Preparing your Child at their Early Stage is it Good or Not?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Preparing your Child at their Early Stage is it Good or Not?

Postby chenSee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 pm

I have a child and I really emphasize the importance of a good education. That's why when she were still very young I began to work with her so she would be very well prepared for school when it came time. A lot of people do not realize that the early years of a child are so impressionable and that the mind can soak up all kinds of information if we just teach them in the right direction. Thats why its very important to approach them to study at their young stage... Is it good or it feels like im forcing her to study? :roll:

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Preparing your Child at their Early Stage is it Good or

Postby anderaaa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

I think it's good but maybe it shouldn't be in the idea of 'studying', but rather learning? Like maybe make it fun/enjoyable for her, make sure she learn and understand new stuff, not just studying, I think that's the common misconception which may have dire consequences (like stress)

anderaaa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby chenSee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm

ohh yes i totally agree with you :) I am finding a way on how to make it fun or exciting for her to learn new things.. :3 but there's a circumstances when she overly enjoyed it that made me think that she's not serious about it..i mean she's out of focus from learning..

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:20 am

chenSee wrote:ohh yes i totally agree with you :) I am finding a way on how to make it fun or exciting for her to learn new things.. :3 but there's a circumstances when she overly enjoyed it that made me think that she's not serious about it..i mean she's out of focus from learning..

You should be happy that she enjoys it. I would like to see that even in schoolgoing kids. I don't see why enjoyment and learning should be mutually exclusive. It doesn't mean that if she enjoys it she is learning less well. I didn't 'teach' my kids anything much (except reading for one of them) before they went to P1, but both learned a lot of things along the way - Maths, English, science, general knowledge etc. They didn't even realise that they were being prepared for school, but they were fine when they started school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Our Jolly Companion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 am

She is learning when she's enjoying it. When she's not enjoying, you might feel yourself forcing her to learn.

Our Jolly Companion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chenSee » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am

ahhh thank you guys..im quite learning based from your replies..i think im just over thinking/over reacting of her learning capabilities due to her emotional interaction w/ me.. :)

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 pm

If you make the learning v enjoyable and she enjoys it , i dont think its forcing her .
No choice but Sg academic system is pushing our kids to the limit in a way that if you dont take up extra classes, they r gonna suffer in primary school :(

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mum2mum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 pm

I would say it should be a balance. Taking time off your kids from playing games on gadgets and teaching them some useful early learning or bringing kids to the library is definitely worth while.

Learning and teaching doesn't have to be dry and boring. They are many teaching materials a parent can adopt.

I'm using the Children Learning Reading program to teach my son reading. He's definitely enjoying it and I'm pleased with his progress. View his reading progress here.

mum2mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lchunleo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:30 pm

mum2mum wrote:I would say it should be a balance. Taking time off your kids from playing games on gadgets and teaching them some useful early learning or bringing kids to the library is definitely worth while.

Learning and teaching doesn't have to be dry and boring. They are many teaching materials a parent can adopt.

I'm using the Children Learning Reading program to teach my son reading. He's definitely enjoying it and I'm pleased with his progress. View his reading progress here.

i have also bought it, had tried a few months ago in 2-3 times, on recognizing the phonics but have no success. I think my method is wrong. Btw have you bought the deluxe one? Can share does it worth the money for the deluxe? i bought the standard one.

How do you get your child interest in the phonics? my child is bored when i do it.

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bestforthem » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:44 pm

At what age i should start to teach her? My girl is two. Im reading books for her and she always flip the pages. I know its common for them at this age. Just need more advice.

bestforthem
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Working With Your Child