Does being a mom make you generally more of an anxious perso

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Does being a mom make you generally more of an anxious perso

Postby angel89 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Like constant fear of something bad will happen, anxiety, paranoid etc? Have you experienced this kind of feelings?

angel89
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Does being a mom make you generally more of an anxious p

Postby Nihauma » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 pm

sometimes not constant. once in a while i would think of what ifs....
but i am not sure if it is because i am a mom. i think it is just my nature.

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby angel89 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 pm

do you ever concider this as one of your stress?? :)

angel89
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kamom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Yes, I do get anxious and I do think it is a mom thing.

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Some anxiety must be natural for every caring parent, but I suppose if the anxiety is severe enough to disrupt normal life or cause undue stress, it's a problem.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Constant fear - definitely not without good reason. If you are in a constant state of anxiety, it will be good to set aside some time everyday to clear your mind and do deep breathing. Start with ten minutes. Later increase to two or three times a day.

If this isn't for you, consider using relaxing music, or shower breaks, or brisk walks. Anything as long as it snaps you out of that emotion.

You should also try to identify if there is a particular concern, and look at it objectively to see what you can and cannot do. Sometimes just writing it down can help to reduce the anxiety.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Nihauma wrote:sometimes not constant. once in a while i would think of what ifs....

I am anxious bcos the education system is tough and I worry if kids can cope. Guess as a mom, I worry about their health and welfare etc etc...endless.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
Nihauma wrote:sometimes not constant. once in a while i would think of what ifs....

I am anxious bcos the education system is tough and I worry if kids can cope. Guess as a mom, I worry about their health and welfare etc etc...endless.

Maybe you can focus on their strengths instead. Very few people are good at everything.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 am

I worried for my P3 ds who:

1) still cannot study independently. Is it normal?

2)I've to summarize the Science notes for him coz he is someone who refuses to sit still n study.

3) He dislikes drawing model for maths.Modeling is impt to solve difficult math Qs.His teacher said cannot use "free hand". If he draws,he also takes very long time.

My DH asks me to relax,but very difficult le.Coz he is not the one who coping wf kiddo's homework,exam n daily physical & mental thingie....

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 am

vinegar wrote:I worried for my P3 ds who:

1) still cannot study independently. Is it normal?
Depends on the child. I have one who didn't manage independence until sec school, so at P3 still needed quite close supervision. Be patient, but keep trying to push greater independence in small steps.
2)I've to summarize the Science notes for him coz he is someone who refuses to sit still n study.
Make him make his own notes, even if it's in 10-min bursts. You can add and edit if his product isn't good enough, but don't let him rely on you too much.
3) He dislikes drawing model for maths.Modeling is impt to solve difficult math Qs.His teacher said cannot use "free hand". If he draws,he also takes very long time.
Again, small doses may help. I would ignore his teacher if his free hand drawing is reasonably neat. She will get tired of complaining eventually.
My DH asks me to relax,but very difficult le.Coz he is not the one who coping wf kiddo's homework,exam n daily physical & mental thingie....Remember the end result is how the kids are when they are grown up - we want them to be independent thinkers and learners, so a little 'messiness' in the early stages is the price we pay. If they are over-regulated and supported now, they are more likely to need handholding longer, maybe forever.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child