How to expand vocabulary??

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to expand vocabulary??

Postby KimMills » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 am

Hello everyone, I was thinking of intorducing my kid to some sort of activities or games that can help him improve his vocabulary. Can anyone please suggest me some fun ways to expand vocabulary in a small chile of 3-4 years? Thanks for any replies.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to expand vocabulary??

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 am

The best way is to read to him a lot. Also, talk normally to him, using complete sentences and appropriate words, not baby talk. Even if he doesn't understand the words, he can probably work it out from context, or you can explain a bit more. Expand vocab in daily life by talking about similar concepts as you encounter situations and objects eg. shapes, colours, parent-child pairs, rhymes, occupations, vehicles, food, expressions, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms ... at this age, just about everything is a learning opportunity.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:35 am

slmkhoo,
ur future grandchildren will be very lucky...their grandma is so knowledgeable...

my boy is P3 now,i still read for him...

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

vinegar wrote:slmkhoo,
ur future grandchildren will be very lucky...their grandma is so knowledgeable...

my boy is P3 now,i still read for him...

I'm going to be a hands-off grandma! I hope my kids will improve on what I did with them. At least some of it seems to have paid off.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 am

KimMills wrote:Hello everyone, I was thinking of intorducing my kid to some sort of activities or games that can help him improve his vocabulary. Can anyone please suggest me some fun ways to expand vocabulary in a small chile of 3-4 years? Thanks for any replies.

I agreed with simkhoo. Once your child appreciates the joy of reading, he will automatically read widely on his own.

I read to both my kids when there are toddlers. Once they know how to read on their own (both started reading independently around 3yo), I stopped reading to them. Just have to litter books that are appropriate for their level around them & they will pick up & read. Now my 11 yo actually enjoy reading Biology Sec text for leisure. So I told her I may get her a higher level text if she's interested to read further & I'm pleasantly surprised when she replied 'thank you mummy'.

By the way, I remember they like to play scabble around preschool age. So maybe you can try playing scrabble with your boy too

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am

sleepy wrote:I read to both my kids when there are toddlers. Once they know how to read on their own (both started reading independently around 3yo), I stopped reading to them. Just have to litter books that are appropriate for their level around them & they will pick up & read.

Some kids appreciate being read to longer, maybe because they are auditory. My younger daughter enjoyed being read to until about 8yo although she could read independently before that. She was a later reader (6yo) because she wasn't that interested in reading for herself, but her language skills and vocab were good for her age. She became a keen reader eventually. One of the benefits of reading aloud until the kids are older is that they can be exposed to more words and sentence structures than they can read for themselves. It does mean more work for the parent though!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 am

slmkhoo wrote:Some kids appreciate being read to longer, maybe because they are auditory. My younger daughter enjoyed being read to until about 8yo although she could read independently before that. She was a later reader (6yo) because she wasn't that interested in reading for herself, but her language skills and vocab were good for her age. She became a keen reader eventually. One of the benefits of reading aloud until the kids are older is that they can be exposed to more words and sentence structures than they can read for themselves. It does mean more work for the parent though!

:wink: I'm lazy then. I'm all too glad to stop reading to them once they can read on their own. The earlier they start reading, the earlier I can be hands-off. Books are great babysitter!

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JohnYeo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 pm

KimMills wrote:Hello everyone, I was thinking of intorducing my kid to some sort of activities or games that can help him improve his vocabulary. Can anyone please suggest me some fun ways to expand vocabulary in a small chile of 3-4 years? Thanks for any replies.

Hi KimMills,

My DD1 is 3 y.o too and we have been reading to her daily since she was 6 months old...yes, though my English is not very good....but I do make sure I read the full sentence out so that DD1 listens to complete English sentences...not sure how much it helps but DD1 can say some of the words she always heard in the stories we read to her...hope this helps.

John

JohnYeo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KimMills » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. Now I must become a dedicated mother to my kids and make them read good stories. At this age children learn anything and everything they see and hear.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 am

yeah agree, children learn everything the good and bad . :)
So as parents, we must really set a good example, they imitate even the way we talk . I do agree that reading stories to them since young is a good practice.

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child