4yr old doesnt like Childcare, not performing in school

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

4yr old doesnt like Childcare, not performing in school

Postby Frenchkitty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:37 am

Hi parents, I would like to seek some advise.
My soon-to-be 4 yr old son doesn't seem to like going to school which is full-day childcare. His teacher feedbacked that he is not confident in school and cannot seem to recognise the 26 letters of the alphabet.

He has been with the same CCC for 3 years, and the teachers are the same... Previous year his teachers also said the same thing. I wonder if I should change schools for him to those 3-hour Kindy program? Or send him to enrichment classes??

Anybody facing same problem as me?

Frenchkitty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: 4yr old doesnt like Childcare, not performing in school

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 am

Did you chk his eye sight and ears?

My ds started learning much better when we discovered his ears had too much wax and a tendency to accumulate wax that affects his hearing. We discovered it when he was abt N1/N2.

How abt the teachers' attitude towards him? Do they still believe he is able to learn? Kids can sense when a teacher doubt his learning ability.

Sometimes, it's also the kid's attitude. After clearing the wax, ds was learning much better but was still behind due to his attitude. Then in K1 he decided rot catch up. Guess he decided to show his teachers what he can do LOL.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Agree you need to check for eyesight and hearing. Sometimes the kid switches off if he can't hear or see properly.

Also, send the kid for external enrichment as well. My boy was totally against Chinese in childcare but improved by leaps and bounds after I sent him to Berries. He also didn't like to read books by himself but that was solved with an external phonics class.

I don't depend wholly on the childcare for language education. To me, it's primarily a babysitting place. Anything my kids learn is a bonus.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Send your child for hearing and eye sight tests.

Also send him to a good, reliable Montessori kindergarten to help him catch up on languges and Maths.

also spend sometime with your child at home - help him revise the basic 26 fundamental sounds, from A to Z. If you not sure how 26 sounds sound like individually, you can buy a phonics CD cum workbook that'll teach, guide you. As a parent, you're the best teacher at home, to help him.

i)
for 26 individual sounds from A to Z -
you can buy "Ants on the Apple" phonics CD from "Right To Learn".
You can play this CD at home or when driving in your car, let yr son hear everyday. After listening often everyday, he should be able to master all the 26 sounds, if you can help him set a reasonable target timeframe timetable. A lot of kindergarten N1 or PG (Play group) parents purchased this CD - let their kids hear it at home, or inside the car when they're drivinig, etc.

the 26 individual sounds are very catchy and easy to pick up (A to Z) :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFyS3PrjZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdghjmnV ... n-GB&gl=SG

contact "Right to Learn" Montessori learning shop
telephone: 9759-1452
http://enrighten.com/

ii) after your son had mastered all the 26 sounds (A to Z) :-
next step is to - learn how to blend sounds.
example: c - at, b -at, m - at, f - at, etc.

for home use everyday - you may buy Christabel Hong phonics CD.
This CD teach you how to blend sounds.

The book that accompany phonics CD also contain rhymes related that're related to the blending sounds taught, to help yr child learn how to read aloud short rhymes passage(s). This CD very useful. For this, you may purchase from Popular bookstore(s), that still have stock left.

iii) never rely 100% on your childcare centre to teach your son everything.
Childcare centre had so many kids and toddlers to handle everyday, from all level (N1 / PG to K2). Teachers won't be able to give every individual child 100% attention, all the time. Once teacher(s) teach, will be good if parents can help their child revise at home, whatever child not sure of.

The same concept applies to Primary school(s).
From P1 onwards, there are around 30 pupils per class. It's a big class, no longer those kiddy kindergarten classroom setting. Once the teacher deliver lesson(s), students themselves also need to revise school work taught in classroom at home.
Last edited by phtthp on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Frenchkitty wrote:Hi parents, I would like to seek some advise.
My soon-to-be 4 yr old son doesn't seem to like going to school which is full-day childcare. His teacher feedbacked that he is not confident in school and cannot seem to recognise the 26 letters of the alphabet.

If he's not yet 4yo, don't you think it's too early to worry about recognising the alphabet? There's still plenty of time before he needs to learn to read. More importantly, is he happy there, does he participate in activities (not just lessons)? Why is he not keen to go? I would be concerned if he is being bullied or something else is making him unhappy there.

For academics, you might want to find out what the school does, and if they are doing age-appropriate things, I wouldn't worry. Expecting every child to recognise alphabets at 3yo is NOT age-appropriate. Some kids just pick things up later, but it doesn't mean they can't catch up later. My younger daughter only recognised letters reliably nearer 5yo than 4yo, and didn't read till nearly 6yo. But she has always done well in school. We just kept reading to her and talking to her, and we could tell that she was fine in terms of comprehension and vocab, just that she wasn't interested in reading and writing until we told her she had to do it before P1. Once she started learning to read, she got from phonics to chapter books in under 6 mths. So set appropriate milestones and don't worry about doing things too early.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Frenchkitty wrote:Hi parents, I would like to seek some advise.

He has been with the same CCC for 3 years, and the teachers are the same... Previous year his teachers also said the same thing. I wonder if I should change schools for him to those 3-hour Kindy program? Or send him to enrichment classes??

Anybody facing same problem as me?

Spent more time with the child to do letters recognition. Your child may have low self-esteem, do spent more time with your child over family bonding activities.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am

Let your child enjoy his childhood, instead of worrying about "performing in childcare".

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Frenchkitty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

thank you for your replies Mummies & Daddies.. During the CNY holidays I have spent alot of time with him, and also after speaking to his teacher, I realised he is not motivated in school and hence not paying attention / switch off ...
I asked my son at home, he seems to be able to recognise his letters and tell me what Animals/things for what Letters but in school he simply just switches off.
The teacher feedbacked that he likes pictures, colors and numbers better than Languages (ABC and Mandarin)..

after some discussion with his teacher and my hubby, we decided to let him try a couple more months there. If he's still not coping in the environment, we will switch him to a 4-hour "normal" Kindy program instead of full-day 8hour CCC.

Thanks & Happy New Year parents. Will keep you all updated in due course :)

Frenchkitty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Our Jolly Companion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:38 am

Give him more confident by encouraging him and assure him. In the CC, the teacher might not be able to teach them 1 by 1 with the number of children in class.
There should be a reason why he doesnt like going to cc, check with him. Ask and ask him again.
Children are to enjoy their childhood, to build more "colorful" memories.

Our Jolly Companion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Mine also don't like CC. Lots of tantrum before school. Ask my kid why, say nothing to do. :faint:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child