How much Assessment/Tuition Work?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How much Assessment/Tuition Work?

Postby cowgraz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Dear Parents - I'm wondering what's appropriate amount of practices a kid of average academic ability has to do in order to survive P4 and above.

I'm asking as my DD is in P4 this year and with her schedule of CCA, Supplementary classes + school homework, she's almost flat out by the end of the sch day. And I've been letting her rest in the evenings ... but given all the hype over tuition and all, I'm also concerned of being too relaxed and in the end she'd hv to suffer. So, am struggling with the balance!

Would appreciate if parents can share any successes/smooth-way to balance school work, sanity and maintaining grades with your child pls? Thanks so much!

Lyn

cowgraz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How much Assessment/Tuition Work?

Postby sundaymorning » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 am

Hi cowgraz,

I feel that it depends if your child can cope with her studies, perhaps you could have a close follow up of her school work and ensure she keep up with it. If she doesnt, den you might need a tuition teacher on a weekend so it will be more efficient.
I agree with you having a balanced lifestyle is impt so make sure her schedule is not too hectic.
Hope it helps .

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cowgraz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 am

thanks for your suggestion Sundaymorning!
Learning fr last year was that despite trying hard to juggle a full time job and ensuring her Homework is completed ... I still struggled with exam-time stress where you start to realise that her grasp of concepts/understanding is not as good as it should ... and that's where the plethora of anxiety, guilt, stress. helplessness all rolls in and hit you. But, I'm resisting hving her undergo external tuition, assessment books and soon you'd realise that you've grown a skeptical, cold kid.

That's where my struggle is right now ... finding the balance and hence I thought to get some views and sounding board fr other parents who've been there done that on this issue.

cowgraz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am

I think you should start by deciding (maybe also discussing with your child) what sort of results she should be able to achieve. If you think she is capable of more than she is managing now, then plan to achieve more. But if you think she is already performing close to maximum capacity, it may not be either kind or effective to pile on more, although making what she is doing more effective is a possible target. Sometimes, just doing more is not the most effective way of learning better.

If her grasp of concepts is not good, it's probably better to check on that on a regular basis and not wait till it shows up near the exams. Based on what you find, then prescribe extra work to either challenge her (if she has grasped the concepts well) or give her more practice. If she has already grasped the material and can cope well, then give her more free time to read and develop other interests. Even if she hasn't, some leisure time is necessary, and you may have to adjust your expectations.

I have 2 daughters, now in sec school, who are very different in achievement. For the weaker one, we set moderate targets and did more drilling, and were happy when she met the targets. We felt there was no point piling on the work as she would get stressed and grumpy and perform even worse. The other girl has always found school work easy, so once she has satisfied us that she understands and can do whatever is required for her age, we let her do other stuff.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Postby cowgraz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 am

This is good advice - food for thought for me! Thanks for sharing slmkhoo!

cowgraz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mel2sg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Just my 2 cents of adv - maybe you should drill (over a period of time) more into your girl's homework to find out why she takes so much time to complete.

When my girl was P4 she also struggled with tons of homework. Other than the quantity of homeworks given (quantitative which is unavoidable), we noted the following qualitative issues which we highlighted to her:
- her hand-writing speed is big, hence tend to be slower
- as she is a perfectionist, she tends to re-copy passages or compo, to make it looks neater before submission. Not necessary, as in the real exam the examiner does not gives mark for nice writing.
- she used to use thick head ball-roll pen for writing, which has more friction as opposed to a thinner head ball-roll pen (where friction is lesser one can write faster)
- She used to only start doing her homework when she is back home. Bad idea, as we noted that those good students will start doing their homework at school whenever they have free time - like lesson where teacher never turn up or some even during recess time, so that they will free up at home for revision. This is called time management training.

Btw welcome to the culture of upper primary - where the school & teacher are the slave-driver. Therefore, you have to help your girl to speed up her homeworks as when she reaches P6, that is when the tsunami homeworks will come.....that is what my girl is experiencing now :siao:

I

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Skyed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Have tuition on weekends instead?

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cowgraz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks Mel! Wah, poor kids. Doing homework whenever they can catch time at sch even.

cowgraz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm

cowgraz wrote:Thanks Mel! Wah, poor kids. Doing homework whenever they can catch time at sch even.

Isn't this quite normal? I used to when I was in school. And I used to do some on the bus too (not writing).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Skyed wrote:Have tuition on weekends instead?

That's a good idea...bcos weekdays can be kept strictly for school homework and CCA. Try to schedule tuition on weekends and get all the homework done before the weekend is over. That's what I am doing with my daughter. Next year when she goes to P4, I dread to think of CCA and having to complete more homework.

I am training my daughter to write faster too...she writes too slow and also using correction tape too often.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child