How to work with children with low attention span

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to work with children with low attention span

Postby ck123 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Original Title: Help needed for children with low attention span?

Hi

Can anyone share your secrets in helping low attention span child to concentrate on their work?

My son has been with Kumon for about 4 years, I sent him there because he cannot sit still and have low attention span. Although he managed to move up the levels, I still have problems and could not think of any ways to stop him from day dreaming.

Any suggestions?????????

Thanks

ck123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby EN » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi

My daughter has the same problem. I get to know of her low attention span from the feedback received from her kindergarten teacher. She is now in primary 3 & I dont think she change much. At a recent games carnival I attended, I saw my daughter looking elsewhere & not listening while the instruction is given out on how the games will be conducted. All in all there are about 6 games played & she just does not listen to any. However, she is able to carry out the games played without any problem.

Back to the classroom scenario, I informed her teachers of her short attention span problem. The nice teachers get her to sit in front & will call her out to answer questions to ensure that she is with the class. Does the effort works? At least she does not fall asleep in class anymore :lol:

Since very little input comes from school as her attention span is extremely short, I coach her at home. Found it overwhelming & hire a tuition teacher to help. She does better when given personalised attention or be in a class of smaller group.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Is 'low attention span' similar to 'hyper active'?
Is the lack of stimulating activities causing these kids to be bored and tune out completely?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ck123 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:09 pm

I still can't figure out. My boy is active, very active on things that interest him .........

Sometimes he is quick but sometimes doesn't seems to get a simiple concept.......

Very frustrating.............

ck123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:30 am

I am not sure if you folks are referring to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Find out more here http://www.spark.org.sg/adhd.html

My son was diagnosed by a psychologist to have mild ADHD and interestingly, he scored ~130 for performance IQ. If I recalled correctly, it means he has better psychomotor skills and can learnt very well through doing things. So while he has high energy level to want to do things well, he lack focus and change his mind very quickly.

He is restless most of the time (I wont called him hyper-active) and daydream when things do not interest him. He still is this way until today and the pyshologist said he will grow out of it as he matures and is able to exercise more control over his mind and actions. To help him, we have to watch his diet to reduce sugar level but on the other hand, cannot deprive him of snacks because ADHD kids need "extrinsic" motivation. :) He is also taking DHA daily to improve on his focus. We were also advised not to expose him to too much stimulants e.g. computer games and TV, and preferably divert his energy to sports.

He went thru a series of slight problems when he was in P4/P5, but I was glad that his form teachers understood his problem and collaborated with us. As EN had described, he loses attention in class quite easily and many times when his teacher try to catch him by asking him questions, he could answer coz he already understand the topic.

If your kids is exhibiting symptons of ADHD, do not feel uncomfortable in sending them for a proper diagnosis to confirm. It is NOT a mental problem or illness. You need to understand the condition and support them until they grow out of it.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:32 am

Hi

I think mine is more of a ADD than ADHD.

But putting myselft into her shoe, I remember trying to listen to teacher but just simply cannot concentrate. The mind automatically switch off no matter how hard I tried. Then the sleepiness came :oops:

I learn better if I'm doing things. Not sure if it is the same as my daughter but I think time to send her to psychologist to do some testing.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:32 am

EN wrote:Hi

I think mine is more of a ADD than ADHD.

But putting myselft into her shoe, I remember trying to listen to teacher but just simply cannot concentrate. The mind automatically switch off no matter how hard I tried. Then the sleepiness came :oops:

I learn better if I'm doing things. Not sure if it is the same as my daughter but I think time to send her to psychologist to do some testing.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the psychologist did mention to perform the test after certain age. I cant remember clearly but I think it could be 6 and above. The test could be inaccurate if done too early because the child could simply be just playful and not wanting to focus attention on anything. Maybe you could check with your pyschologist before the test.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby aggellim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am

hi heutistmeintag :
MY SON THIS yr p4 , last yr l bring him to do test (mensa) he was diagnosed by a psychologist to hv mild ADHD and interestingl he was > 130 for performance lQ ,my problem as same like u (heutistmeintag ) what l do , we hired an ex-school teacher to teach him at home, since he was 5 yr old . my son like reading vy much esp storybook 3,4hrs .now he was studying elite school,he performance (all the exam ) p1-p4 math >95up sci>90up eng>80 chi>80. ever the teacher say he was bright , intelligent.the only problem is DAYDREAM, but he was behave in the class.

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 am

aggellim wrote:now he was studying elite school,he performance (all the exam ) p1-p4 math >95up sci>90up eng>80 chi>80. ever the teacher say he was bright , intelligent.the only problem is DAYDREAM, but he was behave in the class.

So i guess the day dream part is cos school is not stimulating enough. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ck123 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 am

Hi heytustneubtag,

I think my son got all the above mentioned. Where can I bring him for a diagnose?

Thanks

ck123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child