How to get to know kid's friends?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to get to know kid's friends?

Postby Oppsgal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Do you invite kid's friends to house? Any other suggestion on the venue other than inviting to house?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to get to know kid's friends?

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 pm

What age? If they are young, the other parents may not like them meeting outside.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:49 pm

slmkhoo wrote:What age? If they are young, the other parents may not like them meeting outside.

Still nursery. Kid keeps asking can bring friend home. So what age do you think is good to ask the friends around?

Actually I prefer ask them outdoor, as I am a little lazy to clean up after guests. :siam:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Oppsgal wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:What age? If they are young, the other parents may not like them meeting outside.

Still nursery. Kid keeps asking can bring friend home. So what age do you think is good to ask the friends around?

Actually I prefer ask them outdoor, as I am a little lazy to clean up after guests. :siam:

You will have to invite the mothers/caregivers too. Home is probably safer unless there are other adults with you. Playgrounds are good if the caregivers can be there too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Oppsgal wrote:Do you invite kid's friends to house? Any other suggestion on the venue other than inviting to house?

Yes to the house. Both my kids learn to play hosts from K1. Time is set to minimise my stress but during holidays, the kids will generally stay at least 3 hours, up to 6 hours (if I have enough food on standby!). You can "control" the situation by setting limits beforehand and deciding the number of kids you are comfortable with. The parents usually come the first time and just do drop offs thereafter.

another venue is indoor playground but unless you are paying for the other kids, you will need to discuss with the other parents first.

Botanic garden is another possibility, but the weather is capricious.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Really? :evil: Maybe I should wait for somebody to invite my kid over instead. :smile:

ammonite wrote:
Oppsgal wrote:Do you invite kid's friends to house? Any other suggestion on the venue other than inviting to house?

Yes to the house. Both my kids learn to play hosts from K1. Time is set to minimise my stress but during holidays, the kids will generally stay at least 3 hours, up to 6 hours (if I have enough food on standby!). You can "control" the situation by setting limits beforehand and deciding the number of kids you are comfortable with. The parents usually come the first time and just do drop offs thereafter.

another venue is indoor playground but unless you are paying for the other kids, you will need to discuss with the other parents first.

Botanic garden is another possibility, but the weather is capricious.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm

The Polliwogs
Go Go Bambini
Royce Play Gym
Little O'Zone
xPlorer Kid
Kids Amaze

But bear in mind u need to chit chat with other parents for 2 hrs, and all must be prepared to travel to these play gyms.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Oppsgal wrote:Really? :evil: Maybe I should wait for somebody to invite my kid over instead. :smile:

I prefer to have their friends over than the other way round, unless I know for sure that the other mother is very attentive, or that the group of kids all play very well together. My boys do also go to others' homes and for these, I know the mothers and kids very well. When the children come to my house as guests, I will send photo updates to the parents I don't know so well.

It is a valuable chance for the children to learn social skills, to act as hosts, and also for me to observe how they behave in a group and correct them when they are overbearing. When they were younger, I would do a short post mortem with them after their friends left. When they visited others as guests, I would remind them of things like greeting all the adults, taking their own plates out, not going into anyone's bedrooms (you'd be surprised how many kids wanted to go into my bedroom!) and saying thank you to the host at the end.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

home is definitely cheaper & more cozy. usually, the dads drop their kids here with mine to play at my place while they go out for coffee. I serve his playdates drinks and snacks in Ikea cups and bowls. If they leave their maid with their lil masters, i will give the maid something to drink/eat too. The maid will help me jaga the boys whilst I watch tv.

The main reason why your kid want their friends to visit is cos he/she wants to show them his new toys & books. ur child can't do that if u go to a play gym.

It trains one to be indept, hones one's social skills like ammonite said, and helps one gain more friends.
Last edited by jetsetter on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

-
Last edited by jetsetter on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child