My child keeps borrowing money from friends.

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My child keeps borrowing money from friends.

Postby nddaen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:36 pm

My dd borrows money from her friends although we give her enough to spend for the day. We only found out bout this when the parent complained to the teacher. When we asked her she says that she wanted to buy more food during recess. Have told her she should not borrow money and to inform us if she does not have enough money. But she still does it. Can any of you please advise how to handle this issue? We had gone to the extent of even caning her but it is still happening. Would appreciate any advise as we do not know what else we can do. Thank you.

nddaen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: My child keeps borrowing money from friends.

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Does she repay what she borrows? Does she borrow even when she has money in her pocket? What is her reason for borrowing if she has money on her?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nddaen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:52 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Does she repay what she borrows? Does she borrow even when she has money in her pocket? What is her reason for borrowing if she has money on her?

Whenever we ask her the reason she says she doesn't know. She repays the money but there were occasion she claims that she forgot. Usually she spends only half of her pocket money but at times she finishes it. Initially I suspected she was buying stationery from the bookshop but she denies this and also we do nt find anything new in her bag.

nddaen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jetsetter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:00 pm

How old if your dd? Maybe she wants to save up for something she desires? Or maybe she wants to save money to help someone?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CMF » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:06 pm

How old is your child? Perhaps you could try asking her to itemize each day what she spends on, so that you can determine why she is borrowing from her friends. If she needs to buy extra food, maybe you can pack a snack box as extra for her recess.

Important that you determine why she needs extra money.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nddaen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:17 pm

CMF wrote:How old is your child? Perhaps you could try asking her to itemize each day what she spends on, so that you can determine why she is borrowing from her friends. If she needs to buy extra food, maybe you can pack a snack box as extra for her recess.

Important that you determine why she needs extra money.

My dd is 7 yrs old. We had already asked her to itemize her spending and at times we do give a some extra food to take with her. At times she brings back the packed food but finishes her pocket money.

nddaen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bebebub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Assuming that she is not in any kind of trouble, give her sufficient packed food and drinks to bring to school, and dun give her any pocket money. Remind her that now that she has food, she has no reason to borrow from her friends, and that you will not give her any money to repay her friends if she does it again.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:29 pm

She's not being bullied or anything? Have you ruled out extortion?

My dd's p1 classmate was being extorted by a few p2 boys :shock:
Overheard his parents complaining to form teacher during PTM.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:40 pm

u need to teach her to write "IOU of sorts" on a notepad, indicating date/amount/name of creditor. i sincerely hope she is not pulling a fast one, knowing that some 7yos hv poor memory. or hv a lot of spare pocket $ to loan friends. continue to comms with your dd...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:53 pm

nddaen.
at 7years old, it is not too bad.
you can consider talking to the form teacher to tell the class that no borrowing allowed. kids can only borrow from teacher.
my P1's class has this policy and kids and parents were made known right from the start. teacher had gone through the rationale of this policy (with kids and parents) and these P1s are all so willing to follow such rules.
my boy had on some occasions borrowed and returned money from his form teacher, subject teacher and other classes' form teacher because blur mummy forgot to top up his wallet :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child