Care to share some tips for learning?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Care to share some tips for learning?

Postby Ongkia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello all, do your have any sharing tips to ensure that your kids will sit down to learn ABC, 123 - either by reading or writing.

My girls of 4yo to be, and 2 yo to be, seem interested, but does not have the patience to sit still to learn. Instead of using flash card to teach, my elder daughter tend to get the cards from me after repeating what I said.

What is the recommended duration for teaching upon using flash card, or using flash card from mobile apps? I realised that my elder daughter may not seem to rem the first 10 alphabets, so what kinda tip do your think it will help me with my kids?

Ongkia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Care to share some tips for learning?

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

My belief is that kids will learn if exposed to the ideas/letters, and they will be more interested if it's part of 'real life'. I just read and talked to my kids and didn't bother to 'teach' them anything formally until the year before they went to P1. If they see parents read, write, do math etc, they will naturally want to imitate and learn.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:01 pm

If just flash cards alone then 10-15 mis per day. If the child wants more can prolong a bit longer.

If you have other activities along with flash cards then 1hr but taking the lead fr your child again.

If you are using flash cards I take it you are into right brain thinking? Then you have to give allowance for output. It is not always input with immediate output.

How long have you been "working" with your kids ?

No matter what methods you believe in, need to give the kids time and also to find the "right" way to reach out to them. I'm still learning abt my kids learning style.

I find it to be so too, kids will do what interest parents. I like to read and my 3 kids, one of them a bb, read quite a bit. Bb don't really read, she just flip through the bks and bring bks for me to read to her. Now if only they will nap with me LOL.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sean wife » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm

How best to handle or ‘teach’ a 5+ year old child who seems to understand and apply concepts (maths related) very well one day, but when the same kind of concept or same kind of questions are asked again few days or couple of weeks later, she seems to have forgotten them cleanly? The frustrating part is trying to understand if she really does not get it, plain careless or doing it on purpose…:(

Sometimes it goes like….when newly introduced to a concept, she can get it even before you explain (I still try to explain nonetheless), but some time later, when you already expect her to know, she can tell you she does not know….sometimes I have to resort showing her the work which she has done previously and then she will go ‘orh’…

Any experience to share with this kind of child?

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Ongkia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks all for the kind advise.

I am more towards - free and easy daddy type. If they are interested, definitely I will teach. I do not like/ want to stress them out. So flash card is the best way, since they are given by my relative.

I do teach, but as and when, no formally schedule to follow.

I believe I am right brain? But creative side. haha

Sometime, I do not think they are ready for everything. Just introducing them bits by bits, eventually they are actually learning it by heart.

At least after seeing the advise from you all, I can say that I am stressed by my mom. She kept implying me that I did not teach them. ~.~

Ongkia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm

sean wife wrote:How best to handle or ‘teach’ a 5+ year old child who seems to understand and apply concepts (maths related) very well one day, but when the same kind of concept or same kind of questions are asked again few days or couple of weeks later, she seems to have forgotten them cleanly? The frustrating part is trying to understand if she really does not get it, plain careless or doing it on purpose…:(

Sometimes it goes like….when newly introduced to a concept, she can get it even before you explain (I still try to explain nonetheless), but some time later, when you already expect her to know, she can tell you she does not know….sometimes I have to resort showing her the work which she has done previously and then she will go ‘orh’…

Any experience to share with this kind of child?

What mathematical concepts are you teaching your child?

Value and qty? Addition? Multiplication? Subtraction? Division? Place value?

After you teach, do you let her to do it then ask her to show you the steps with new qns to show that she understands? When you ask her again did you ask with same qns or use different qns?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Ongkia wrote:Thanks all for the kind advise.

I am more towards - free and easy daddy type. If they are interested, definitely I will teach. I do not like/ want to stress them out. So flash card is the best way, since they are given by my relative.

Sometime, I do not think they are ready for everything. Just introducing them bits by bits, eventually they are actually learning it by heart.

At least after seeing the advise from you all, I can say that I am stressed by my mom. She kept implying me that I did not teach them. ~.~

Flash cards is one of the tools use for right brain training. I typo in my earlier post.

What does your mom wish you to teach them ?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sean wife » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi

Yes, all those that you have mention. This problem is not exactly confined to any particular topic though... But just to give an example, for questions like blank - 15= 20 , or blank /2= 6, she can one day do it perfectly well and even can explain why it is done that way, but come another day, she can get them wrong. Another eg would be those problem sums which require more than 1 step, sometimes she can surprise me by working them out logically without my guidance, but another day when she comes across same type but different questions, she will say she does not know...need my help.
My hubby says cannot scold or lose patience, else will hamper her confidence.
The frustration is perhaps also heightened because her twin sister seems to be more consistent in her ability and thus easier to teach...

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:28 pm

sean wife wrote:Hi

Yes, all those that you have mention. This problem is not exactly confined to any particular topic though... But just to give an example, for questions like blank - 15= 20 , or blank /2= 6, she can one day do it perfectly well and even can explain why it is done that way, but come another day, she can get them wrong. Another eg would be those problem sums which require more than 1 step, sometimes she can surprise me by working them out logically without my guidance, but another day when she comes across same type but different questions, she will say she does not know...need my help.
My hubby says cannot scold or lose patience, else will hamper her confidence.
The frustration is perhaps also heightened because her twin sister seems to be more consistent in her ability and thus easier to teach...

Maybe just need to repeat again. Judging by the qns you are teaching your kids, they are rather high ability, I think.

Just follow the child. Although, they are twins, doesn't mean equal strength in all aspects. :)

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ongkia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:
Ongkia wrote:Thanks all for the kind advise.

Flash cards is one of the tools use for right brain training. I typo in my earlier post.

What does your mom wish you to teach them ?

Well, my mom just hope that the kids will learn some simple ABC first, which i am doing it now. Slowly and sturdy. :xedfingers:

Ongkia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child