Do you get stressed out when your kids are having exams?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Do you get stressed out when your kids are having exams?

Postby Little M » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:21 pm

DS is only going to have his bronze swimming survival test tonight, and i m getting the butterflies in my tummy! :roll:

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby daisyt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Little M, is your DS your only child ?

I think most parents of single child tend to stress out more than those with more children. :D I get stress out for any of her major events, whatever exams and compeitions. :oops: :oops:

I guess you are normal, haha :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I do get stressed when DD has to take tests/exams, etc. But it is not becos of my expectations of her performance; she has high expectations of herself for certain things and she gets rather upset if she can't meet her expectations. DH and I have to anticipate this and console/encourage/distract her when this happens.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Little M » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:09 pm

I have a younger daughter (5yr old)also. DS is 7yrs old.

I think I know why I m stressing out on his survival test. Because yesterday I took him to the pool to just so he could practice what he needs to do for the test. So yesterday was the first time I saw what he has to do. That he has to take out his pjs and tie 2 knots in his pj pants, blow air in the pants to make a balloon, all the while ducking in n out of the water!?!? I kinda freaked out a little.. coz I m afraid there could b mishaps? But I guess this is what the test is all about, learning to survive in extreme conditions?!?!

Anyway, I will b going to the test with him later. So if theres any need, I would jump in n save him :lol: But I m sure everything will turn out just fine...

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby daisyt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:18 pm

schellen wrote:I do get stressed when DD has to take tests/exams, etc. But it is not becos of my expectations of her performance; she has high expectations of herself for certain things and she gets rather upset if she can't meet her expectations. DH and I have to anticipate this and console/encourage/distract her when this happens.


Hi schellen, I am in the same situiation as you. We have to keep telling her, its OK even if you don't win, its OK if you drop a little and all the OKs. But she told us "Its OK for you but not OK for me." So we have to telling her many life stories and blar blar blar. Worst still, she would cry and feel sad for her other team mates even when her team win. :(

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby schellen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 pm

daisyt wrote:Hi schellen, I am in the same situiation as you. We have to keep telling her, its OK even if you don't win, its OK if you drop a little and all the OKs. But she told us "Its OK for you but not OK for me." So we have to telling her many life stories and blar blar blar. Worst still, she would cry and feel sad for her other team mates even when her team win. :(


Her standards will change from time to time and so will the things she sets her standards on. For example, in the past, she will get upset if she doesn't get full marks for spelling or tingxie but now, I think she is okay with it. I'll just check her work, make sure that she does her corrections and learn from her mistakes. As for her team winning while others don't, I think she hasn't reached the empathy level yet. However, I think if her best friends are on another team and they lose, she would probably feel bad for them (but maybe not so bad if it's her team who won. :roll: ).

Maybe DD is like me cos I remember people (including my parents) telling me that my 'O' Level results were good (nothing below B3) but I was still upset because the aggregate was too high.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Do you get stressed out when your kids are having exams?

Postby sleepy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Little M wrote:DS is only going to have his bronze swimming survival test tonight, and i m getting the butterflies in my tummy! :roll:


My dd passed her first bronze test this week. She had water probia & I recalled vividly her first 20 lessons - she cried throughout! After she passed her bronze swimming test, I asked her had she ever pictured herself being able to swim? She shaked her head. I guess she's surprised herself too by passing her bronze test. She didn't have much confidence before the test. She has come a long way after almost 3 years of swimming lessons. Top take away from this experience is to KEEP TRYING :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Re: Do you get stressed out when your kids are having exams?

Postby Little M » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 pm

sleepy wrote:My dd passed her first bronze test this week.



Well done to your dd. DS passed also. Some kids actually hyperventilated during the part where they take out the pjs and make the pants into balloons. I praised DS for keeping his cool thru out the test. But he was nervous b4 the test, he went to the toilet like 3 times in 20mins. :lol:

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Do you get stressed out when your kids are having exams?

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:27 am

Little M wrote:
sleepy wrote:My dd passed her first bronze test this week.



Well done to your dd. DS passed also. Some kids actually hyperventilated during the part where they take out the pjs and make the pants into balloons. I praised DS for keeping his cool thru out the test. But he was nervous b4 the test, he went to the toilet like 3 times in 20mins. :lol:


I thought they should have had loads of practice beforehand? I recall my swimming instructor making us practice non-stop before the actual test! & when it came to the real test, it was a breeze!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby kaydenbrown » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Well, of course, I am always very anxious for my kids to excel in anything and I also understand how it feels.

Every parent wants the best for his/her child. Although we all might not admit it, there is a certain feeling that cannot be put to words when your kid achieves something big.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Working With Your Child