my 16 months old dd not eating any solid food

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

my 16 months old dd not eating any solid food

Postby Suberna » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am

My 16 months old daughter not accepting any kind of solid food. She only eats following
- Milk (we add cereal with it so that can last for long)
- yogurt (she likes)
- some baby biscuits (not always)

Before 12 months she was interested to try new foods and we managed to feed her pureed vege with rice at least once or twice a day. Then she starts teething (teething took very long). once she started teething she refusing all foods accept above three. we try many ways but no success. her weight & height is ok and and she is very playful also.

anyone have any idea? how to make her interested in foods?

Suberna
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: my 16 months old dd not eating any solid food

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 am

This happened to my 3 kids. 1st one we were very kancheong, we were tearing out our hairs on what to do. LOL. When it happened to no. 2, we just go with the flow. For no. 2, the period lasted for abt 6 months before he eats normally.

During the 6 months we just fed him the food/fruits that he was willing to eat.

For example, he was ok with french toast, so I made that for many days....... I would slice it like french fries and he would eat it like finger food.

For the 3rd one, the time-frame was shorter, she was only into sushi rice + seaweed and pasta.

During the "not eating" period we still tempt them with other food so that we know when they are ok to eat normally again. LOL

As long as the child is healthy and active, then should be ok. The eating pattern will go back to normal sooner or later.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Suberna » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks SAHM_TAN..as first time mom always very worried. You experience gives me some relief.

Suberna
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 am

If you are serious about getting her to eat solids, then don't mix cereals in the milk. Also cut back on milk to 2 cups a day and give water in between. When she is hungry, she will be more inclined to eat solids. Kids who drink too much will less hungry because of all the liquid. Also, let her eat the same food as you, and eat with her. She will be more inclined to eat when it's a family activity.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 am

Is it possible your dd does not like puréed food?

My kids, when they reached a certain age, do not like puréed food, I'm not sure is it becos of the texture or taste or that they are ready to move on.

When they rejected puréed food, I either cut the food into smaller pieces or cooked the food till it's softer.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Suberna » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:51 am

I have tried finger food also and if i don't give her milk she wont eat anything whole day. I cannot understand how she can stay without eating for such long time. its quite frustrating. She is having constipation also. I guess its because of her eating habit.

Suberna
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Stacy Sung » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:38 pm

My son is 14mths n only recently than he start accepting porriage. Before that we just give him cereal .When we start with porriage he screams n cry n refused to eat. so we add a bit of porriage into cereal and after trying 2-3 mths now he finally accepted it.

Stacy Sung
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby straffan23 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:11 am

I agree with the cutting down milk part. The other thing is to introduce a new environment - e.g. take her out to the park, and when it's mealtime, try sometime different such as a picnic (bread, porridge, noodles)... or have lunch with other fellow toddlers. A new environment might offer a different point of view for the child, too.

It is usually a phase that many children will go through and they usually turn out okay - parents job is not to force them to eat, but continue positive encouragement, e.g. eat together, healthy meals, give them a variety, etc. I also saw a documentary on BBC once, that says a common "mistake" parents make is that we do not allow children to "play" with food. So the host puts 5 different mystery items and told the parents - EAT THIS... The lesson was that we should let the children touch and experiment... they put what they like into their mouths! For better or worse!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KimMills » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Restrict the amount of milk she takes, like 2 or 3 times a day. Also make eating a fun activity, eat when she is sitting beside you and offer her sometimes so that she gets a taste of everything and not just pureed food or cereals.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child