Motivational needs for a Single Dad....

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Motivational needs for a Single Dad....

Postby superdad wannabe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Am a single dad for my 4 yr old boy. Got a 3 yr old girl who is with my ex-wife. Am also striving very hard to perform both roles of being a father and a mother. Luckily my parents are the main care-givers.

Need the extra 'punch' and motivational needs to carry out my duties. I am always at a loss to perform both roles. Lack of enthusiasm and energy. Sigh... At times, will feel sad that my boy and girl comes from a broken family.

I know that I need to provide the best for my boy who is currently in nursery and going for K1 next year. He can't speak fluently yet and I had arranged and attended with him many sessions of speech-therapy trainings in KKH. Curently, I had engaged a tutor (home-based) to teach him writings and activity exercises like puzzles, blocks, etc...

Wondering if any kind people out here would recommend a home-based speech tutor (not too experienced, money no enough) like say $20 an hour type?

superdad wannabe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Motivational needs for a Single Dad....

Postby kitty2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:24 pm

superdad wannabe wrote:Am a single dad for my 4 yr old boy. Got a 3 yr old girl who is with my ex-wife. Am also striving very hard to perform both roles of being a father and a mother. Luckily my parents are the main care-givers.

Need the extra 'punch' and motivational needs to carry out my duties. I am always at a loss to perform both roles. Lack of enthusiasm and energy. Sigh... At times, will feel sad that my boy and girl comes from a broken family.

I know that I need to provide the best for my boy who is currently in nursery and going for K1 next year. He can't speak fluently yet and I had arranged and attended with him many sessions of speech-therapy trainings in KKH. Curently, I had engaged a tutor (home-based) to teach him writings and activity exercises like puzzles, blocks, etc...

Wondering if any kind people out here would recommend a home-based speech tutor (not too experienced, money no enough) like say $20 an hour type?

Sorry hear about your problem.May i know where do you stay?Perhaps i've someone to help you.

All the best

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby superdad wannabe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi kitty2 - Pm you already...

superdad wannabe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Gambatte ! superdad !

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Motivational needs for a Single Dad....

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:30 pm

superdad wannabe wrote:Am a single dad for my 4 yr old boy. Got a 3 yr old girl who is with my ex-wife. Am also striving very hard to perform both roles of being a father and a mother. Luckily my parents are the main care-givers. ...

Welcome, superdad wannabe! I think it is important that your son does not feel that he is different or inferior to his peers because of your situation, which might have deep impact on his confidence in his growing years. He is too early to understand the situation, so you should allow him to bond with his mother as much as possible. You will also have to put in a great deal of effort to spend time with him and make sure he is never alone with non-relatives for too long.

The good thing is that your parents can help you to look after him. That is a luxury that not many people have, so it is good to count your blessings now and then.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby superdad wannabe » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:09 am

I was divorced since mid 2008. My ex-wife insisted on taking the daughter although I told her to leave both children under my care so she can have whatever fun she wanted to have. We have joint custody but different care and control for each child.

I know it's painful to let my son know the fact that he comes from a broken family. But I have to eventually when he grows up. Last time kept thinking why this situation had to happen when I just wanted to have a loving family. I did not do any wrong to anyone.

I have to let the teacher in the nursery know that I am a divorcee which I had overlooked. Life is harsh now but I have to grit my teeth and move on with my life. I have to admit that I don't enjoy parenting nor do I have any experience in doing so. Now, the ball is in my court. Either I serve it back correctly to the opposite side or I could just simply hit it outside the court. I can't be irresponsible to my son's future. I choose to slowly serve and guide the ball back correctly to the opposite with accuracy.

I know the road ahead is tough. I must always tell myself I can do it for the sake of my son and a better future. That's why I call myself a 'SUPERDAD WANNABE' !

superdad wannabe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MLR » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 pm

superdad wannabe wrote: Life is harsh now but I have to grit my teeth and move on with my life. I have to admit that I don't enjoy parenting nor do I have any experience in doing so. Now, the ball is in my court. Either I serve it back correctly to the opposite side or I could just simply hit it outside the court. I can't be irresponsible to my son's future. I choose to slowly serve and guide the ball back correctly to the opposite with accuracy.

I know the road ahead is tough. I must always tell myself I can do it for the sake of my son and a better future. That's why I call myself a 'SUPERDAD WANNABE' !

:celebrate: to you for your spirit and great attitute. It is tough for us with both parents trying our best, its even tougher on single parent.
AS always, there is always KSP forum with you and all the ever helpful members.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby windie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:17 pm

I have a contact of a teacher who does home sessions, but she charges $60/hr. She's very good and can help children with speech delay. Do let me know if you would like her contact.

windie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ZacK » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:32 pm

superdad wannabe wrote:I was divorced since mid 2008. My ex-wife insisted on taking the daughter although I told her to leave both children under my care so she can have whatever fun she wanted to have. We have joint custody but different care and control for each child.

I know it's painful to let my son know the fact that he comes from a broken family. But I have to eventually when he grows up. Last time kept thinking why this situation had to happen when I just wanted to have a loving family. I did not do any wrong to anyone.

I have to let the teacher in the nursery know that I am a divorcee which I had overlooked. Life is harsh now but I have to grit my teeth and move on with my life. I have to admit that I don't enjoy parenting nor do I have any experience in doing so. Now, the ball is in my court. Either I serve it back correctly to the opposite side or I could just simply hit it outside the court. I can't be irresponsible to my son's future. I choose to slowly serve and guide the ball back correctly to the opposite with accuracy.

I am glad that you have the attitude to wanna do your best in parenting your children. It's ok to take your time to serve and control your volley back to the opposite court ... Becos you want to stay in the game as long as you can :D

Do share your problems / issues / concerns you have online so that members here may offer some suggestions that you may consider.

Hang in there :celebrate:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby superdad wannabe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:32 am

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I will persist on my quest to teach my son well.

superdad wannabe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Working With Your Child