Parental Control For Smartphone

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Parental Control For Smartphone

Postby CaringBear » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 am

Hi folks, I am looking for an app or telco service provider that let me restrict data usage from midnight until 6am. Any suggestions?

CaringBear
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Parental Control For Smartphone

Postby coolbreeze » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Why don't you power off and 'safe keep' the smartphone during these hours?

coolbreeze
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby flametree » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Dear parents,

Recently, I requested my 13 yr old son to install a phone usage app. Every end of day, he will send me the usage report that day. After collecting data for one month, realised on the average he uses 2hrs per day on social media like WhatsApp, instalgram and telegram. Of course there were days when he hit 5 hrs on social media ( especially weekends).

I want to find out how much time does your kid spend on social media per day? What is the norm For a Sec 1 kid that just started having a smartphone at beginning of the year. Appreciate your sharing.

flametree
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 pm

once a kid get addicted to smart phone, very hard to come out

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:44 pm

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:55 pm

flametree wrote:Dear parents,

Recently, I requested my 13 yr old son to install a phone usage app. Every end of day, he will send me the usage report that day. After collecting data for one month, realised on the average he uses 2hrs per day on social media like WhatsApp, instalgram and telegram. Of course there were days when he hit 5 hrs on social media ( especially weekends).

I want to find out how much time does your kid spend on social media per day? What is the norm For a Sec 1 kid that just started having a smartphone at beginning of the year. Appreciate your sharing.

which app is this for iphones?
nowadays all sch comm are via wats app - class, cca, extra role comm(eg prefect/student leaders) , pri sch alumni ; church youth etc

i am always added into work comm grp too in office - i totally dislike it .
muted most grps

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby flametree » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Mypillow,

The app is actually an Android app that isn't avail on iPhone. Just google phone usage app.

And precisely like what you said, lots of school WhatsApp .. class committee, CCA, council, project groups, ex primary school friends etc. And my son is a very sociable kid....

So like all things, I am trying to strike a balance...I don't want to be unreasonable coz peers are very impt to him at this age so he definitely doesn't want to miss out whether is it impt info or just keeping up with them. At the same time, I know the dangers of phone addiction and have witnessed friends' kids suffering from it.

Kindly share rough estimate how much time your lower sec kids spend on social media a day if you have the info. Thanks

flametree
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lag » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:30 pm

flametree wrote:Mypillow,

The app is actually an Android app that isn't avail on iPhone. Just google phone usage app.

And precisely like what you said, lots of school WhatsApp .. class committee, CCA, council, project groups, ex primary school friends etc. And my son is a very sociable kid....

So like all things, I am trying to strike a balance...I don't want to be unreasonable coz peers are very impt to him at this age so he definitely doesn't want to miss out whether is it impt info or just keeping up with them. At the same time, I know the dangers of phone addiction and have witnessed friends' kids suffering from it.

Kindly share rough estimate how much time your lower sec kids spend on social media a day if you have the info. Thanks

I cannot find this app. Anyone has better luck?
I try to restrict the usage of smart phone to 1hr per day during wkday.
Wknd more relax. He can use up to 2~3 hrs daily.
Seriously i dont understand why school like to pass msg via whatapps..

lag
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nurturingnature » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:54 pm

There are quite a few apps such as Dinner Time or Cold Turkey where you can restrict the phone usage. Dinner Time can be in fact controlled from your phone as parents. However, for long time solution, you need them to build habits.
I usually recommend my students to use the Forest app and it is not only effective but they also enjoy it. It helps them to focus on their work and spend less time on their smart phones!

nurturingnature
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child