Support for left-handed kids?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Support for left-handed kids?

Postby gremlin_loh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Dear fellow KSparents,

Does anyone know of any programme/s out there that cater specially to left-handed kids? Wife and i are right-handers and are teaching our left-hander just fine but I just wonder if there are such classes out there. Teacher who is left handed teaching an entire class of left-handers to write, won't make my boy feel that he is the odd one out...

gremlin_loh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Support for left-handed kids?

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I have not heard of such a class. I have a leftie too, and really, there isn't a need for a special class, I feel. My daughter did feel odd at first as we live in a country where it's still the norm for lefties to be forced to use their right hands. We just told the teacher to allow my daughter to choose, and we told her she's 'special', not 'odd'. She has a grandmother and aunts and cousins who are all lefties too, so that helped.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

gremlin_loh wrote:Dear fellow KSparents,

Does anyone know of any programme/s out there that cater specially to left-handed kids? Wife and i are right-handers and are teaching our left-hander just fine but I just wonder if there are such classes out there. Teacher who is left handed teaching an entire class of left-handers to write, won't make my boy feel that he is the odd one out...

I dun know of such classes. But I thought perhaps instead of letting the child see it as being odd one out, change his mindset to view it as being special and nothing wrong at all being a left-hander.

My family, the grandparents, close uncles/aunties/cousins etc are mostly right-handers. My son is the only left-hander. Since young, we would tell him it's no big deal.....it's just a in-born preference and in fact, there is a 'master' in many parts of our body....eyes, hands, leg etc. And studies have shown that left-handers are generally known to be good in art/maths (no need to detailed :wink: ) etc.
But I did let him know that left-hander also known to have terrible handwriting and probably may face some difficulties cos' different from others (eg. chopsticks 'fight', scissors etc). But these are really small things, nothing to fret about :)

My son is 13yo now, he has no issues so far. In fact, he does different stuff with different hands and when he wants to, his handwriting is pretty nice for a left-hander (much neater than many boys) and he would gleam when praised & put in effort to write neatly :)
But of course at 13yo....not so easy to 'con' now :rotflmao:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gremlin_loh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks for all the advice, learning so much from all of you!

Actually the main reason of me wanting to find such programmes (now I know there aren't) is not really because I'm worried that my son feels like the odd one out. My boys are reinforced continuously that they are special. Not just the left-hander, our right-hander as well.

Its just that I find schools (PCF, enrichment.... all actually) are not exactly well equiped to handle left-handers. Teaching left-handers to write is not as simple as teaching the opposite of what you would with right-handers, everything else is has to be "altered" somewhat to accomodate the difference i.e writing from left to right without smudging, posture, tilting of paper, reading, adjusting to right-handed bias desks...etc.

Have a link that I like to share with fellow parents with lefties that has helped me in teaching my lil one. Hope it helps you guys too. Oh and its free!

http://www.handedness.org/action/leftwr ... paperangle

gremlin_loh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gremlin_loh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Another link that I use to download free worksheets for my left-handed boy. The letter examples are on the right so that their left hand does not block it. They can write and refer to the examples with ease.

http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handw ... /index.htm

gremlin_loh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby naveena72 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm

i think there's no need to feel weird or odd about being a leftie. in my family, my daughter and I happen to be lefties while my husband and son are right handed. my daughter did mention about being asked why isn't she writing with her right hand but as time past, she told me that her classmates told her how cool it was to be a leftie.

No worries about it, you should encourage your child to be who she is! :wink:

naveena72
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby cherrygal » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Haven't heard of such a class. DS is a leftie and he thinks he has an upper edge when playing badminton coz Lin Dan (world champ) is also a leftie... PM Lee is leftie, Elmo is a leftie... hahaha you name it.

I just bought leftie scissors and pencils as they help him grip better. And I am not particular about the way he writes his alphabets and Chinese characters. As long as they look right, it's fine. He's doing well in school so I don't think a leftie class is gonna make any difference, unless you are talking about brain development classes coz lefties are right-brained.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Actually I am a leftie, but my mum refused to allow me to use left hand when I learnt to write...now I use right hand to write but left hand to brush teeth...subconsciously, I will use my left hand more.
Son is a leftie. When he learnt to write, he could not see what he wrote. Hubby said he should play tennis bcos of some back hand advantage. Is it true?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm

I know that lefties often have poor handwriting, but my daughter must be an exception. She writes very nicely, both English and Chinese. I didn't do anything special to teach her, but just showed her how the strokes should go and she just managed it herself. When she was in P1, she was always held up as an example of someone with good handwriting. Her writing is much better than the other 3 (right-handed) members of the family.

She's also quite ambidextrous, so she prefers to use scissors with her right hand, and I often see her use her right hand for various things too. We have so far not got her any special leftie items as we reckon that it's better that she get used to using the common stuff or she will always have to bring her special things around with her.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Linlin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm

My 3years old son is also left handed.. I'm right handed myself so I have difficulties to teach him mandarin. English is easier for me but Bi Hua (chinese) is much more headache.. Trying to look for some programme too..

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child