Eastern vs Western Parenting Philosophy

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Eastern vs Western Parenting Philosophy

Postby insider » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:18 pm

This video of 1 hour plus is very worth watching coz most of us are trapped between our Chinese roots vs Western influence.

There are many episodes in this series and this is one which I find meaningful for reflections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQvHqhQCu4

My lament is still our kids' (my sons included) Chinese standard is too low to really be able to understand the messages behind the sharings.

弟子规 is another example of what Adam Khoo can do, that after watching, maybe 1 in 1000 or 5000 can really benefit...

The below also not bad (about children who are over-provided, over-protected, spoilt, rebellious children, etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU59pKUF2bI

Reflection: 好人是教出来的,畜生也是教出来的。

Can watch the above when you have nothing to do and see how much you can share with your own children and ask for their reflections after watching. Other similar episodes also quite nice (the underlying strong message of 感召、报应 - something that I strongly believe in, that we will always reap what we sow and therefore we should never throw away our 性本善 and have to cultivate the same in our children...).

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Eastern vs Western Parenting Philosophy

Postby concern2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks for sharing, Insider! 看了 获益不浅!
:thankyou:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks for sharing, Insider! 看了 获益不浅!
:thankyou:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 pm

concern2 wrote:Thanks for sharing, Insider! 看了 获益不浅!

Glad that you like it.

Have these internalised in yourself and your children will be under your great blessings to be good. The 'energy' and '磁场' that I ever talked about are also related to this 'Newton Theory':

About $$$. Never make a single cent that is not supposed to be in one's pocket then one will be safe from all kinds of 凶财凶出:

福祸无门,唯人自招.......

Best Wishes to you......

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I watched and :cry:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:I watched and :cry:

Me too, SAHM, but hor, when I reached the end, I couldn't help being amazed at how he is able to cry and be so touching in all his speeches. :laugh: But still, :salute:

Made DS watch. DD still can't understand what's going on. :roll: I want to show her the most, cos she's starting to get really disrespectful towards us. Anyway, I've also bought 弟子规 and downloading some videos for kids and myself.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 am

concern2 wrote:

Me too, SAHM, but hor, when I reached the end, I couldn't help being amazed at how he is able to cry and be so touching in all his speeches. :laugh: But still, :salute:

Made DS watch. DD still can't understand what's going on. :roll: I want to show her the most, cos she's starting to get really disrespectful towards us. Anyway, I've also bought 弟子规 and downloading some videos for kids and myself.

The delivery is a bit like those cultural revolution styles.......I watched too much TV too when I was young heehee. But the elements of truth are there. There are so many simple truths in the di zi gui. Many are common sense too.

dd1 is reading the edition of di zi gui given by her school. Usually we hold hands when it's just the 2 of us. One day, she told me to walk infront of her and I did not understand why. In the 2nd video, there's a part on elders first.......then the pebble drops. I'm not sure if her request is the correct interpretation though :rotflmao: I must read her di zi gui too heehee to educate myself.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:
concern2 wrote:

The delivery is a bit like those cultural revolution styles.......I watched too much TV too when I was young heehee. But the elements of truth are there. There are so many simple truths in the di zi gui. Many are common sense too.

dd1 is reading the edition of di zi gui given by her school. Usually we hold hands when it's just the 2 of us. One day, she told me to walk infront of her and I did not understand why. In the 2nd video, there's a part on elders first.......then the pebble drops. I'm not sure if her request is the correct interpretation though :rotflmao: I must read her di zi gui too heehee to educate myself.

:lol: So nice! I wish my kids' school also teaches 弟子规! Can share which title your kid is using in school? I bought the comic 哥妹俩 version for them as DS likes the series. It feels weird for me to try and tell them they should respect their parents. So if schools can teach, we can reinforce all these messages. For some reason, when schools do reinforce all the things on character building that is being taught at home, it is more effective. In school, they will say, "我妈妈也是这么说" ; at home, they say, "我的老师也是这么说“。 Perhaps it is a need to feel accepted by a bigger majority that convinces them on what is right. :shrug: When such values are well driven in, they are less likely to be swayed by peers, I feel.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kjkjoni » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:48 am

concern2 wrote: :lol: So nice! I wish my kids' school also teaches 弟子规! Can share which title your kid is using in school? I bought the comic 哥妹俩 version for them as DS likes the series. It feels weird for me to try and tell them they should respect their parents. So if schools can teach, we can reinforce all these messages. For some reason, when schools do reinforce all the things on character building that is being taught at home, it is more effective. In school, they will say, "我妈妈也是这么说" ; at home, they say, "我的老师也是这么说“。 Perhaps it is a need to feel accepted by a bigger majority that convinces them on what is right. :shrug: When such values are well driven in, they are less likely to be swayed by peers, I feel.

Core values should start from home & by example.

kjkjoni
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 am

kjkjoni wrote:
concern2 wrote: :lol: So nice! I wish my kids' school also teaches 弟子规! Can share which title your kid is using in school? I bought the comic 哥妹俩 version for them as DS likes the series. It feels weird for me to try and tell them they should respect their parents. So if schools can teach, we can reinforce all these messages. For some reason, when schools do reinforce all the things on character building that is being taught at home, it is more effective. In school, they will say, "我妈妈也是这么说" ; at home, they say, "我的老师也是这么说“。 Perhaps it is a need to feel accepted by a bigger majority that convinces them on what is right. :shrug: When such values are well driven in, they are less likely to be swayed by peers, I feel.

Core values should start from home & by example.

Yes, not dismissing this need.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child