Parents shouldn't oursource responsibility to childcares?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Parents shouldn't oursource responsibility to childcares?

Postby Happymummy22 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Came across Miyagi's (daddy) post about my first skool. He mentioned that parents should be more active in kids' upbringing and help improve childcare/preschool sectors...

Mummies and daddies..what do you all think?

A Word On The My First Skool Incident

on August 17, 2013 · 9 Comments · in Parenting

I’m always struck by how much we del­e­gate our per­sonal lives to other peo­ple. The other day com­ing home on the Bin­tan Resorts Ferry, a fam­ily sat in the rows ahead of us. There were the par­ents, the two chil­dren and two for­eign domes­tic workers.

The younger of the two chil­dren was prob­a­bly under two and cute as a but­ton, play­ing and drool­ing while he was fed a snack. The older child was around six and a real brat — mak­ing faces at and speak­ing to the helpers in a com­pletely dis­re­spect­ful manner.

I think she had asked to have a ferry hot­dog and the helper had said some­thing to the effect that she’d be too full for din­ner, and she’d sulked and asked her father who assented and went to get the hot­dog for her instead.

Last month I wrote lyrics to a silly song that included the line, “Need tuition to make the grade; child is stu­pid blame the maid” and it couldn’t be truer. We seem to have com­pletely abdi­cated our respon­si­bil­ity for our children’s upbring­ing to other people.

I’ve some­times been guilty of for­get­ting to check on Kai (ok he’s only 4) and his read­ing home­work, and last week even for­got he had a pre-school pre­sen­ta­tion (a mini-concert last­ing 20 min­utes, but if you miss it you have to face last­ing con­se­quences) and was only reminded early on the morn­ing of his pre­sen­ta­tion when he told me to be early.

We leave Kai to our helper’s care for sev­eral hours a day some weeks when I’m really busy, or when Naomi’s not well. Then we find we have to cor­rect Kai’s gram­mar and speech because our helper’s Burmese tinted Eng­lish some­time nosso good.

That’s when we realise we have to take charge if we want our kids to grow up the way we want them to. Every per­son we engage to care for Kai has to be able to work with us to ensure he gets the right kind of care and guid­ance. We have been tak­ing some time to talk to Kai’s teach­ers and ask about his progress in school regard­ing his social skills (our pri­or­ity), and it’s been reap­ing a ton of benefits.

There’s been some chat about whether NTUC First Cam­pus has addressed the issues atten­dant to the part-time caregiver’s sack­ing from their preschool, but I have to say again that par­ents, espe­cially in Sin­ga­pore, need to be more active in their kids’ upbring­ing, and help the childcare/preschool sec­tor improve.

There is no excuse for the type of behav­iour exhib­ited by the part-time staff at that par­tic­u­lar pre-school, but I would like to high­light that NTUC First Cam­pus, like many of the other NTUC affil­i­ates, are co-operatives, which means that their aim is to get out there to do good.

First Cam­pus itself works with gov­ern­men­tal agen­cies and NGOs to reach out to less priv­i­leged fam­i­lies — there are child­care places reserved for low-income fam­i­lies. There was a case sev­eral years ago of a 16 month old boy who was lag­ging devel­op­men­tally because of mal­nour­ish­ment and a home envi­ron­ment you’d recog­nise as not ideal — his only par­ent, his mother, was serv­ing a prison sen­tence, and his sole care­giver had been his grand­mother, who had to leave the house to work daily.

First Cam­pus made two excep­tional deci­sions — the child was accepted into a My First Skool Cen­tre even though he was two months under the min­i­mum age; the child was accepted with­out a fee. The staff at that Cen­tre also reached out to the child’s grand­mother with tips on how to con­tribute to the boy’s development.

The boy at issue is now almost ten and doing well in pri­mary school.

There are no leaked YouTube videos to show, by mak­ing the deci­sions they did for this boy, how shock­ingly good the care­givers at that cen­tre have been. And this is quite unfortunate.

- Miyagi ( ... -incident/)

Return to Working With Your Child