Parenting Books

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Parenting Books

Postby fussyMummy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Original Title: Books for How to be a Good Mummy / Daddy

Hi All,

Just want to know is there any daddy / mummy search and read those books regarding "parenting" ?

I do, but my friends said I am super kiasu... is that so? :roll:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:26 pm

You're not. I read and bought many parenting books too when I had DD1 some years back. Since I did most of the sourcing and reading, I would only recommend certain books or techniques to DH if I thought they were worth trying out. The best way is to know your child well enough first so that you can apply the most appropriate techniques. In this way, you spend less time on trial-and-error. Now that I'm expecting DD2, I will probably refresh my memory by re-reading the books that I have. We do expect DD2 to be different from DD1 so we'll have to observe and go the trial-and-error route until we understand her better.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy of 2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I do too. And I don't think it's being kiasu. After all we study for so many years to be employable. Surely you need more preparation to be a good parent, right? Since there are no courses for parenting, we have to turn to books, internet, tap on the experience of other parents. This is called being prepared :D

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm

I only started reading when DS2 is 1+ and DS1 3+, and totally regretted not starting earlier. So many mistakes could have been avoided...luckily, it's still not too late. From time to time, I have to remind myself on what I had read so as not to go back to the same route.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Books for How to be a Good Mummy / Daddy

Postby winth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:36 pm

fussyMummy wrote:Hi All,

Just want to know is there any daddy / mummy search and read those books regarding "parenting" ?

Nope, you are not super kiasu. It's called 'acquisition of parenting knowledge' before venturing into the 'unknown - your child'.

I don't read parenting books lar, most are acquired via website and articles. The parenting books kinda bore me so I prefer to go through Internet for summarised articles and research papers.

Your friends are singles or newly married with no children yet izzit? They dunno what is called 'die' only until they've reached that stage. I have loads of friends who dunno what I was doing then until they've experienced it themselves. So, if they dun understand your frequency and what you're preparing for, just be geared up for laughing session when it's their turn lor. :lol: (kidding la, just try to tell them lor, if they still dun understand, just take it easy but don't doubt yourself)

Up till now, DH and I are still sharing articles (from various sources) on how to be good spouses and good parents.

Don't be discouraged for pre-preparing for the future. You will be rewarded in multiple folds later.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Nothing's wrong . . I read them too, especially on long flights. How else do you improve ?? :D

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Parenting Resources

Postby buds » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I hoard loads of parenting books and teaching children books
till TODAY! So your answer to the 1st question is YES, YES, YES! :wink:

Your friends, are they married?
Got kids? :|

buds got a whole closet-ful of
em' goodies... good for any
time of the day reference and
ideas... on top of the wealth on
the internet. :wink:

So, like how Michael Jackson wud
have said/sang it... You are not
aloooone... buds is here with you..

Uhm... wait a minute... :idea: If you
are already termed super kiasu, then
what does that make me? :| Kiasu queen?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Parenting Resources

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:34 pm

buds wrote: :| Kiasu queen?

Kiasu Empress Dowager? :siam:

Anyway, nothing kiasu about wanting to be effective parents. To be conscious and conscientious cannot go very wrong.
No doubt at the end of the day, parenting is indeed trial and error as each child is different, the development milestones are vastly different too but still good to know some broad theories.....

Btw, kiasuparents forum has a wealth of knowledge on kids raising and you get all the best KS tips here, not kidding hor. :D

Personally I only read "What to expect in the first year" in a book form(that was a gift), all the rest via Internet, reason being parenting tips also move with times, can expire or new knowledge added... For example, how to deal with H1N1...this is latest and greatest....how to find in books? :lol:

Re: Parenting Resources

Postby buds » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 pm

ks2me wrote:Kiasu Empress Dowager? :siam:

Wah seh!! :!:

:rotflmao:

Niwae, you said it all in a nutshell ks2me.
I couldn't have said it better. :salute:

I agree with all you've mentioned! :celebrate:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Books for How to be a Good Mummy / Daddy

Postby mintcc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:42 pm

no lah, not super kiasu lah...I read those too...must read other wise I totally clueless about lots of things leh... may be we can start shaing our books...may be one day can have book swap :idea:

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child