How to work with lazy children

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to work with lazy children

Postby gancheongmum » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:13 pm

Original Title: what do you do with lazy kid?

my gal is 5yo this yr. recently, i'm at witend in handling her esp when it comes to her homework & spellings. she will come out with all sorts of excuses like:" i'm tired can i do it later?" "tomorrow can?" "i want to sleep first" etc etc to avoid learning her spelling, ting xie & homework. She will wait until the very last second before I come home & start to rush thru her work. Her teacher usually will tell them the answers to the homwork in class but when she brought her work back, she will say i dunno, i cant remember. I tried both hard & soft methods, reward methods on her but dont seem to work. recently, i jux caned her for telling lies,her ting xie had got 2 wrong but she told me she got it all correct! Part of the reason to cane her was i'm really frustrated to teach her, cos she will not concentrate on wat i'm trying to tell/teach her, she will keep fidgetting. SHe knows the answer but just refuses to tell you the correct answer...
How to cure her lazybones??? Can anyone pls help :cry:

gancheongmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jesschan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi! Maybe you can try to set up a a routine where your daughter needs to learn her spelling or whatever. But try to keep each learning session fun and short initially because many kids have fairly short attention span at this age. Set bite-sized targets and praise her whenever she achieves the targets. Be patient - this is part of growing up.....

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby gancheongmum » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 pm

i've tried to set a routine but it seems fairly difficult because every alternate days she will have homework. sigh... i must admit these days her spelling & ting xie are quite tough. i jux hope she could be more proactive in doing her work. She jux enjoy lazing around without doing any of her work just like a couch potato...

gancheongmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby amylqf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:01 am

agree that it is tough to create a routine for the child.

Most of children doesn't like to do homework. I suppose that is the nature of the child. "Playing".
If there are such children that want to explore and study hard from the bottom of their heart (self-motivation), the child might have higher chance of getting into GEP class.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: what do you do with lazy kid?

Postby GreenQ » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:07 am

gancheongmum wrote:my gal is 5yo this yr. recently, i'm at witend in handling her esp when it comes to her homework & spellings. she will come out with all sorts of excuses like:" i'm tired can i do it later?" "tomorrow can?" "i want to sleep first" etc etc to avoid learning her spelling, ting xie & homework. She will wait until the very last second before I come home & start to rush thru her work. Her teacher usually will tell them the answers to the homwork in class but when she brought her work back, she will say i dunno, i cant remember. I tried both hard & soft methods, reward methods on her but dont seem to work. recently, i jux caned her for telling lies,her ting xie had got 2 wrong but she told me she got it all correct! Part of the reason to cane her was i'm really frustrated to teach her, cos she will not concentrate on wat i'm trying to tell/teach her, she will keep fidgetting. SHe knows the answer but just refuses to tell you the correct answer...
How to cure her lazybones??? Can anyone pls help :cry:

Hi gancheongmum,

My suggestions:
1/ Coach her and accompany her when she does her homework for EVERY questions in her worksheets. Try not to let her do her homework alone. She may feel bad to see other family members are so relax with their activities. Other family members may have to sacrifice their activities when she is doing her homework.

2/ Try to ask her to do her homework before she got chance to play around everyday. I think may be she is not lazy. She just unable to concentrate because her mind is in 'playing mode' when she is asked to do her homework.

I found that this is an very effective way for my kids. Before I set this rule, they tend to have short attention span when I asked them to do homework. They chat, giggled and took long time to finish their homework! :x After implementing this rule, I can see big improvement. I think it is a good habit too. They will take out their homework fr kindergarden after their lunch. They know well that no fun activities for them without finishing homework. They can focus on their homework much better too.

3/ Try to let her have more outdoor activities or execises. I believe it helps her to have clearer mind when she does her homework.

Hope it helps...

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mummy_Tang » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi,

i agreed with the Kiasu parents here, you have to start a routine, every single day..... including sat and sun!!! that's what happening to my 5yr old tooe.... after that they will be used to it and it will be easier.... I know its TOUGH but hang on!!! now my 5yo knows that no homework, no practice of tingxie = no play,no tv..... sometimes he will even asked, hey mummy, today no need to do work??? hahhaha

so JIA YOU!!!

Mummy_Tang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gancheongmum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm

hi mummies
thks for all the advice.
right now, i banned her from watching her fav cartoons during wkdays cos when she get started on her cartoons, her eyes will be stuck on the tv. Last sat, I told my gal, you have to finish up certain work today, then for the whole of sun, you can relax & watch yr cartoons.. it works on her. :wink: surprisely, ysterday her phonic teacher also praised her for being able to blend her words & read out! so happy :lol:

gancheongmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Working With Your Child