How to narrow academic margin between boys and girls

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to narrow academic margin between boys and girls

Postby lchunleo » Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

this is an interesting topic that i had came to realize while in my attempt improve my child especially in the areas of phonics, language skills.

i came to realize that the boys tend to fare poorly (statistically speaking) during their academic years in the primary school as they are less mature, playful and performing poor in language skills. After reading some books, it dawn on me that the physical built up between boys and girls are different where girls are more the language type (statistically speaking) and able to utilize both the right and left hemisphere of the brain compared to the boys.

With the current structure of the academic system it seems disadvantage the boys as they tend to fare poorly in this. The same view had also been voiced out during one of the talk show in Channel news asia where the mother had similar concerns..

what is your views?:D

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to narrow academic margin between boys and girls

Postby ngl2010 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 pm

I thought 2/3 of Geppers are boys?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lchunleo » Sat May 11, 2013 11:21 pm

what is Geppers?

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 pm

GEP students

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lchunleo » Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 am

i am unsure if the large proportion of GEP students are boys correlated to the studies. But i know that in UK and China, there is already discussion on the disparate differences between boys and girls and the intent to have different educational structure for the two sexes. And whatmore, the GEP refers to gifted students but what are those not in the gifted band?

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KimMills » Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes, I agree that the girls tend to fare better than the boys but I did not know about the reason behind it. I just thought that may be since the girls are more hardworking that they fare better. :P Thanks for sharing the info.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 pm

You can read "Why Gender Matters" by Leonard Sax. He discusses the differences in how they see, listen and feel. Parents should hence discipline sons and daughters differently. Teachers should also use different methods to teach boys and girls to excel in areas they don't usually do.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KimMills » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Hey cherrygal, thanks for sharing the information on board. It was a good read and now I know why there is a difference between the sons and the daughters as far as academics are concerned.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child