Topics to discuss with teenagers

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Topics to discuss with teenagers

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Recently DS's friends (secondary 1) chatted about tolerance towards homosexuals. I am compiling a list of topics that teenagers are likely to talk among themselves so I can talk about it with DS first so he won't get wrong information.

Please feel free to add.

Homosexuality
Racial harmony
Religions
Drugs
Gambling, Toto, 4D
Stress
BGR
Sex
Gangs
Bully
Computer addiction

Anything else?

TIA

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Topics to discuss with teenagers

Postby BeContented » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Yeah. I saw your thread, had wanted to ask you share share the topics. ;)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:49 pm

BeContented wrote:Yeah. I saw your thread, had wanted to ask you share share the topics. ;)

I must plant seeds in DS's minds. Must pre-empt first :wink:

There are topics that I avoided such as teenagers suicides and cutting. I don't want to introduce ideas in his head. But I talked about suicides before. Adult suicides.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:59 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
BeContented wrote:Yeah. I saw your thread, had wanted to ask you share share the topics. ;)

I must plant seeds in DS's minds. Must pre-empt first :wink:

There are topics that I avoided such as teenagers suicides and cutting. I don't want to introduce ideas in his head. But I talked about suicides before. Adult suicides.

Hmmmm. Actually I kinda spoke to dd about self-injury last year. Came across some articles & it seems that gals tend to do it more. I just touched lightly to get some message across that it's wrong & ask her to speak to me if stressed. With Internet these days, I think they already have many many ideas in them. Just whether they share with us....... So I guess I rather bring up the topic rather than avoid.

DS doesn't talk much, for him I have to probe a lot & he still doesn't talk much. But he allows me to read his WA & access his accounts (so far), but am trying to minimize that. So on off I'll chat with him if I get uncomfortable with what I see.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 pm

A few more:

What to look for in a spouse
Appearance (of self, of opposite sex)
Materialism, wants vs needs
Role in society, contribution to society
What gives happiness/satisfaction
Care for environment, wastefulness, consumerism
Clothing (how much to reveal - I guess this is more for girls!)

I usually use newspaper articles and current events as a starting point for discussion, or something that happens among friends and relatives that we hear of. Also whatever seems relevant at the time depending on what's happening in their lives.
Last edited by slmkhoo on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Peer Pressure?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm

zbear wrote:Peer Pressure?

Like branded goods?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 pm

I think many of the topics can already be discussed and revisited over the years with a primary school aged child. Teenage years may be a little late for some. The only topics I shy away from are homosexuality and sex. I will leave these to the P6 year. But they know that no one (including teachers, haha) is supposed to touch certain regions of their bodies or kiss them EVEN with their permission. Didn't want to talk about that but the unfortunate case of the teacher having sex with the schoolboy came out in the papers. Major eek moment for me.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 pm

I think I've covered all topics at some point in time. Not seriously sit down kind of conversation but more like casually input my opinion whenever relevant topic arises.

Agreed with ngl2010, must pre-empt so the earlier I start, the more receptive they are to adapting my opinion as theirs (whether consciously or subconsciously)

I talk to my kids about pre-marital sex, homosexuality and cutting (a schoolmate cut herself so the topic arises). Basically there is no forbidden topic. They can ask me anything they want. I rather they ask me than friends or internet

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:31 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
zbear wrote:Peer Pressure?

Like branded goods?

Could be group bullying or ostracising a particular classmate.
How do you react when someone instigate such undesirable act against a classmate. A classmate was ostracised in p4 so the topic arised.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child