whats your take on "neccessities" of our young gen

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

whats your take on "neccessities" of our young gen

Postby xvirusga » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:36 pm

hi folks,

as we adults are advancing into IT technology and high-tech periperals, what is your take on school children having "neccessities" like PSP, DSlite, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, MP4s, etc, which in my time, were like god-given luxuries instead?

all views are welcome! :D

xvirusga
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: whats your take on "neccessities" of our young

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 pm

xvirusga wrote:hi folks,

as we adults are advancing into IT technology and high-tech periperals, what is your take on school children having "neccessities" like PSP, DSlite, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, MP4s, etc, which in my time, were like god-given luxuries instead?

all views are welcome! :D

We would only be fooling ourselves if we think that we can "shield" our kids from such things. Our children are born-digital. They don't have to learn how to use handphones, operate music players, or even to use the computers. They JUST KNOW. Most times, they learn about them from TV and friends. They were never in a situation where telephones or color TVs were luxury items. So the way they think about technology is very different from the way WE think about technology. To us, those gadgets are just waste-time-toys. To them, those are essential tools that allow them to plug into their world.

The best we can do is to monitor and control their use of the gadgets. Make them earn their right to use the gadgets.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lizawa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 am

They don't have to learn how to use handphones, operate music players, or even to use the computers. They JUST KNOW

Agree totally. In primary schools, they are already exposed to IT Music and IT Art. They use MSN to communicate with friends outside school hours, send emails to teachers and create their own blogs. Technology has become part of their lives already.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby xvirusga » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:56 am

[quote]

yes.. i agree as well. reason i am asking is because i am trying to convince MY mum whom, we are staying with that, these are part and parcel of their lives, and they are in a different era compared to ours, that these are items that bind them into their world. she insists these are bad influence and all while, we, new age parents think otherwise :)

i'm the type of parent who allows the kid to discover new technologies and gadgets but i do downplay to allowing him to play only during the weekends after all homework has been completed. i'll encourage him to play the Wii and also join in the fun and from the event, discover more and learn more about him, which i personally think, is very good bonding time with the kid. you can really observe how the kid reacts, analyze, and solves problems during the games, and you could probably teach them how to think out of the box at times as well. at times, the kid can teach you a thing or two as well.

well, having said so, i am definitely still struggling on how to convince my old folks at home otherwise.:) while maintaining the peace and harmony at home.

xvirusga
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lizawa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am

yes, really need to control the amount of time they spent on such gadgets. Not only bad for the eyesight, but may affect their social life as well.

But just a feel of what the primary school kids are expected to know in the area of IT. A question from the school's IT quiz :

The following is the standard keyboard layout used in Singapore.
(picture of keyboard layout)

What is the name of this layout of letters?

A DVORAK
B WYSIWYG
C ASDFG
D QWERTY

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby wwcookie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 pm

What??? I never knew keyboard layouts have names too :shock: My guess would be QWERTY?

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby EN » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Kids as young as primary one learn how to access internet, login into their school website & submit their homework online. They learn how to create folders & save their project in thumb drive.

My kids learn how to use webcam when I was away from home for long so we can chat & see each other live.

Gadgets are not necessarily bad if we know how to manage the kids usage.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby workingmom » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:51 am

Over the weekend a friend lent us his Wii and my 2 girls (6 and 5) were thrilled to try the sports games. We don't currently have any of the PSP, DS or Wii type games at home but the Wii so far looks very fun and easy to play for younger kids.

Just wondering if we were to buy one, how do parents with such games control access or use such games to incentive their children (to work harder etc) - would appreciate some tips please.

Mommy very kiasu here and concerned that once we buy one...its a slippery slope....worried about them getting very addicted to it and not doing their work, practising their piano etc :roll:

workingmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hmsg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:16 pm

lizawa wrote:yes, really need to control the amount of time they spent on such gadgets. Not only bad for the eyesight, but may affect their social life as well.

But just a feel of what the primary school kids are expected to know in the area of IT. A question from the school's IT quiz :

The following is the standard keyboard layout used in Singapore.
(picture of keyboard layout)

What is the name of this layout of letters?

A DVORAK
B WYSIWYG
C ASDFG
D QWERTY

Your picture can't open.... but that should be a QWERTY layout... based on the top row of alphabets....

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hmsg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 pm

workingmom wrote:Over the weekend a friend lent us his Wii and my 2 girls (6 and 5) were thrilled to try the sports games. We don't currently have any of the PSP, DS or Wii type games at home but the Wii so far looks very fun and easy to play for younger kids.

Just wondering if we were to buy one, how do parents with such games control access or use such games to incentive their children (to work harder etc) - would appreciate some tips please.

Mommy very kiasu here and concerned that once we buy one...its a slippery slope....worried about them getting very addicted to it and not doing their work, practising their piano etc :roll:

Limit their playing time... like 30 mins quota per day during weekends! Don't just set it up and leave it there... keep everything when not in used... out of sight is always better....

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child