How does your child's school teacher handle unfocused child?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How does your child's school teacher handle unfocused child?

Postby baobei » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

I would like to find out how your child's teacher handle your child or others when your child is not focus and/or do not do classwork and homework? Mine says it is too time consuming to keep checking on child to ensure child do the work though knowing difficulties child faced.

baobei
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How does your child's school teacher handle unfocused ch

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm

baobei wrote:I would like to find out how your child's teacher handle your child or others when your child is not focus and/or do not do classwork and homework? Mine says it is too time consuming to keep checking on child to ensure child do the work though knowing difficulties child faced.

I have never expected teachers to do much for my child as they have so many kids to look after. At most, they will walk by her desk and point to the book or whatever to indicate that she needed to focus. They will remind her to write down in the notebook all the work that is unfinished so that I know what to do with her at home.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby baobei » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
baobei wrote:I would like to find out how your child's teacher handle your child or others when your child is not focus and/or do not do classwork and homework? Mine says it is too time consuming to keep checking on child to ensure child do the work though knowing difficulties child faced.

I have never expected teachers to do much for my child as they have so many kids to look after. At most, they will walk by her desk and point to the book or whatever to indicate that she needed to focus. They will remind her to write down in the notebook all the work that is unfinished so that I know what to do with her at home.

So the teachers would walk by your girl desk and remind her to jot down unfinished work whenever she is not focus or did not finish her tasks. Good teacher!

baobei
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm

baobei wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:

So the teachers would walk by your girl desk and remind her to jot down unfinished work whenever she is not focus or did not finish her tasks. Good teacher!

During class, the teacher might call her name when she drifted, or just tap her book if she walked past. At the end of each lesson, each teacher would write the homework on the board for the kids to copy (this was Pr 1 & 2, and it was an overseas school). The other thing I taught her, and with repeated nagging it worked most of the time, was to put all undone work in a particular folder to bring home. And I allowed my daughter to get into trouble now and again when the system failed - it helped her remember to keep to the system. I don't know how teachers get kids to note down work into their notebooks in Singapore. Another possibility is to ask another child to be your child's buddy and remind your child to note down undone work.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KimMills » Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 pm

It is the teacher's responsibility of the students and provide them with their guidance so that they can develop optimally and rise like all the other children. But unfortunately many do not understand this responsibility.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 am

KimMills wrote:It is the teacher's responsibility of the students and provide them with their guidance so that they can develop optimally and rise like all the other children. But unfortunately many do not understand this responsibility.

To be fair to teachers, parents need to realise that their child is only one of 30 or 40 in a class, and a teacher cannot focus too much on just a few. I have always tried to be conscious of that when asking for help for my daughter. I only ask for little things which shouldn't add too much to the teacher's load, and try to make up with other solutions.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 am

How old is your kid?
From my observation, many lower primary kids are unfocused and since P1/2 is like honeymoon these days, there is little expectation.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon May 27, 2013 8:30 am

slmkhoo wrote:
KimMills wrote:It is the teacher's responsibility of the students and provide them with their guidance so that they can develop optimally and rise like all the other children. But unfortunately many do not understand this responsibility.

To be fair to teachers, parents need to realise that their child is only one of 30 or 40 in a class, and a teacher cannot focus too much on just a few. I have always tried to be conscious of that when asking for help for my daughter. I only ask for little things which shouldn't add too much to the teacher's load, and try to make up with other solutions.

With a class of 40, I seriously doubt the teachers can customise her lessons to suit each and every kid, all having diff learning capability.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 路人甲 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 am

What do you mean by child is not focus?

Could it be child slept late thus too tired to pay attention in class? Or is that a case of constant playfulness in class causing him to not pay attention in class and unable to do his work. Or just unable to catch up with the speed the teacher is going?

There is only so much a teacher could do and it is the duty of the parents to make sure that homework are done properly and submit on time.

If the child is constantly forgetful about his homework, the parent can form a whatsapp group with other parents in the class.

That's is what my sil did. She didn't know anyone in the class but when someone invited her to join such a group, she did so. The group constantly reminded each other of the day's homework, tests and other school matters.

Out of a class of 30/40 students, I am sure there will be some who are keen to do so.

As a parent, you have a choice of helping your child.

路人甲
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KimMills » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 pm

I also feel that not all children can excel in academics. So, we as parents or teachers must understand the child's inclination and make them achieve something in that field apart from studying the courses that are in the academics. Like some may be very good in football, some in cricket, some in music, dance, etc.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child