How you cope as a working mom?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How you cope as a working mom?

Postby Reenie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 pm

dear mummies out there,

the reason why i started this thread is to understand how a full time working mom is able to cope between a full time job (assuming from 9am-6pm, not working from home type nor flexi hours) and her after work demands.

i believed a number of mummies here are working, so i would really appreciate if you can feedback on the below.

1. As a working mom, how do you spend your time doing revision with your kids? especially if they are in primary school level..evening hours? weekends?

2. Do you find it mentally/phyiscally tired after working hours to cope with revision or home work check?

Thanks!

Reenie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How you cope as a working mom?

Postby jjxy mum » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Reenie wrote:dear mummies out there,

the reason why i started this thread is to understand how a full time working mom is able to cope between a full time job (assuming from 9am-6pm, not working from home type nor flexi hours) and her after work demands.

i believed a number of mummies here are working, so i would really appreciate if you can feedback on the below.

1. As a working mom, how do you spend your time doing revision with your kids? especially if they are in primary school level..evening hours? weekends?

2. Do you find it mentally/phyiscally tired after working hours to cope with revision or home work check?

Thanks!

1. I do not have a schedule for revision, dc will come to me when they have questions on their work. I will ask them to do some worksheet when closer to exam periods. ( which I think is not right) :(

2. Always feel tired, not much energy to coach. I did try afew times, but dc couldn't concentrate much at those hours..

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 33mama » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:17 pm

same here. i do not have a schedule for revision. I "expect" them to be independent (though they are not some of the times). :rant:
they will come to me in the evening if they have any questions.

Working keeps my sanity though...

I take leave to revise with them before exams or during holidays.

Most importantly, I told them, if you have any questions that you do not know how to do, learn from friends, ask teachers. :lol:

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TravelMummy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Yep, very hard to set a schedule as you cannot be around to monitor. I rarely finish work by 6pm and often travel. I guess the kids just learn to be independent from a young age and take responsibility for their own work. I don't check their bags for work done or tests although I always buy the top school exam papers and train them to mark these themselves. I do advise them on how to better plan their time in order to improve themselves and make sure they are engaged seriously in a sport so they are fit and healthy. Am a strong believer of healthy body= healthy mind. And trust that the kids do want to excel on their own and be at hand to counsel and analyse what can be improved when they underperform. Afterall, the spirit of kiasuism is prevalent amongst kids as well, not just parents! They may not always score straight As in every subject, but over time, they do improve and build upon what they learn and build character. To me, thats the true essence of learning. Important thing is not to get too hung up on marks but encourage true independent learning. Your DC will be in a good place if you teach him/her to fish rather than keep feeding him fishes. And since you work, it creates the perfect opportunity. Good luck!

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SpartanMum » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 am

TravelMummy wrote:Yep, very hard to set a schedule as you cannot be around to monitor. I rarely finish work by 6pm and often travel. I guess the kids just learn to be independent from a young age and take responsibility for their own work. I don't check their bags for work done or tests although I always buy the top school exam papers and train them to mark these themselves. I do advise them on how to better plan their time in order to improve themselves and make sure they are engaged seriously in a sport so they are fit and healthy. Am a strong believer of healthy body= healthy mind. And trust that the kids do want to excel on their own and be at hand to counsel and analyse what can be improved when they underperform. Afterall, the spirit of kiasuism is prevalent amongst kids as well, not just parents! They may not always score straight As in every subject, but over time, they do improve and build upon what they learn and build character. To me, thats the true essence of learning. Important thing is not to get too hung up on marks but encourage true independent learning. Your DC will be in a good place if you teach him/her to fish rather than keep feeding him fishes. And since you work, it creates the perfect opportunity. Good luck!

:goodpost: TravelMummy. That's a very healthy outlook to have!
I used to work full time too and I kinda work full time now because I take on additional assignments on my off days ( I work part time now) because the work involved is very enriching for me. DS2 has no tution while DS1 has tuition for half of his subjects. While I don't check their bags or their school timetables, I do help them with their work, especially exam revision. Must admit it is taking its toll on me....I am exhausted! DS1 is in P5 and I can't believe how hard it is.
Next year,it is our family's first PSLE... I will cut back on the assignments I take on but still continue my part time work; I will also add in tuition for half of DD2's subjects...so that's how I will cope. I realise that going part-time or taking leave is not an option for everyone. However, I think the important thing is to feel happy with whatever decision we make, don't regret and don't look back! Good Luck to all working mummies :rahrah:

SpartanMum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ScaredyMum » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:04 am

I works full time and used to coach them myself for all subjects. But as DS1 moved up to P5 and DS2 moved up to P3, i realised i could not cope with holding a full time job as well as a tutor for 2 kids!

Not only did was it exhausting for me, it strained relationships when i got more & more stressed out. Finally, I "outsourced" e tuition and all our stress level went down tremendously. Relationships improved too and I will only focus on certain areas that are weaker or requested by tutor to put in extra effort.

I dun give them much schedule to follow, they know they have to complete school and tuition homework daily but they do forget or missed out at times. And I take leave during exam period not so much to coach as lost touch on their progress after tutor took over, but more to ensure they follow up on their revision and not waste too much time.

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 am

Though I have the luxury of a rather flexible working hours, I do not routinely coach kiddos in their studies. I will test them their spelling and tingxie but by P3 they are on their own. In fact DS is in P2 now and he is pretty much on his own.

They know they have to complete their school work first before anything else. Every week I will pull out some assessments or revision papers for them and they will complete those through the week. DD will mark those on her own and come to me if there are any questions, for DS I will usually go through them on Saturday mornings and explain to him those that he is unable to do.

So far no tuition except for Chinese cos that is 1 subject that I will do more harm to them than help. Ha.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby boinbi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 am

May I know whether u all control the handphone or computer usage of yr kids when they are at hm after school? How to do it?

boinbi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby boinbi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am

May I know whether u all control the handphone or computer usage of yr kids when they are at hm after school? How to do it?

boinbi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 am

From the time we gave DD her phone, the rule is, she has to put the phone back in my study room when she is back from school. If she forgets, she gets a warning. After 2 warnings, phone is confiscated for the week.

As for computers, they do not know the passwords to our computers.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child