Year end holidays for sec school

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Year end holidays for sec school

Postby zbear » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:13 am

My Sec 2 ds is bored to death with the upcoming long school holidays. He is not active and I don't want him to spend too much time on the PC/phone.

Any ideas on how to fill time for teenage boys?

Thanks

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Year end holidays for sec school

Postby A better tomorrow » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 pm

My dd is also very bored after the exams .. I wonder how can we survive for the next 2more months of holidays. :(

A better tomorrow
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 33mama » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:25 pm

same here.... why do they end school so early? rush the syllabus... SA2 btw mid to end sep then whole end year v free... haiz...

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby isetan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Would you say Yes to them if they want to go out with their friends? Am referring to 2-3 times a week if their friends ask them to go out.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 33mama » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:29 pm

isetan wrote:Would you say Yes to them if they want to go out with their friends? Am referring to 2-3 times a week if their friends ask them to go out.

currently he is asking for about once a week. so it's ok for me... he goes back to school to play basketball and soccer with his friends though... very into sports.. but still complains v bored... i am also thinking how to fill his time... :shrug:

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 33mama » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Just curious... IP schools also start hols the same time as sec schools?

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:40 pm

My ds school holiday starting on 23 oct..

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

33mama wrote:same here.... why do they end school so early? rush the syllabus... SA2 btw mid to end sep then whole end year v free... haiz...

I think it's because 'O' levels have been moved earlier to avoid the 'first 3 mths' issue in JC. 'O' levels used to be in Nov with results released in March. Since the Sec 1-3 kids need to be out of school by the start of the 'O' levels, everything moves earlier.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 am

33mama wrote:Just curious... IP schools also start hols the same time as sec schools?

Nearly so, I think. Maybe a bit later? My daughter's last day (IP school) is 1 Nov, but she has already finished exams and is doing non-academic stuff already.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:05 am

A better tomorrow wrote:My dd is also very bored after the exams .. I wonder how can we survive for the next 2more months of holidays. :(

Is she interested in crafts or cooking? My daughter is still busy with school stuff until mid-Nov, but I am preparing ideas for after that. She has expressed interest in learning how to use a sewing machine, and she wants to try baking cakes and cookies for Christmas. Christmas is a good reason to make cards, presents etc. And she loves to read, so she can go to the library as often as she wants. I'm also thinking of making a list of places that she could go and explore with friends - maybe museums, Esplanade, some of the park connectors etc.

I wonder if there are volunteer opportunities for teenagers that they can be involved in during the school holidays? Schools organise stuff but usually during term time when kids are busier. Holidays are a good time for them to do things like helping to clean homes or outdoor areas, maybe organising a garage sale or bake sale etc. I would be happy to hear of some activties that my kids might be able to get involved in.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child