All about helping the child to get more organized

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

All about helping the child to get more organized

Postby sembgal » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi Parents, can you share your tips how you get your kids to be more organized and stay focused on task. I read that organization is a skill learned over time.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: All about helping the child to get more organized

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Which areas? Studies or other ore general areas? Some kids are already OK in some areas but disorganised in others, so which specific areas seem to need help?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:06 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Which areas? Studies or other ore general areas? Some kids are already OK in some areas but disorganised in others, so which specific areas seem to need help?

Not studies. Like remembering to bring home water bottle, more on self help organizational skill.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 pm

sembgal wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Which areas? Studies or other ore general areas? Some kids are already OK in some areas but disorganised in others, so which specific areas seem to need help?

Not studies. Like remembering to bring home water bottle, more on self help organizational skill.

How old is he? Can he read? I used to get my daughter (very disorganised person in some ways) to put a notebook with a list of things to bring home in her schoolbag. After many reminders and nagging, she got into the habit of checking the list when packing to come home. We had a similar list pasted beside our front door for going to school. She had a folder in her schoolbag for any pieces of paper that were supposed to travel to and from school.

My daughter is very visual and was an early reader, so we just had lists all over the place for whatever the issue happened to be at the time - preparing to do homework, before/during/after showering, putting things away etc. Once it became habitual to do things a certain way, we could focus on something else. Is this the sort of thing you are asking about?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:47 pm

It is not academic as she is currently doing P1 learning with me at home. Her reading is good too. Her kindergarten teacher in school commented it is more on organization. Like getting her to coordinate to keep her things in bag, collect water bottle and get ready for dismissal. There's a few occasions she left her water bottle in school. I'm worried that when she goes to primary school, she may be absent-minded and forget this or that. What types of books can I read up to help my child improve on this aspect? Any tips to share?

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:49 pm

You can probably google for advice on helping a child be organised. I can't remember reading any particular book, but there is probably som info on child-rearing or homeschooling websites.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tamama » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

My girl is the same type with yours. Her stuff is just everywhere. She is that carefree about her things. Even one time left her daddy's ipad in the restrarant. She played. The food came. She put the ipad beside her on the table. And eat. And leave. She never check or take a look on the table before she goes. Happily run after her brother to the exit. I of course picked the ipad up. And later in the car ride home she still didn't mention the ipad. After we were home then I asked her and her response was really worrying me cos she just not care!
Before the ipad in the restrarant incident of course her books she brought out were missing, her water bottles, her pencil cases....
Scolding, useless. Threatening, useless. Learn from consequence, got some use but still she cannot generalize the organization skill. She is 9. I think she still need to miss a lot of stuff...

Tamama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Tamama » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

My girl is the same type with yours. Her stuff is just everywhere. She is that carefree about her things. Even one time left her daddy's ipad in the restrarant. She played. The food came. She put the ipad beside her on the table. And eat. And leave. She never check or take a look on the table before she goes. Happily run after her brother to the exit. I of course picked the ipad up. And later in the car ride home she still didn't mention the ipad. After we were home then I asked her and her response was really worrying me cos she just not care!
Before the ipad in the restrarant incident of course her books she brought out were missing, her water bottles, her pencil cases....
Scolding, useless. Threatening, useless. Learn from consequence, got some use but still she cannot generalize the organization skill. She is 9. I think she still need to miss a lot of stuff...

Tamama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 pm

I just make a lot of rules and keep them at it until it becomes habitual. For the restaurant issue, I always made my kids stop and look around before leaving. We did it every time until it became habitual. It's a lot of work for the parents, though.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Parents, I found some great resources and like to share with you too on how to help your child get more organized. I spent time going through the video with my child to let her see from a 3rd party perspective on why organization skills is important.

http://www.greatschools.org/students/ho ... d-video.gs

http://www.greatschools.org/students/ac ... 2-video.gs

http://on.aol.com/video/teach-kids-to-o ... -278595428

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child