Taking away prefect position

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Taking away prefect position

Postby momresource » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Hello mummies,
I am stressed out and would like to ask for advice. My kid was borned in year 2005 and proud that he was selected in P1 last year to be prefect this year. He was very happy and looking forward to P2 this year. However, I just got a call from his form teacher that he was always dreaming in class, not able to follow simple instruction. Thus, he might not be appointed as a prefect. However back home, he is able to know what homework to do (in fact have to tell his other classmate's parent) and tell me the happenings in class/school.

How do I break this news to him? Pls advice.

momresource
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Taking away prefect position

Postby mummy so kiasu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Maybe you want to meet & discuss with his teacher. He must have done well & behave well last year to be selected as a prefect. The teacher might want to observe him for this term before making decision. At the same time, you could him advise on the expectation of being a prefect, which is a role model to others. If the teacher still insist not giving him the prefect position, he can still work hard & become one next year. After all, he is only P2.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 pm

talk to your boy on his dreaminess and lack of focus.
that should be your primarily concern. his improvement may or may not be in time for the teacher's recommendation, but that could be secondary if your focus is on your boy rather than the prefect status (though i agree that prefect position do open up more opportunities than regular peers).

if he does not get selected and come home crying, tell him that there is only so many slots to be filled up and there could be a secondary recommendation this year which he may not make the cut (if he recognised from earlier discussion that he lacked focus in class) or that his peers shows more potential than him. regardless of results, he should focus on how to better himself for his own good/focus on his strengths and overcome his weaknesses and that mummy will help him to help himself to do/be his best. kids bounced back pretty fast...sometimes, it is the parent that may not cope so easily with the potential position lost.

hug him lots. :snuggles:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby keroppi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Can suka suka take away prefect position one meh? This teacher is a little insensitive towards the child's feelings.

I think you should speak with the teacher and your child to find out why he is inattentive this year and work with him. School term just started, so should give him more time to adjust.

Actually I am surprised they appoint prefects at P1/P2. Probably too young understand the responsibility that comes with it.

My son is a prefect too and he is still growing into his role (means still not the role model type yet). But every year, he gets re-appointed (with the rest) during the prefect installation. It's like a given for all prefects (once they're appointed), unless some super serious transgression is committed.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby momresource » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank you all... I have spoken to the form teacher again and my boy today. The form teacher said she will talk to other subject teachers and also asked me to ask him to see if he can cope. For my son part, I just hint to him about taking away the role of prefect and he was like "tears flowing down non-stop"... anyway, I told him to be more attentive in class, that teachers expect more from class/school leader. He was actually the class monitor last year and also got best student award end of the year. Academic wise, all band 1 and other very active in swimming and other sports. I am also helpless except that I told him to sleep early, not read too much storybook before sleep so he can be energetic in class the next day. On the other hand, I have also discussed with hubby that we might cut down on his other physical activities... although he was coping well in P1 last year, but perhaps P2 workload and teachers expectation are different now. I am sad not bcos of the role being taken away but how to console his young heart...

momresource
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kaka » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Hello momresouce,
Did the teacher talk to your boy directly about her concern? What was your boy's reaction to the teacher's comment?
Dont worry too much, it is a good learning process for him as well. :hugs:

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child