What would you do?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What would you do?

Postby heyhoe » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:59 pm

My ds1 has quit student care since this year and has been staying at home. Last Friday, a boy from the previous student care; which is a year younger, came by our place. We've met this boy before and know that he plays with our ds1 online games.

He just sms ds1 and told him that he's outside our home. He came with his ipad and iphone and asked to be let in. Dh who happened to be on half day was shocked to find him there.

If you were Dh, would you let him in?

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: What would you do?

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:28 pm

What's your concern abt him paying your ds1 a visit?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm

How old is this kid?

I will let him in but I guess 1st thing I would want to check is if his parents are aware of his whereabouts. Friday being a school day, if the kid is still enrolled in student care, shouldn't he be there instead of at your door step.

2nd thing will be whether we had anything planned for DS to do and if DS is keen to play with this kid.

If there is nothing planned and DS wants to play and the kid's parents are ok, then fine, kid can stay and play. But I will tell the kid as well as DS that in future, prior arrangements need to be made and our permission sought before anyone turn up at our doorsteps.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 pm

I would also add that you might want to ask your son to check with you or your husband before admitting this friend or anyone else into the flat if he is alone at home. I would be concerned if my kids' friends suddenly drop by when I am not at home, and what if he brings other friends the next time? I also don't like my kids and their friends to be at home without an adult - I will accept responsibility for my own kids, but would not want to be responsible if something happens to someone else's kids if there is no adult around.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm curious

How did he know your add?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby coolbreeze » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Are you suspecting that this isn't his first visit?
How old is yr son?

coolbreeze
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:I'm curious

How did he know your add?

That would also be my primary concern.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I will accept responsibility for my own kids, but would not want to be responsible if something happens to someone else's kids if there is no adult around.

Agreed. What if the child's parents accuse the host of something they didn't do or let their son consume...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:10 am

Dear All,

We had set an agreement with ds1 that he's not allowed to bring his friends back without our permission.This is one of the condition set in order for him to stay at home instead of student care.Reason being there is no adult at home and for his safety.

I did ask DS1 how did this boy knew our address.According to him, his friends who came to our place for a playdate gave this to him.I gave my ds1 the benefit of the doubt, partly because he stayed back at school 3 days a week (they're from different school) plus at P5 he has lots of homework to do.

I think this boy wanted to play with my ds1 online games.I admit ds1 love to play but I set times when he can plus so that he doesn't neglect his responsibilities.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby heyhoe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 am

As the course of action, do you think it is best that I install camera? Also, do you think I should try and get in touch with the boy's parent? As a parent, I would definitely wants to know what is going on but I would like to hear others' opinion.Then again., will I get the boy in trouble?

Anyway ds1 only have this boy's number and he's no longer at the student care.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child