don't know what to do!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

don't know what to do!

Postby mydaughte's mum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:08 pm

hello parents!!!! im a newbie here and this is my first post, so forgive me if anything's wrong... :) and i'm also sorry if i posted in the wrong forum
i'm posting this as i am concerned about my daughter. she's in sec 3 this year and her results have been quite good since primary one. But last year she started failing some subjects such as mathematics and science. i'm worried as she does not seem to be able to cope with school very well... she keeps procrastinating and does not seem to have a sense of urgency! Also, she is very careless and forgetful and often loses valuable objects such as her phone and keys. Another problem is that she keeps fidgeting and shaking her legs when seated down, and when i try to stop her, she'll say that she can't help it. Can anyone suggest reasons for these problems? Thanks, you help will be much appreciated!! :thankyou:

mydaughte's mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: don't know what to do!

Postby ScaredyMum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi, I am no expert, jus sharing my personal experience.

My results in Pri was OK, did quite well in PSLE too (can't rmb the marks).
Went into an Autonomous Sec Sch and started failing my Math & Sci since Sec 1.
Still failing Math in Sec 3, in Sec 4, realised was cos I didn't have enough practice. No practice = no understanding of question. Started practicing math real hard. Along the way, questions I didn't understand, I would ask friends or teacher.

Didn't do Physics and Chem in upper Sec, only did Biology, that was ok.
Managed to get B3 in O Levels Math.

As for carelessness/forgetfulness, no experience on that.
Fidgeting, is she stressed, restless or anxious about something? Maybe can go for Yoga classes to relax and also train concentration/focus, awareness and more control of mind and body?

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Could she be stressed? Procrastination, fidgeting, forgetfulness etc can be signs of stress. Perhaps you could find out what she finds difficult in her schoolwork and help her address those problems. Maybe ask her to get her teacher to give her some extra time after school to clarify problems, or maybe get a tutor. If she gets control over her work, some of those other issues may resolve themselves.

Or maybe she might be stressed about something else - friendships, CCA etc?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:46 am

I think probably she is really stressed up that she is unable to deliver the expectations from teachers and parents . I think perhaps can get tuition for her to help her with her weaker subjects and talk to her and try to understand what is she going through. In fact you can do some activities that she likes together to help her to deal with her stress :)

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child