Gifted social group

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Gifted social group

Postby Fusionmom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 am

Anyone interested in gifted social groups for boys??

I have two exceptionally gifted boys 7 & 10.

Perhaps we can arrange outings?

Fusionmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Gifted social group

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 am

Exceptionally gifted?
Donch think u will find many takers of this offer coz most kiasuparents are careful not to make their own kids feel interior! :laugh:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nansk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 am

Hi fusionmom,

That is a good idea you have, although I am not sure working parents may be able to find the time to accompany their sons to the outings.

Perhaps answers to these questions may help parents decide whether it is suitable for their families:
What day/time do you have in mind for the outings? (Are you sons in school and/or will you accomodate schooled kids?)
Where do you intend to go and what do you plan to do there? Are you looking to plan the outings around some theme? Will there be any guided learning taking place?
What sorts of interests do your sons have?
(Also, as the mother of a girl, why are you inviting only parents of boys? :))

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sweetbaby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am

Hi

Why not expand the invite to other boys and girls who are around your boys ages instead of limiting it by gifted criteria? Example, like extending an invite to other kids in your boy's school who is not in the gifted programme. There's plenty of smart and sociable kids that will be great friends for your boys. I feel you'll get more responses if you open invite to kids who share similar interests than labelled by their IQ. No man is an island.

sweetbaby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sweetbaby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am

Double post

sweetbaby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am

Need to go for selection tests? :evil:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 am

There are benefits to interest base or more controversially, iq based gifted social groups. The whole point is "you get what I mean". I presume Fusionmom's kids already mix around, and she is hoping to help them find a "best friend" or a "bosom buddy". This is more difficult for EG kids than for mildly and moderately gifted kids. No man is an island, but the EG child can feel very lonely in a crowd especially during childhood. Good thing they have each other at least! :)

Fusionmom, another thing you can consider is to join interest based open groups (take all ages), or encourage your children in team sports (as common ground with age peers) or ensemble music (again, a joint effort and cuts across age barriers).You can look at the journeys and thoughts of some former child prodigies who grew up well adjusted - eg Terence Tao and yoyoma. I was watching Yoyoma's performance over youtube just this morning and i was so impressed by how giving and supportive he was during performances with other lesser knowns.

If you haven't done so, it is also good to read Miranda Gross's research on PG kids and friendship.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasubox » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:16 am

Not to offend anyone but here is just my thought.
I don't think i'm gifted but I scored straight As in my secondary school and was award Top student in my tertiary education. My brother was a scholar and double MBA holder.
When I was small, my brother seldom talked to us and the most frequently word I heard from him was "idiot" as he's far more smarter than us that he could jump into the answer of a conversation faster than us, so talking to us was a waste of his time.
When I was in my tertiary school, I also feel the same problem as talking to my classmates seem to be in a waste of time, they are slower to get what I want to deliver to them.
When I started working, there was another scholar in my firm and she seemed to be facing the same problem, she left the office on time (5.30pm) every time she finished her work but this had been annoying the rest as the rest think she should help up the work, they said she had no team work and as a result, she was the only one not promoted among the 10+ new staff.
From that incident and my own observation of other 'similar' intelligent people around me, I realised that the problem is not because others do not understand you (as a smarter or more gifted person), but you (a gifted person) could not understand the others.
As a slightly smarter person myself (I still do not consider myself gifted), I learn that communication to others are very important, you need to find the skill and the ability to convince others instead of making others to accept your idea. The most difficult problems I face in work are normally associated with human issues rather than technical problem.
If you have a gifted child, you should help him to socialize with the rest of the children who might not be equally smart as your child, as they will be the ones that your child will be working with, living with and socialize with when your child grown up.
There are many gifted child having personality problem because they could not socialize with the rest when they grown up.
Of course, everyone will be happy to have gifted children, but no matter how gifted you are, you need other not-so-gifted people to build up your success.

kiasubox
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

1 people like this post

Postby nansk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 pm

kiasubox wrote:Not to offend anyone but here is just my thought.
...communication to others are very important, you need to find the skill and the ability to convince others instead of making others to accept your idea. The most difficult problems I face in work are normally associated with human issues rather than technical problem.
If you have a gifted child, you should help him to socialize with the rest of the children who might not be equally smart as your child, as they will be the ones that your child will be working with, living with and socialize with when your child grown up....

You make such good points in your post! It may not be 100% relevant to Fusionmom's request, but I agree wholeheartedly with your points. I read a similar blog post this week, which says, in effect, that gifted/highly-able children need to learn three key skills more than any other, and the three key skills will enable them to learn any other skill or knowledge they want to acquire.
• Communication - which requires respect and empathy for others.
• Motivation - which needs to be primarily internal.
• Access to resources and ability to find and filter them. (I read this as the skill called "learn how to learn anything".)

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 pm

kiasubox wrote:Not to offend anyone but here is just my thought.
I don't think i'm gifted but I scored straight As in my secondary school and was award Top student in my tertiary education. My brother was a scholar and double MBA holder.
When I was small, my brother seldom talked to us and the most frequently word I heard from him was "idiot" as he's far more smarter than us that he could jump into the answer of a conversation faster than us, so talking to us was a waste of his time.
When I was in my tertiary school, I also feel the same problem as talking to my classmates seem to be in a waste of time, they are slower to get what I want to deliver to them.
When I started working, there was another scholar in my firm and she seemed to be facing the same problem, she left the office on time (5.30pm) every time she finished her work but this had been annoying the rest as the rest think she should help up the work, they said she had no team work and as a result, she was the only one not promoted among the 10+ new staff.
From that incident and my own observation of other 'similar' intelligent people around me, I realised that the problem is not because others do not understand you (as a smarter or more gifted person), but you (a gifted person) could not understand the others.
As a slightly smarter person myself (I still do not consider myself gifted), I learn that communication to others are very important, you need to find the skill and the ability to convince others instead of making others to accept your idea. The most difficult problems I face in work are normally associated with human issues rather than technical problem.
If you have a gifted child, you should help him to socialize with the rest of the children who might not be equally smart as your child, as they will be the ones that your child will be working with, living with and socialize with when your child grown up.
There are many gifted child having personality problem because they could not socialize with the rest when they grown up.
Of course, everyone will be happy to have gifted children, but no matter how gifted you are, you need other not-so-gifted people to build up your success.

:goodpost:

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child