dd to have tea time first & we will meet at the buffet place. As soon as I walk out of the room, dd pointed to the right and said “tat a way”. I replied, no, this way. She again pointed to the right “tat a way. Wim pol”. I walked a few steps away to the left telling her I’m walking the other way, hoping she will be afraid and will come after me. But she took the opportunity to insist her way and ran towards the other end heading to the stair case leading to the pool. Instead of making her afraid, ended up preggie me has to chase after her. :lol:

Don't ask me how dd knows her directions to the swimming pool so well. From the corridor, we can't see the swimming pool, just long rows of room doors.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Outsmart by your own Kiddo?

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:09 pm

winth wrote:DS1 (just turned 6) was first introduced English Chess yesterday,

You might want to introduce Chinese Chess and WeiQi too.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:26 am

Jennifer wrote:You might want to introduce Chinese Chess and WeiQi too.

Thanks for the suggestion.
We have played Weiqi with him but he is not too keen to learn. He likes reversi and checkers though.

DH said maybe try animal chess, more kiddish and funnier.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am

EN wrote:Don't ask me how dd knows her directions to the swimming pool so well. From the corridor, we can't see the swimming pool, just long rows of room doors.

Children always seem to know where and how to get to what they want :lol:.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child