How to keep track of first year poly student?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to keep track of first year poly student?

Postby KiasuAK » Fri May 03, 2013 11:40 am

Hello everyone, my son just started poly this year. Any advise from parents on whether/how they keep track of their child's activities? Eg :

How well their child is doing and keeping up/adjusting with poly life and studies?

And timing of school lessons/activities/projects?

Any advise welcome.

KiasuAK
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: How to keep track of first year poly student?

Postby slmkhoo » Fri May 03, 2013 12:32 pm

A poly student is 16-17yo and should be largely independent in keeping track of his academic work and timetable. In terms of keeping track of his social activities andadjustmet, just talking to him should be sufficient to give you a sense of how he's coping as long as you have developed the habit of discussing such things at home. If you can get him to agree, you can ask him to fill in some major dates and events on a calendar somewhere at home so you can consult it. But I think at this age parents need to stand back and let the child manage while keeping a watch to see that he doesn't get into serious trouble.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm

When me and my siblings were in tertiary education, basic is let my parents know what were my dismissal timings so they know when to expect us to be home. If need to stay back for project/self study, or go out with friends, call home (no handphone at that time). even when started working, it is basic courtesy to call home if need to do overtime or go out with friends - by lunchtime so that mummy dearest need not prepare my share of dinner.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wonderm » Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm

KiasuAK wrote:Hello everyone, my son just started poly this year. Any advise from parents on whether/how they keep track of their child's activities? Eg :

How well their child is doing and keeping up/adjusting with poly life and studies?

Any advise welcome.

My son in JC1 this year, so same age as Poly first year.

In terms of keeping track, it is basically through communication with him. He shares with me his school time table and also about CCAs and other major activities he signed up for. I get to know how well he is coping with JC life through chit chatting with him.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm

KiasuAK wrote:Hello everyone, my son just started poly this year. Any advise from parents on whether/how they keep track of their child's activities? Eg :

Any advise welcome.

My two elder kids went / going thru the poly route (one graduated and one final year).

The graduated daughter, a very 'boring' girl, would come home everyday after class (think latest is 6 pm). She would not skip dinner with us unless absolutely necessary coz she preferred home cooked food and could save $$$ (her pocket money was $180/month in her third year and she still managed to save $$$). She was in the bio class and so, not so 'active' (most of her projects were lab-based and so if labs closed at 5 pm, all have to leave at 5 pm). She joined only 1 CCA that didn't require frequent meetings and so quite 'free'.

My 3rd year son's schedule is like 'no day no night' kind. He is in the media course. Projects are mostly filming and shooting and his group mates will go to various venues for the projects. I know his kakis coz sometimes they will shoot in my school or in my house and those shootings can be overnight at times. His pocket money for his 3rd year is $350/month and still money not enough (that he has to take on ad hoc part time jobs coz he said money really not enough but I think $350 is the max that I can give him). His CCAs are mostly sports and so very busy during school holidays and not so during term time. Last time (Year 1) used to be if he didnt come home for dinner, he would call. Now is IF he comes back for dinner, he will call...

Perhaps you can get hold of his timetable and have an idea of the schedule. However, my experience is even with a time table, the schedule can be irregular coz lectures can be replaced / change timings, etc (errr...meaning even if a child wants to lie, it maybe more difficult for parents to detect unless parents want to call up the school to verify which few will do so. I have never checked and will take my cheeky son's words for it).

I don't track their school work at all since Year 1 (coz no way I can track as their courses I catch no ball). After every sem, they will show me their scores and then i nod my head and off they go.

Both cope/d very well in school and enjoy/ed themselves much in poly (think life was great enough for my daughter to request to buy a poly jacket to be brought to UK to 'show off' when she saw others 'showing off' with their HCI, RI, SJI, etc jackets).

Poly life is very different from sec schools and JCs (more structured with a time table). They are really taken as 'adults' coz it's literally quite 'free flow' (random) that you might want to think carefully how 'loose' or how 'tight' you want to 'tag' your child coz you know your kiddo best... (I don't 'tag' tight coz I have full confidence of my kiddos that they know their limits).

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KiasuAK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am

Hello all, sorry for this horribly late response. Thank you for your tips/info/advise.

I managed to get a timetable from my son. Communication is tough. Yes, it's a sad situation but I'll keep trying.

Thank you all again.

KiasuAK
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child