LEARNConcierge

books for 10-12 year old boys

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: books for 10-12 year old boys

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 am

Clearsky wrote:My boy recently read maze runner... I think is a hot cake book for all boys and girls now.

Revisiting this (above post in 2014).
I picked out mazerunner for my 11yr old boy and returned it to the shelves again.
1. Is book 1 contents violent?
2. Does it make sense to only read book 1 and not book 2 and onwards? I read reviews that book 2 is more violent than book 1 - valid?

Thanks.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:09 am

Huting wrote:What do you think about audio books for kids that doesn't like to read?

(Above quote from 2014)
I think it depends on what kind of learner is the kid. For my ds2 who is a poor audio learner, the same book we tried hardcopy and audio. He finds audio too slow, cannot flip back to revisit certain clues/plot. Audio books work well (for us) for certain genre of books like funny ones that are read animatedly by the audio but some books that describe the vast wilderness, my boy said so boring...It means he just browse the contents to get to the plot and disregard the descriptive surrounding etc.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby naomiwong001 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 pm

I would suggest the little prince. has always been my favourite book to read to my nephews and neices and now that I have a cute baby boy, i would love to read that story to him when he grows up.
:)

naomiwong001
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 am

Is Ender's game book 2 / series suitable for kids? It is in Adult section of the library (book 1 is in YA section) and online parents review state not suitable for kids. Ds2 finished book 1 over the weekend and asked if i know about the violence in the book. He is looking forward to book 2 but i am not sure if it is suitable for 11yr olds.

Any comments from those who read or whose kids have read? Thanks.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 am

Is Ender's game book 2 / series suitable for kids? It is in Adult section of the library (book 1 is in YA section) and online parents review state not suitable for kids. Ds2 finished book 1 over the weekend and asked if i know about the violence in the book. He is looking forward to book 2 but i am not sure if it is suitable for 11yr olds.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby james061 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Here are some book recommendations for 10 years boy

The Map to Everywhere
Rain Reign.
The Boundless
The Black Stallion

james061
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Sat May 06, 2017 1:22 am

jedamum wrote:Is Ender's game book 2 / series suitable for kids? It is in Adult section of the library (book 1 is in YA section) and online parents review state not suitable for kids. Ds2 finished book 1 over the weekend and asked if i know about the violence in the book. He is looking forward to book 2 but i am not sure if it is suitable for 11yr olds.

I think Ender's game is actually part of GEP reading list - I loved that book. I read most of the books in the series, as well as the parallel story (Ender's Shadow - this is told from Bean's perspective).

Up to parents really. if a child can handle that, I don't see why not. there is some violence but I took it as part of the story, to see why Ender does what he did. It doesn't encourage violence, and in fact I feel the series encourages one to be understanding of others who may be different and tells people to seek understanding rather than conquest. Anyway, as the story proceeds, kids grow up and there will be more description of the romantic type. It's not that easy to find the other books - took me a while to borrow Xenocide from NLB because there are so few books available. AND, the follow on stories are not as exciting as Ender's game (I feel). There's another offshoot that talks about the kids when they go back to earth (sans Ender) and what happens after - quite interesting but a bit lengthy.

BTW, if you are concerned about violence, then skip Ender's Shadow. Bean's growing up years also v tragic and fairly violent. It was really interesting to see the same story from another perspective.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Sat May 06, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks hquek.
I have Speaker for the Dead sitting on my bookshelf but hidden out of sight. Will see if he be keen after Sa1. Maybe I flip through first. Or wait another year. Have mazerunner on the shelf too but read reviews that book 2 is very violent.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sean wife » Sat May 06, 2017 9:32 am

I actually let my P4 girls read Ender's game recently...but I am not as hardworking as hquek to read through the books first...but thought since it is on the ERP booklist, should not be that unsuitable right? I also borrowed the subsequent books from the library but they are not interested in those... also finished maze runner first few books last year. Sometimes I feel my girls are regressing, they actually want to read books like whimpy kids and dork diaries...

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat May 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Sean wife
I don't remember Ender's game in p4 gep booklist. I didn't read it, it was my son who told me about it. I briefly flipped through another book in p5 gep booklist under Adult category and didn't like the language used by the main character. So though the story supposed to be good, I chose to let kid read other stuff on the list.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

LEARNConcierge