does your child still bed-wet ?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

does your child still bed-wet ?

Postby xvirusga » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:31 pm

hi folks,

i m rather concern about my 8year old boy who still bed-wets till now. any remedies?

xvirusga

xvirusga
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Does your child bed wet

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi
Don't give your child any water before going to bed. Alternatively, if your child drinks milk before bed, ask him to go toilet before he sleeps.

Taka sells water proof mattress protector. Check that out.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Does your child bed wet

Postby xvirusga » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:11 pm

caroline3sg wrote:Hi
Don't give your child any water before going to bed. Alternatively, if your child drinks milk before bed, ask him to go toilet before he sleeps.

Taka sells water proof mattress protector. Check that out.

thanks for reply! :)

well, here's wat i do, i get him up to the toilet at nite around 12midnight before i go to bed, to prevent bed-wetting, but, he still does that after that. haiz.

xvirusga
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jessielu » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:16 pm

I oso face same problem with u :cry:

I try to stop him from drinking after 9pm but sometimes, even with a sip or before going to bed urine, all doesn't help!

His mattress is so stinko :twisted:

jessielu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby juz_me » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:30 pm

I am trying too - my son coming to 6 years old.

I told him that if he continuous no bed wetting for 7 days, I will buy him a Ben 10 toy (his favourite) for him.

I have washing bedsheets and mattress protectors for the past days..
Now, trying to reduce his milk intake at night... see whether it will works?

juz_me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ycted » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:47 pm

juz_me wrote:I am trying too - my son coming to 6 years old.

I told him that if he continuous no bed wetting for 7 days, I will buy him a Ben 10 toy (his favourite) for him.

I have washing bedsheets and mattress protectors for the past days..
Now, trying to reduce his milk intake at night... see whether it will works?

What you have described is Chronic bed-wetting or enuresis in medical terms.

It is actually quite common with 15% of kids over 5 keys old still having this problem

Got this from another website:
"Chronic bed-wetting is thought to be related to (1) a physically and/or neurologically immature bladder and/or (2) a deep sleeping pattern. Apparently these children often sleep so deeply that they are not aware of the message the bladder sends to the brain saying it is full. It is presumed that bed-wetting is an inherited condition. Usually a parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent or other family member(s) will have had the condition. Also, children with attention deficit disorder, learning disabilities or allergies seem to be more likely to be bed-wetters than children in the general population.

Effect of Bed-wetting on the Child and Family: By the first grade, most children are embarrassed by their bed-wetting condition. They tend to withdraw from social activities that require sleeping outside their home. They also often suffer from low self-image. These children's feelings can be greatly affected by the attitudes of their parents, who may feel that their efforts to end the bed-wetting have failed. Parents may also feel frustrated, angry and embarrassed about their children's bed-wetting condition. Parents can help their children reduce negative feelings about their bed-wetting condition and speed up the process of overcoming it, by offering positive support, understanding and encouragement.

Treatment:

First of all, almost all children outgrow their bed-wetting habit. As children mature, their muscles become stronger and their bladder capacity increases. They tend to sleep less deeply and to become more sensitive to messages the bladder sends to the brain.

There are two approaches to treatment:

Medical or Behavioral.

The medical treatment usually consists of the use of one of two drugs:

1. Imipramine

2. Desmopressin acetate

Behavioral treatment is often more effective and certainly is safer than medical treatment. While behavioral treatment may take somewhat longer to show results, the improvement usually continues indefinitely. There are several methods that may be helpful:

Retention Control Training: The child is asked to control urinating during the day by postponing it, first by a few minutes and then by gradually increased amounts of time. This exercise can extend the capacity of the bladder and strengthen the muscle that holds back urination. Parents should always check with a doctor before asking their child to practice retention control.

Night-lifting: This procedure involves waking your child periodically throughout the night, walking your child to the bathroom to urinate, and then returning your child to bed. By teaching your child to awaken and to empty his or her bladder many times during the night, it is hoped that he or she will eventually stay dry.

Moisture alarm: Moisture alarms are considered a useful and successful way to treat bed-wetting. Medical research has shown that moisture alarms have helped many children stay dry. This treatment requires a supportive and helpful family and may take many weeks or even several months to work. Moisture alarms have good long-term success and fewer relapses than medications.

An alarm consists of a clip-on sensor probe that attaches to the outside of bed-clothing. An alarm is set off when the child begins to wet the bed. The alarm wakes the child, who will then go to the bathroom to finish and then go back to sleep. This slowly conditions the brain to respond appropriately during sleep to messages from the bladder."

I would suggest that you try the behavioral approach 1st b4 considering drug therapy (which you have to see a doctor). All medications have possible side effects. should consider only if all else fails.

Hope this helps.

ycted
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:44 pm

My 6 yr old only bedwets once in a while.
We usually avoid water intake an hour before bedtime.
We put a waterproof sheet (cheap kind that the ds2 outgrew :P ) under a blanket and he sleeps on top of that blanket. If he wets it, he is responsible to clean himself up and remove the soiled blanket (to put at the laundry area). Sometimes, he wet himself slightly and did all those and went back to bed. I did not notice it until the next day when I woke up. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Fettuccine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:02 pm

By son does it too. Recently wet twice in a week. He still wets now and then. Every night, he would wake up to go to the bathroom at about 1-2 hours after he turns in. But sometimes accidents do happen. What to do, just have to wait for his bladder to "mature". At one time, my mum got so tired of waking up and clearing the mess, that she let him wear diapers :oops: :oops:

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: does your child still bed-wet ?

Postby smartmummy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi everyone!
My DD2 is 5 yr old.
My daughter stop wetting for one year.One month before,she had wetting for three days.We went to friend's house.The childrens were played tother.She was upset that night.Then she was started to wetting.I knew that and I have read that children get upset then they are wetting.When she was small she always slept with grandma.I had been working for 1.5 years that from her 0.5-2 years.
That time she was wetting three or four times in a night.After my mother went back to our own country (when she was 3),she started to sleep with me and reduced.but not completely stop that her brother always fighting with her and she was started to nursery.I feel that if the children feel very secure then it will stop.I read a book that "Ask supper Nanny".I hope I helped you.
Last edited by smartmummy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: does your child still bed-wet ?

Postby chloecube » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:49 pm

i am not shy to say my DS is still in his XXXL pamper when he went to P1. i tried many methods, from refraining him from drinking water before bed and waking him up in the middle of the night to go toilet. all in vain.
he will start to cry and make a fuss when i wake him up to go to the loo. its really tough to carry him there and make him pee
even when i mangaged to do it, he still pee in bed after 2 -3 hrs later

i am also working and not the sort who can fall asleep right away when i am awake
so it has taken a toll on me, after a month, i gave up
continue with his XXXL pamper

but when he proceed to P2, miracally, he stopped peeing in bed, i didnt do anything at all

so i guess every kids develope differently, so do not worry too much

chloecube
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child