Share your child's work station/table/corner photos

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Share your child's work station/table/corner photos

Postby clioclio » Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi,
I am just curious how your child's work table/station looks like.

My eldest is going to Primary school soon, and I think it is time to 'upgrade' her to a proper work desk, not the kiddy IKEA table that she shares with her 2 younger siblings.

Just wondering if your kids have their own individual work table, or do they work on the common dining table, or a shared table with other siblings.

If your child has a whole room all to him/herself, how do you organise her room/study room to make it condusive for learning?

If possible, it would be great to upload some of your kid's work table/station/corner photos here! :smile:

A surf through the net shows beautiful work rooms/area in those ang-moh families overseas...but seriously i wonder if its possible to convert a whole bedroom into a inviting learning room without incurring lots of expenses!

:thankyou:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Share your child's work station/table/corner photos

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I believe that it's better to wait and see how your child works best before doing anything. One of my daughters needs peace and quiet without distractions, so she has a desk in her room to work at. My other daughter likes to have people around and doesn't seem to be affected by distractions, so works at the dining table. The most important thing, in my experience, is to make sure there is a space for the child to put books and stationery and that the child makes it a habit to put things away neatly every day so things don't get scattered all over and lost. We make use of things like trays for stationery, baskets for spare paper, magazine boxes for files and a specific space on a bookshelf for school books.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm

clioclio wrote:Hi,
I am just curious how your child's work table/station looks like. ...

I'm curious too. I've long forgotten the color of the top of the table that is buried under tons of scrap paper, exercise and text books, staples, rubber bands, and the occasional magazine here and there.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 23, 2013 5:50 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

I'm curious too. I've long forgotten the color of the top of the table that is buried under tons of scrap paper, exercise and text books, staples, rubber bands, and the occasional magazine here and there.

One of the benefits of having the child work at the dining table is that they are forced to clear up every day or they can't eat!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I believe that it's better to wait and see how your child works best before doing anything. One of my daughters needs peace and quiet without distractions, so she has a desk in her room to work at. My other daughter likes to have people around and doesn't seem to be affected by distractions, so works at the dining table. The most important thing, in my experience, is to make sure there is a space for the child to put books and stationery and that the child makes it a habit to put things away neatly every day so things don't get scattered all over and lost. We make use of things like trays for stationery, baskets for spare paper, magazine boxes for files and a specific space on a bookshelf for school books.

you have a point slmkhoo.
My brother was the study table child. Me , I liked to take the floor. I need lots of books snd sstuff around me when i study and felt constrained by a desk. Dad custom made a small onefeet high table for me to write. :love:
And when I needed to rote learn I prefer open spaces - the balcony was ze best.

oh this had made me nostslgic.

later I post my kids study area.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:44 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:

One of the benefits of having the child work at the dining table is that they are forced to clear up every day or they can't eat!

We also use the dining table as the work station. We prefer to work together after dinner. I crave for company. It motivates me :wink: We keep our books and files separately on book shelves. We try to clear our table before bedtime.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Hahaha agree with the dinning table comment!
We are also doing the same.

Sometimes we will just sit on the sofa to read thru notes or when revising mistakes.
Sometimes may be just sit on floor like old times..

Whatever makes the child comfortable will do. No need to spend money on expensive ergonomic furniture a which may end up not being used..

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby winth » Thu May 23, 2013 11:18 pm

That's an interesting thread.

For us, we have 3 tables side by side in our living room, 1 each for DS 1 and DS 2 and 1 table for our family computer. The objective is that no one hides in their bedroom to 'do work/ study/ secret me time'. All day activities in the living room.

Beside the study tables are shelves of books so the boys have easy access to their books. We have another 2 full shelves of books for leisure reading.
It works well for us and the boys usually spend time at their study tables to do their work or reading on the sofa.

Their tables are quite worn out from pencil scribbles, full of eraser shavings and are decorated with stickers.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Sun May 26, 2013 12:41 am

I 'secretly' love the organised look of those kindergarten classrooms where all colour pencils, magic pens, scissors, etc are put away in identical looking containers and stacked neatly.

I 'secretly' love to admire office stationery supplies full of pens, staple bullets, post it note pads, paper clips etc stacked neatly in the cupboards.

HOW i wish my house is abundant in supplies like those Army store house!
LOL :lol:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Funz » Sun May 26, 2013 9:43 am

clioclio wrote:I 'secretly' love the organised look of those kindergarten classrooms where all colour pencils, magic pens, scissors, etc are put away in identical looking containers and stacked neatly.

I 'secretly' love to admire office stationery supplies full of pens, staple bullets, post it note pads, paper clips etc stacked neatly in the cupboards.

HOW i wish my house is abundant in supplies like those Army store house!
LOL :lol:

Can be done. You just buy in bulk and pack them in your cupboards. :wink:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child