Secondary One Stress

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Secondary One Stress

Postby PuffyCakes » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Haiz... after 3 months of Sec 1 education, my DD is so stressed! Anyone children has the same feeling? :shrug:

PuffyCakes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Stress

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 pm

PuffyCakes wrote:Haiz... after 3 months of Sec 1 education, my DD is so stressed! Anyone children has the same feeling? :shrug:

There is a major paradigm shift between P6 and Sec 1. The focus changes sharply, such that students who were used to studying by themselves in Primary school will enjoy the new self-learning style of teaching that most teachers at this level will emphasized. Those used to the more objectivist style of learning atypical of primary school education will find it much harder.

It is quite usual to feel this stress :) . The new emphasis on CCA also takes quite a bit of study time away from the students. The ability to effectively multi-task becomes essential.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

1 people like this post

Re: Secondary One Stress

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm

I found the 3 months stressful too...a BIG jump from 4 to 7/8 subjects - 3 new subjects to study and the others like English/Math/Science/Chinese are tougher. Worst thing to cope? LONGER hours (and unpredictable days to stay back after school. I see my son so tired and yet have homework to do and humanities subjects to revise. Fortunately his CCA is on Friday, so weekends are free to catch up on rest and revision.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:35 am

i guess its normal to feel the stress , sec sch students have CCA+9 subjects to cope. however i think its best to study during weekend . will be too tiring to study after a long day of school its worse than working now .

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby oliveoil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 am

sundaymorning wrote:i guess its normal to feel the stress , sec sch students have CCA+9 subjects to cope. however i think its best to study during weekend . will be too tiring to study after a long day of school its worse than working now .

Fully agreed with what you said. They leave home by 6.30am and come home after 6.30pm ! My DD started to ask to be absent from school :(

oliveoil
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 am

Weekdays son leaves the house by 640am...certain days of the week he stays back till 330 or 430pm...then homework to be done at night. This Thur, he has swimming after school followed by ABC trail in Jurong garden till 6pm...Friday he has 4km walk at Japanese garden 730-11am (no school).
I really pity kids having such punishing schedule at Sec 1.

Oh yes, he had a 10 page home economics report to be done last night.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:27 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Weekdays son leaves the house by 640am...certain days of the week he stays back till 330 or 430pm...then homework to be done at night. This Thur, he has swimming after school followed by ABC trail in Jurong garden till 6pm...Friday he has 4km walk at Japanese garden 730-11am (no school).

but the things you mentioned aren't very academic and sound quite fun too!!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Weekdays son leaves the house by 640am...certain days of the week he stays back till 330 or 430pm...then homework to be done at night. This Thur, he has swimming after school followed by ABC trail in Jurong garden till 6pm...Friday he has 4km walk at Japanese garden 730-11am (no school).

but the things you mentioned aren't very academic and sound quite fun too!!!

Ya, the hours seems quote all right too.....my ds have more stress from cca than academic.....the school academic work seems to be still in 1st gear......

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Long hours from such activities are ok if teachers do not pile on homework.
Anyway, he will usually get school work done during weekends. Friday is the day he stays back till 6...he is like zombie when he reaches home.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Janet, u shd learn to let go lah...ESP for boys.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child