How to bring up ambitious children??

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to bring up ambitious children??

Postby pawcindy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 am

How to bring up ambitious children from a wealthy family?? how to make them study for themselves?? I used to do all these for myself when i was young because my parents were not rich..now i dunno how to make my children to be more ambitious and dun depends on the family?

pawcindy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: How to bring up ambitious children??

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:07 am

pawcindy wrote:How to bring up ambitious children from a wealthy family?? how to make them study for themselves?? I used to do all these for myself when i was young because my parents were not rich..now i dunno how to make my children to be more ambitious and dun depends on the family?

The roots of ambition is found upon the soil of desire. You want something you don't have. It can be physical needs, or recognition, or power. You are therefore inspired to think of ways to get what you want. You thus have ambition to acquire what you lack.

Our children today are in general well-fed, well-educated, and well-entertained. They don't lack anything, other than time to play and do the stuff they enjoy doing. The only road to building ambition for them is to feed on their sense of self-respect, that they are supposed to at least maintain their current standard of living or achieve even more than their parents. It's hard to push this agenda, when they believe they can always depend on us parents whenever they are in need.

This is the reason why hungrier kids will always be more driven than well-fed kids, who already have everything that the hungry kids are aspiring to have.

Perhaps we should have a programme to make our kids to go through some kind of hardship to remind them that life is not always so rosy. NS for kids, anyone :-) ?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby buds » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 am

Fasting try-outs in NS-Kids perhaps.. :idea:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 am

Here's one tip : Ambitious parents tend to breed ambitious children la! :wink:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 am

NS for kids, anyone ?

I invited friends and relatives to my place to chill out recently. Scrambling to keep the house spic and span, told my kids what they need to do. My first guest arrived and it's my parents. My parents were early and my father saw that I was flustered scrambling all over that he decided to step in to help. He walked over to my dd's room and started to :rant: He being a retired army officer, just gave orders and told her how the stand by bed was carried out. Since she is his precious grand daughter, he did it mildly. Half an hour later, I took a peek in dd's room. Woww!!! So spic and span.

Anyway, kids with golden spoon, it's quite difficult to motivate them to work harder. The very reason why I'm maidless. Told them if they dont study hard, they might not earn enough to pay for the maid, a car, a decent place to leave, nice holidays, good food to eat. Wealth does not last and whatever mummy and daddy have, it's meant for our retirement.

It scares ds but dd I still need to work on her further.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:49 am

Talking about NS for kid, nowadays all P5 students would go for camping at Serambun camp (I hope I spell correctly) and in Secondary School, they have different types of camping for different level. Usually, they would still feel that home is still the best. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

I told my daughther about Afican and poor kids

Postby pawcindy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:06 pm

I just want her to know she is lucky to have a good life and do not waste so i showed her African kids on youtube and brought her with me to sign up adopting 20 kids per months program. She is a very mature 2 years old girl. This is just to teach her to value her life and money. Cant really think of what to do to make sure she is ambitious. i dun want her to have bad sport attitude. it is hard.

pawcindy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:04 am

Hi EN

you are so right about the kids these days.

My DD same thing.Told her numerous of time, she has to depend on herself in the future, and we cannot be providing her for the rest of her life,but she never seems to understand.

I have seen many kids who struggled a bit in life, are a better person.

Rgds

EN wrote:
NS for kids, anyone ?

I invited friends and relatives to my place to chill out recently. Scrambling to keep the house spic and span, told my kids what they need to do. My first guest arrived and it's my parents. My parents were early and my father saw that I was flustered scrambling all over that he decided to step in to help. He walked over to my dd's room and started to :rant: He being a retired army officer, just gave orders and told her how the stand by bed was carried out. Since she is his precious grand daughter, he did it mildly. Half an hour later, I took a peek in dd's room. Woww!!! So spic and span.

Anyway, kids with golden spoon, it's quite difficult to motivate them to work harder. The very reason why I'm maidless. Told them if they dont study hard, they might not earn enough to pay for the maid, a car, a decent place to leave, nice holidays, good food to eat. Wealth does not last and whatever mummy and daddy have, it's meant for our retirement.

It scares ds but dd I still need to work on her further.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Don't provide them with everything even if you can afford it. Pretend you can't.
Ask them to work hard now & one day they can afford it themselves.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Personally, I read ambition is as a desire to achieve something, doesn't necessary have to be wealth or financial well being.

There is so much one can aspire to achieve other than wealth and career. e.g. finding a cure for cancer, inventing something to make life better for others, helping people with their health, finance, changing the world etc. etc.

In order to do any of the above, one have to gain knowledge and skills and therefore it is necessary to study and better oneself as money alone can not help one achieve such aspiration/ambition. So I suppose if one try to instil non money related ambition in the child, whether a family is wealthy or not will not be that relevant.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child