How to motivate child to write

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to motivate child to write

Postby kylene » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 am

Hi,

My DS is in K2 this year. He is in half day childcare and having problems finishing his Chinese writing at school. The teacher says he will write 1 word, then zone out , and she has to constantly remind him to continue to write. He is also slower than other classmates for other writing assignments.

It seems to be that he's not able to focus on the task. The Chinese teacher keeps a very strict class and the children do not talk at all during writing so I don't think anyone is distracting him. He is however able to write the new words he learns in school (correctly ) for me when I ask him to at home.

Any ideas how I can motivate him to complete his work in school? He has to bring him work home to do because he can't finish in school . I feel that the time in school is "wasted" and because time at home can be spent on so many other things like play and rest.

Many thanks in advance !

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to motivate child to write

Postby ms_soh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 am

Hellooo kylene

Does this issue happen only for Chinese class? Or for most work in school?

ms_soh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 am

hi kylene

if he didn't finish the Chinese writing in class, how did he manage to memorise the strokes and replicate the character for you when he gets home?

another possibility is self-confidence? i.e. I already know by writing it once, so I dun need to write the full set in school...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kylene » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

ms_soh wrote:Hellooo kylene

Does this issue happen only for Chinese class? Or for most work in school?

Hi ms_soh

Most work that requires writing, worst for chinese

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kylene » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:28 pm

jetsetter wrote:hi kylene

if he didn't finish the Chinese writing in class, how did he manage to memorise the strokes and replicate the character for you when he gets home?

another possibility is self-confidence? i.e. I already know by writing it once, so I dun need to write the full set in school...

Hi ,

Maybe he learnt after writing a few characters ? The full set is 30 times for each character.

Think it's not self confidence because it happens for other non repetitive work like English as well.

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:42 pm

kylene wrote:

Hi ,

Maybe he learnt after writing a few characters ? The full set is 30 times for each character.

Think it's not self confidence because it happens for other non repetitive work like English as well.

:yikes: 30 times each character? That is ridiculous.

A bit sticky. You don't want to give your child the impression that he can choose not to do his work but yet 30 times each character is excessive. Any way you can talk to the teacher or the principal about this?

I think it is the teacher's easy way out. With the kids occupied with writing, she does not have to conduct any activities.

At preschool level, there is no need for a lot of writing. Out of a 30-45min session, written work is usually limited to the last 10mins. Most kids complete within that timeframe with some taking a little longer.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kylene » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Funz wrote:
kylene wrote:

Hi ,

A bit sticky. You don't want to give your child the impression that he can choose not to do his work but yet 30 times each character is excessive. Any way you can talk to the teacher or the principal about this?

I think it is the teacher's easy way out. With the kids occupied with writing, she does not have to conduct any activities.

At preschool level, there is no need for a lot of writing. Out of a 30-45min session, written work is usually limited to the last 10mins. Most kids complete within that timeframe with some taking a little longer.

Hi Funz,

I was shocked to learn that they make the kids write so many words too. But my son is the only 1 who cannot finish his work in school, out of a class of 12. Surely, I thought , the teacher has given the kids ample time then.

As he could replicate the new words learnt each week I also thought maybe then I'll just tell the teacher it's ok if he doesn't finish his work. But as you rightly pointed out, it may give him the impression that it's ok not to finish his work.

I'm concerned about his apparent lack of focus because it seems to the teachers that he can do his work but lacks concentration.

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kylene » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm

The teacher also said that in P1 there'll be more writing so that's why they are making the kids write so much now . Is that true?

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:13 pm

kylene wrote:The teacher also said that in P1 there'll be more writing so that's why they are making the kids write so much now . Is that true?

I'm sorry, but I think that is a silly reason to give - so should your child be given work equivalent to a P3 or P6 kid to be prepared? Work given should be age-appropriate in quantity and difficulty. Trust your child to develop as he grows to cope with realistic demands along his educational pathway. If I were you, I would speak to the teacher about this.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Funz wrote:
kylene wrote:Hi ,

Agreed with Funz. 30 per set is way too many! Do you mean progressively add one stroke per box, therefore if character has total 15 strokes => 15 boxes, followed by 15 times of the complete character?

What do you mean abt other non-repetitive work like Eng? You mean he also leaves a lot of homework to bring home to do?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child