School bus or public bus for Primary school pupils.

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

At what age will you allow your child to take public bus home alone?

Primary 1
No votes
Primary 2
No votes
Primary 3
No votes
Primary 4
28%
Primary 5
44%
Primary 6
11%
NEVER
17%

Total votes : 18

School bus or public bus for Primary school pupils.

Postby PhoBIA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:08 am

Would like to know parents view on children taking the public bus after school alone.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: School bus or public bus for Primary school pupils.

Postby sparks » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 pm

I only allow dd to take public bus from P6 when she was ready. Ds started earlier in P5 cos he keeps getting bus-sick when he took the school bus. But they must carry hp with them when they start taking public transport. I make sure my helper knows what time they are expected to reach home.

For me, it's abt that right age. What's your concern?

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:32 am

DS is P6 and we allowed him to take bus himself since 2 days ago (Thursday) although I still pick him up at the bus stop to cross the road. The T junction is very difficult to cross because there is no traffic light and the traffic is heavy. There was a fatal accident at that junction a few years ago so we think it is better to accompany him crossing that road.

I guess when the child is ready to take bus him/herself depends on the the child's maturity and judgement.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:38 am

My dd and ds started the "light" mode when there were p3 and p4. Took bus home after cca as school bus was charging $5 for each of them and public bus to home is really convenient. So they started to hold a phone since that stage.

From p4 and p5, they will take public bus home everyday. Now at p6, they are independent and felt "proud" of being good at buses and MRT. The initial worry was about crossing car park near school to get to bus stop. So we got to keep educating them about road safety.

We are thinking my letting my p2 dd take the public bus next year. Reason being, she is in am session next year. It makes sense to be driving both kids to school. Due to cca, etc... There are maybe 2-3 days to take the school bus so it doesn't really make sense. Ds is p6 next year. We are thinking of asking him to bring her home. On days that he can't, we intend to get maid to fetch her until we think she is ready. I personally think p4 is a better time. For girls, besides safety, i was worried about molestors, etc... But path home is short and area is open.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:41 am

Molesters can be on bus too. Gotta teaching alot more on how to protect themselves.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby OrangeJuice » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:29 am

hi, just to share my thots here ...

my DH has always urged me to let kids take public bus to school, to be fair he only suggested this when they were in P5. However, I am always against it and thot they shld only do so in Sec 1.

For girls (and actually even boys as nowadays we hear more of cases where boys get molested too), I am concerned about molestors, when they are still in pri school, they may be too young to understand that they are being taken advantage of and they may not know how to ask for help. even if you teach them what to do they may freeze in fear as they may be in shock.

Do also think about the kids' carry load when they go to school, like my DS, other than a heavy school bag, he has to bring along his musical instrument on CCA days. Imagine him in a crowded bus struggling to board and/or alight.

Lastly, we always forget about the weather in Singapore. On days when it is clear and sunny, we will think our kids can handle public transport. But if you think about the days when the weather gets wet, with thunderstorms etc, it can be quite a hassle for our children to get to school on their own. This is esp so when they still have to walk a distance between bus stop and school, their uniform and shoes may be all wet by the time they reach school. And also, imagine them having to struggle with a bag (maybe plus extra instrument or equivalent) and holding an umbrella (made worse if there are strong winds).

Hence my take is if the kids' school is not near home, if they hv to cross a road, and if they hv to carry an extra load other than schoolbag on CCA days, then let them hv the comfort of taking a schoolbus until they are physically big enuf and mentally mature enuf. At least, my take is up to P6....not forgetting that if they take public bus at P6 they have to be mindful to be punctual for exams, just read recently that a kid was on his way to take PSLE in MRT and it broke down, luckily his mom was with him and she was smart enough to ask a stranger that she met in a car park to drop them off to school...imagine what if the child is alone and had no idea how to get to school on
time.

Importantly, a mobile phone is important if your child takes the public bus :)

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bebebub » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:12 am

Dd started taking public transport after she turned 10.

On public buses, I told dd to take seats b4 the exit door, choose individual seats (if available) or take the outer seat instead of the window seats.

Be aware of her surrounding n dun glue to her book or mobile phone.

Dd text me once she gets into the bus. This way I can estimate the time she gets home.

I noticed dd is more diligent in organizing her school bag ever since she started taking public transport. It is rather cumbersome to manage a haversack, a handcarry bag n a musical instrument. And at times an umbrella. But she said it is 'no big deal' :smile:

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby patntee » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Reading this reminds me of incidences when I took public bus during school days. Can't recall at what age but there was once when I was seated and one guy who was standing next to my seat kept rubbing his private area against my shoulder. The bus was very crowded and I did not know better at that time. In future when my girl starts taking public bus on her own, I will make sure she carries a safety pin with her at all times.

patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Girl fought back in train

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PhoBIA » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 am

Ds is in P1 and he has been complaining about taking school bus.The journey takes about an hour whereas if he takes public bus it's only 30 mins. He also complains that the school bus is very noisy and some children are very rowdy.

Even though we paid for the school bus, but I had been sending him to school on most of the days. Only problem is my schedule doesn't allow me to fetch him during evening time.

Thus contemplating whether to let him take public bus home when he's in P2.

So many friends were discouraging me. Even his form teacher was not very pro with this suggestion. Suggested maybe delaying a little more.
Now I :shrug:, headache.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child