Seek help for primary 4 slow learner

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Seek help for primary 4 slow learner

Postby joskelpw » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi All

Seeking help whether any parent able to recommend private tutor to teach my girl. Basically , she has been struggling her work since P1 . Despite any tuition centre that I put her in , it seem really help her much . I am really at wits end. Sincerely someone here can help me to guide me with some sound advice on how to move forward

thanks

joskelpw
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Seek help for primary 4 slow learner

Postby jedamum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:50 am

Did she revise her tuition work promptly?
Tuition once a week reap very little benefit if no follow up at home.
Are you able to pin point her weaknesses?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wenlin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi
Where are you residing? I am an experienced tutor for
English for primary school students. I teach at my place in eunos/
Still road vicinity. You may want to PM me to discuss further.

Thanks.

wenlin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Han Seo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Did you find out from her teachers, and also from your own analysis, what is the root cause of the problem? Weak foundation? Poor motivation? Time management? Have you also spoken to your child?

Since this problem has been around since P1, it is probably a combination of many factors. Sending her from tuition to tuition without knowing what the root cause is is not going to help. When a student lags behind, often the emotional side is affected as well and this often leads to a vicious cycle. Why not speak to her teachers, find out where the problems lie, and then plan for the next step?

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nicnac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Does she hv reading problem?
My dd's classmate is doing badly in eng and math... sent for assessment. She has reading problem..dyslexia, thus affecting her math cos she cant comprehend the questions.. no problem doing when the sum is read to her..

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joskelpw » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 pm

yes , my dau did diagnoise as dyslexia thus making her disadvantage in catching up her work in school . Hence , I am seriously need some guidance on how to move forward

joskelpw
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nicnac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:28 am

If she has dyslexia, then there should be some program to help her overcome her reading difficulties.

There is no use giving tuition and more tuition because she is not going to benefit from them. Her inability to discipher what she reads is hindering her studies... She is probably not a slow learner. Send her for professional help to overcome her reading problem.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Han Seo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:55 pm

The school should have some programmes or refer you to a programme for dyslexic children. There is also the Dyslexia Association of Singapore: www.das.org.sg

I am surprise that your child has not been given any help in school, given the fact that there are now Learning Support teachers in every primary school.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phtthp » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 pm

learning support (LSP) only for lower primary P1, P2.
P4 don't have LSP.
Some schools may offer re-medial lessons, but not all schools.

since child is dyslexic related, should engage professional help, solve the fundamental reading problem first.
Once can overcome reading -
test if child able to read Maths questions, interpret and solve them ?
first, ask child to read aloud the Maths question.
can she read out the question first ?

if child can read, can understand, can interpret qn, can solve - problem solved.

But if child can read aloud the question but still can't solve, then is related to ability to understand, ability to interpret, analyze & applying the Maths concepts behind. Is not reading issue.

Have you sent child ever to a Teacher trained in teaching dyslexic kids ?
if this Teacher no good, change to another better one.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Han Seo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:46 pm

What I mean is that the child should have been given help way back in P1 and P2. The Learning Support programme serves to do that. You should look for a teacher trained in helping dyslexic children.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child