blogtv - Are we stressing our kids too much?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

blogtv - Are we stressing our kids too much?

Postby tankee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:20 am

Hi

this week's topic on blogtv.sg may strike a chord with some of us here.

Extracted from their website " ...In 2007, the IMH saw 3000 patients below the age of 19 who had problems in school.

We've always emphasized academic excellence. Are we stressing our kids too much, or are they simply too weak to handle it? ..."

what's your opinion? are we over stressing our kids because we are kiasu parents?

tankee
Site Admin

Re: blogtv - Are we stressing our kids too much?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 pm

tankee wrote:Hi

this week's topic on blogtv.sg may strike a chord with some of us here.

Extracted from their website " ...In 2007, the IMH saw 3000 patients below the age of 19 who had problems in school.

We've always emphasized academic excellence. Are we stressing our kids too much, or are they simply too weak to handle it? ..."

what's your opinion? are we over stressing our kids because we are kiasu parents?

Yes, and we have been invited to send in the most vocal of our community to talk about these issues on the show. If there is any interest, PM me.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby KingRascal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Oh..when would it be screened on TV? :D Would be interesting to catch it...

KingRascal
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

KSP Rep

Postby buds » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:48 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Yes, and we have been invited to send in the most vocal of our community to talk about these issues on the show. If there is any interest, PM me.

Oh? :!:

Wow! Cool! 8)

You wanna set up a poll for this selection,
to make it interesting...? Hehee.. :lol: :lol:

I'd like to see sashimi go on TV and give
everyone his dose of perspectives with
his usual sashimi style.

Short, sharp and sweet.

Note : Not that sashimi is the most vocal so
to speak.. :wink: Just more to straight to
the point, quick witted & also impeccable
English to add to that too!

We're after all not stupid too mah.. so must
send our most polished ones to showcase
the slogan nicely.

Dun flame me hor, sash.. :pray:

It's an honest compliment. :celebrate:

Note to Chief : Give KSP points to all winners of
poll and to the actual representative of our KSP
community. :lol:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 pm

I wonder what is the size of our population that are of schooling age and below 19 yrs old.

3000 may not be a very large % out of that size.

Are all the "problem at school" relating to school work? IMO, most likely a sizeable % are relating to BGR ...

furthermore, what is the % of the population above 19 yrs old that seek treatment at IMH?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:48 pm

tankee wrote:I wonder what is the size of our population that are of schooling age and below 19 yrs old.

3000 may not be a very large % out of that size.

Are all the "problem at school" relating to school work? IMO, most likely a sizeable % are relating to BGR ...

furthermore, what is the % of the population above 19 yrs old that seek treatment at IMH?

That definitely puts things in perspective. We all tend to look at the extreme cases and say that the world is ending because of them, without looking at the big picture. An average of 50K new students enter the system every year, so there should be about 650K kids under 19 in circulation at any one point of time.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:.... tend to look at the extreme cases and say that the world is ending ....

I was told by some media veterans recently that that is what media people like to do, else how to get sensational stories.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 am

buds, thanks for "nominating" sashimi but hor, I think he will decline not cos of time constraints and all that rot but....you know lah, he'll probably view this "event" as media BS. :roll: (Note that he does media work but he won't be drawn into the BS part of it.)

Also, the person who goes must be seen on TV leh. Considering how small S'pore is, where got chance to "escape" scrutiny in public later by those real kaypohs? Unless they do the Taiwanese style of getting the person to sit behind a screen and distort the voice. :rotflmao:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 am

tankee wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:.... tend to look at the extreme cases and say that the world is ending ....

I was told by some media veterans recently that that is what media people like to do, else how to get sensational stories.

Ya, very tabloid. Somehow this Extracted from their website " ...In 2007, the IMH saw 3000 patients below the age of 19 who had problems in school. makes me feel like it should belong on the cover of TNP or something equivalent.

P.S. Just in case there are people here who think I'm making fun of the real issue at hand, let me put your stray thoughts to rest; I do take such things seriously but I generally dislike the way the media handles such stuff.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaydenbrown » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:54 am

The media likes misinformation. That is the way they gain and how they get readership. Of course, it is also said that they alone control the fate of world events.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child