Private Life coaches for children?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Private Life coaches for children?

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:26 am

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Private Life coaches for children?

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 am

What age kids? And do people actually engage professional life coaches for kids? I would think that parents should be the natural 'coaches', or other older family members like an uncle/aunt, older cousin etc?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 am

slmkhoo wrote:What age kids? And do people actually engage professional life coaches for kids? I would think that parents should be the natural 'coaches', or other older family members like an uncle/aunt, older cousin etc?

My P6 younger boy.

I think I am not doing it properly. Anyway, there is no one else in the family he is afraid of or will listen to.

Hence I am thinking of getting some professional help.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spongebobpatrick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Jennifer, I have a contact that i remember provides such coaching for students etc.

Mr Chin
Handphone: 81133855
Positive Intentions Pte Ltd (www.pipl.com.sg)

You can contact him if you are keen...i dont have any other infor on rates etc.

Hope he can be of help :smile:

spongebobpatrick
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am

Jennifer wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:What age kids? And do people actually engage professional life coaches for kids? I would think that parents should be the natural 'coaches', or other older family members like an uncle/aunt, older cousin etc?

My P6 younger boy.

I think I am not doing it properly. Anyway, there is no one else in the family he is afraid of or will listen to.

Maybe seeing a counsellor may help?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

My P6 younger boy.

Maybe seeing a counsellor may help?

Do you hv someone to recommend?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Jennifer wrote:Do you hv someone to recommend?

Sorry, I'm still overseas, and generally the people I know will see someone in church. Maybe google for 'family counsellors' in Singapore? What exactly are the issues? Maybe others here can help with advice?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Not directly related, but I find that P6 kids tend to be moody probably due to PSLE stress, lack of sleep and changing hormones.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:35 pm

ammonite wrote:Not directly related, but I find that P6 kids tend to be moody probably due to PSLE stress, lack of sleep and changing hormones.

I always find him very self centred. It is straining our relationships. His poor time mgt :sweat:

Eg the recent Monday. After school, he has CL tuition at 3pm. I dropped him off n went to Bt Panjang Plaza to run some errands. This is std practice. He is very familiar with what shops are in this mall.

Fast forward to 8pm-
He: I need 1m by 1 ft sand paper
I: I hv never come across any shop that sells this size. What do u need it for?
He: Science lesson tmr
I: u sure 1m by 1 ft?
He: Yes. Can we go to Popular to buy?
I: I was at Bt Panjang Plaza this afternoon. Why didn't u say about it then? Go call your father to see if he can bring back from office?

So he went off to call his father.

Fast forward to 8.30pm. Hubby came home with 1 piece of A4 size.

Ah boy then complained papa should hv brought back more pieces so that he can make them up to 1 ft by 1 ft.

So hubby drove him out to Popular at Clementi.

10pm returned home empty handed, black faced.

Then came out of his room telling me he still had EL comprehension homework to do.

OK, I did not blow though it was way passed the official sleeping hour.

Then tell me to go buy some more sandpaper tmr and bring to school to him at 1.30pm

My goodness- the rush trip out was not necessary. Still I did not blow as I did not want to distract him in finishing his sch work.

Similar incidents hv surfaced in the past. All boils down to his forgetfulness n poor time mgt.

When I tried to talk to him about this, he would apologise but these incidents would re-surface again and again.

I tried to treat him like a mini adult, giving him choices and the rights to make decisions. However he disappoints me again and again.

Now I do not give him black faced when he could not light out at 9.30pm. But these days, he is getting out of control. Light out is pushed beyong 10.30pm bcos he needs to:

1. check his room
2. pack his bag
3. drink water
4. go pee a few times

#3 and #4 are most disturbing bcos he will be coming out and going in into his room, closing the door noisily. These days, his door creaked bcos the aircon temp must be set to 18 deg C with the ceiling fan at full speed bcos his room is too hot, must cool down before he can sleep :frustrated:

None of us can sleep well before he really lights out. Last night my elder boy finally blew up and shouted at him.

There are many other issues. I shall not bother everyone here :imdrowning:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Has he always been like this, or is this recent? My older girl is forgetful and irresponsible too, but we discovered that it's partly due to learning disabilities, so we have lower expectations of her. When she forgets to tell me things, I don't go out of my way to help her, especially not rushing out at night. I will let her explain to her teachers and get whatever penalties they dish out, but because they know her issues, they are sometimes not as strict as I could wish. She's 16yo now, and I can see gradual improvement over the years, although still not as good as I would like.

Similarly with undone homework, I will not allow her to stretch bedtime by more than 30 mins. She just has to explain to the teacher the next day and accept the penalty. But because I knew she couldn't really handle responsibility, I continued to remind her to check her outstanding work until she was about 13yo before relaxing gradually. In contrast, my younger girl has been mostly looking after her own schoolwork since lower Pr school. I think maybe your son may need more supervision for a while yet?

As for inconsiderate behaviour, maybe you can set rules and penalties? But you may have to give a bit here as kids of this age do get cranky due to PSLE stress and hormones. I do feel that 18C is a bit low - can you try to tell him how un-green he's being, as well as the cost?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child